A staunch detractor “considers” sailing on Regal Princess

Oh2B@C

I too like a wrap around Promenade deck as DH and I like to walk for exercise. That said, we did sail the Regal last December and thoroughly enjoyed the walking the track on the sports deck. Great views from up high and it seemed that a 1-mile walk took less time than on a Promenade (though it wouldn't but it just seemed that way!).

The bar adjacent to Crown Grill wasn't bothersome and our table was about midway from the entrance to CG and the furthest point away.

We wanted to see what the new builds were like and the price was right as was the timing of the cruise so we went for it. Surprisingly, we might would sail Regal or Royal again even though we prefer a smaller ship!!

You brought up the very things I was worried about.... It came down to DH & I sailing at New Years... We were down to Royal Caribbean's Navigator or Princess' Regal. Prices were the same... Platinum on both lines... What got DH to say yes to Regal- THE FOOD! Alfredo's was the bigger draw for DH.

Of course getting out of Minnesota in the winter time is sometimes all that matters for us!

Hope you report back on your sailing and I promise to report back after our sailing.;)

I think I may have read on CC somewhere that when Royal gets its dry dock (don't know when) they are going to make those stairs for customers too.

That sounds like a costly mistake.

We're on the REGAL 10/24...anxious to see if it's really an issue.

I am glad to see from the comments that no one had a negative experience with the Crown Grill being attached to Wheelhouse Bar and vice versa. Though I did see a recent thread complaining about just that. I think it could affect more my enjoyment of Wheelhouse Bar since I spent quite a bit of time there (as opposed to Crown Grill where I may only splurge once). I do like the Wheelhouse as an enclosed retreat during the day. From the comments so far, it looks like it will be a very small issue if not at all.

As for the front-facing view, yes, that would be a disappointment. The Crown for example has front facing views on Decks 7 and 16, plus the super-cool "patio" above the bridge. I like to jump up and down and pretend that the Captain is cursing at me one floor below...maybe jabbing the ceiling with a broom handle (just kidding Princess...:))

I think the Regal has a small viewing area at the front of Deck 16, if what I see on the deck plan is right. But that would be much less available space overall than the Crown of course.

And I guess I forgot to mention Adagio. One of my favorite little haunts to go and have a quiet read or play trivia. Not enough of a pet-peeve to make me skip the ship, but I would miss it at times.

Update on booking probabilities: Unfortunately I can't book too far in advance, I don't know what my schedule will look like, so I may have to wait until well into September. By then I fear the ship will be sold out. Unless a repo from NYC to FLL is not that popular (?) And I can't book it now under the $100 deposit special, because final payment is due August 9 and I know for sure I won't be ready to commit by then.

Of course getting out of Minnesota in the winter time is sometimes all that matters for us!

Montreal too, believe me!! :eek:

I wish I met more Americans from the northern states... Every time I meet an American from a southerly state, and I tell them I am from Canada, they always say the same thing "Oh. It's so cold in Canada..." I always reply "ever been to North Dakota or Minnesota in January?"

BTW, in case that guy is reading this: it's 30C/86F in Montreal today :p

"Oh. It's so cold in Canada..."

I actually know someone who has never been to Canada. He is certain that the entire country is covered in snow & ice year-round.

We went to Montréal in April about 20 years ago. I had my wool coat, mittens & toque in pocket...it was about 34 degrees C (about 95 F) that day.

I've been wondering what all the fuss has been about on both sides, so finally we are going on REGAL in early November on an entirely familiar and fave itinerary. Even if we end up preferring Crown Class (correct term?) in the end for Caribbean sailing, I think it's important to try the new ship and experience it for myself.

Based on everything I have read here on CC, and everything I know so well of the Crown Class for myself, I suspect my imaginary favorite cruise ship will be a combination of the two designs.

I am pretty sure I never want to be on an Allure or Oasis size ship so please Princess don't go there!!

"Oh. It's so cold in Canada..."

I actually know someone who has never been to Canada. He is certain that the entire country is covered in snow & ice year-round.

We went to Montréal in April about 20 years ago. I had my wool coat, mittens & toque in pocket...it was about 34 degrees C (about 95 F) that day.

