Still getting Virus Warnings on Criise Critics

SeeBurd

I just tried to log on from a bookmark I have saved on my computer and I instantly got a message from Norton that they blocked a virus and it closed the site. Instead of using the bookmark I then typed "cruisecritic.com" and came in that way and did not get a message from Norton. This is the first time this has happened but I haven't been on the site in several days.

Had this happen this morning when I signed into CC. This was the third time in the past week it happened, so this time I sent email to CC. Guess I should have read all the boards first. Glad CC is doing their part to try and keep us safe.

You better not. It's masked as SOCIAL ENGINEERING, so the code is trying to convince you to give them remote access. I had to laugh when someone suggested to hit C Alt Del.

Laugh all you want. I am the one that posted that. When your browser gets hijacked by this, do the "Control, Alt, Delete" to open the Task Manager. On the page it opens up on you will see your browser listed at the top. Click on it to highlight it and then click at the bottom "end task". It will close the browser. You do not have to reboot the computer, just reopen your browser.

It works. I know for a fact it works because my browser, Internet Explorer has been hijacked about 5 times now while opening Cruise Critic- Carnival that I have saved in my favorites. I can sit here and open 20 CC's and none will be hijacked. It is at random. But the directions I gave above will work to get you out without clicking the box it wants you to click. Other than doing my suggestion, you would need to shut the system down and reboot.

I just tried to log on from a bookmark I have saved on my computer and I instantly got a message from Norton that they blocked a virus and it closed the site. Instead of using the bookmark I then typed "cruisecritic.com" and came in that way and did not get a message from Norton. This is the first time this has happened but I haven't been on the site in several days.

The same thing happened to me yesterday. One minute I was reading a post here on CC then the page disappeared as if it