Reminds me of the old Molson ad. LOL. I was born in Toronto. I tell Americans I was born in an igloo. Some of them believe me. ;) It's kind of miraculous how the snow and ice know to stop precisely at the US/Canadian border. :)

I am glad to see from the comments that no one had a negative experience with the Crown Grill being attached to Wheelhouse Bar and vice versa. Though I did see a recent thread complaining about just that. I think it could affect more my enjoyment of Wheelhouse Bar since I spent quite a bit of time there (as opposed to Crown Grill where I may only splurge once). I do like the Wheelhouse as an enclosed retreat during the day. From the comments so far, it looks like it will be a very small issue if not at all.

I imagine Wheelhouse is fairly quiet over the prime dinner hour. Nonetheless, I think when I make my booking for last night of our Regal cruise this November, I will ask for more of an interior table. Never really bothered to request a particular table on CB(2or3), EP(1), or RU(2) and never was unhappy, but those were separate rooms.

Actually, GRAND PRINCESS does have a central staircase. It runs from Deck Four (Gala) all the way up to Deck 14 (Lido).
Yes, of course I'm aware of this but since it's blocked from passenger use above deck 7, it might as well not exist except in an emergency.

I think the Regal has a small viewing area at the front of Deck 16, if what I see on the deck plan is right.

Only front view (other than if booked in a cabin at the front) is in the Sanctuary area on deck 1.

So, for $40/day you can have a front view.

Here we go then

Features that are a major concern to me

OK, this list won’t have too many items, like I said before, funny how your attitude changes when things become personal…

1. Princess Live

I cannot for the life of me understand the thinking behind this. “OK Princess execs, let’s gut out the Explorer’s Lounge and replace it with this studio where our Cruise Directors can basically pretend they are Johnny Carson (oops I meant Jay Leno… Oops again, I meant Jimmy Fallon...). This can only be the result of a blackmail campaign by the a/m cruise directors to have a venue built so they can indulge in their desire to have all eyes focused on them as they tell average jokes. From the pictures, the seating looks uncomfortable and awkward, plus I heard they run trivia in there and folks have remarked on the awkwardness and discomfort factors. There are some movable chairs in the front one or two rows. If you sit there, trivia is easier. One plus to Princess Live! is that many of the events there are recorded and you can play them back on your cabin TV. So if you wanted to see something there but there was a time conflict, you may be able to see it later.

2. Pools on Lido Deck are not separated, and that ridiculous fountain show in the middle

I really LOVE the design where the Calypso and Neptune Pool areas are separated. If MUTS is annoying, (and I do mean IF), it’s nice to retreat to the other area and have the noise only a faint memory.

The (adult only) retreat pool is away from MUTS.

OMG, that is it for the major concerns. What the heck was I going on about all this time…

Design features that bother me to various degrees, but not enough that I cannot try to live with (starting from the lowest deck and working my way UP)

2. No wrap-around promenade

In all honesty, that ALMOST made it to category ONE. Why does it not? I guess partly because I don’t spend that much time pretending I am exercising by walking all around the promenade for hours on end. But I do like it as a place to find a somewhat quiet space at certain times of day and watch the sea go by. That will be the deciding factor over my final impression (if I go that is). If there’s tons of people coming and going and falling over each other, I will not be pleased.

There are areas with lounges at two places on both the port and starboard side where you can have that quiet space and watch the sea go by. Biggest problem is the areas are popular and you may have difficulty finding a vacant lounge. Also, the lounges have no overhead cover so there will be no shade other than what the ship provides when the sun is on the other side.

3. Lack of central stairs from Deck 7 upward

Don’t care, except when I am in the middle of the ship and I just don’t feel like hiking up from anywhere. If the darn elevators are packed and people become rude, that will affect my enjoyment. Not enough of a bother to really register because knowing myself, I’ll just go take the front or back stairs (aft and forward?) Not a problem at all if you book a cabin near the fore or aft elevators.

Things they got right

1. The buffet

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! More space, more choices, more variety. Not that little cramped broom closet with the same exact choices on both sides. WELL DONE.

2. Alfredo’s

I forget, is it free to eat there??? If so, then I am ALL IN.

No charge for the food at Alfredo's. Usual charge for beverages that have a charge elsewhere on the ship.

3. The Adults-only Retreat Pool looks nice. Again, if free to use, great addition. It's free.

I am neutral as to every other design feature unnamed in this post

See above in red.

I also say go for it! And particularly go for this cruise! I'll be on it and so will a large number of fun people, ready to celebrate Halloween with costumes, a dinner party and lots of fun.

I was on the Royal last year and the lack of center staircase was a non-issue. I never had to wait for an elevator when I used the forward elevators. Club 6 didn't really appeal to me and I never attended at night.

Princess Live isn't bad, just different. Prior to the Royal Class, when things were held in Explorers Lounge, I could never get seat. In PL, I haven't had a problem, and I can sit in a comfortable seat with no line of sight issues.

I sail solo and almost always book insides. The side facing cabins are great.

Hope to see you for Halloween. Please come and check our Roll call. Great group of people.

Maureen

Princess Live isn't bad, just different. Prior to the Royal Class, when things were held in Explorers Lounge, I could never get seat. In PL, I haven't had a problem, and I can sit in a comfortable seat with no line of sight issues.

Since Princess Live! has about the same number of seats that Explorers did, if you have no problem finding a seat it means passengers are avoiding the venue.

Since Princess Live! has about the same number of seats that Explorers did, if you have no problem finding a seat it means passengers are avoiding the venue.

Are you sure about the number of seats? Sure didn't look that way!

Give the Regal a try! We've been on her once (transatlantic) and the Royal 3 times. Like you, we were well aware of all the 'shortcomings' but came to love this class. The only thing we truly miss is Skywalker's. Horizon Court/Bistro can't be beat and the Atrium is spacious and inviting. One thing not mentioned on this thread is the smaller elevator size. You get used to it and it soon becomes a non-concern. Enjoy your cruise!!

On the Regal it was terrible, spilling out into the passageway.

No seats unless you got there 30-45 minutes before.

Not well planned at all. :(

I also say go for it! And particularly go for this cruise! I'll be on it and so will a large number of fun people, ready to celebrate Halloween with costumes, a dinner party and lots of fun.

I was on the Royal last year and the lack of center staircase was a non-issue. I never had to wait for an elevator when I used the forward elevators. Club 6 didn't really appeal to me and I never attended at night.

I sail solo and almost always book insides. The side facing cabins are great.

Hope to see you for Halloween. Please come and check our Roll call. Great group of people.

Maureen

Currently I am one of those darn LURKERS on your roll call...:o As I just started reading the thread, I have to wade though nearly 70 pages... but having fun doing it. You seem like a great bunch quite a few of whom already seem to know each other. I may join in shortly.

On the Regal it was terrible, spilling out into the passageway.

No seats unless you got there 30-45 minutes before.

Not well planned at all. :(

Explorers lounge also spilled out into the passageway. Take it easy guys. This was merely MY experience, not trying to convince anyone they are wrong.

Now now folks... Although it seems we found one pretty divisive design feature, mwah mwah mwah... :cool:

Since I am the OP, I will referee this for good: I don't think these venues can be adequately compared. Functionality and seating layout being so different. I don't think I'll go in there (in fact I KNOW I won't) for the talk-show style stuff like the Wake show. But I'll go if there's trivia, as I am the ultimate trivia-tragic.

Do they show movies in PL? Comedy acts? You know, stuff you would watch in a theater style venue?

I just love Explorer's Lounge so much, that's why PL is a hard-sell for me (plus what I said in the original post)

The (adult only) retreat pool is away from MUTS.

Point taken. I'd have to give the retreat pool high marks based on what I've heard and seen. That's where I would go for my pool/poolside-related relaxation.:cool:

Explorers lounge also spilled out into the passageway. Take it easy guys. This was merely MY experience, not trying to convince anyone they are wrong.

I was agreeing with your prior post!! :eek:

There is nothing to referee. :p

Are you sure about the number of seats? Sure didn't look that way!

Princess Live! has 280 seats.

Best number I could find for Explorers is "more than 250". Do you have a more exact number?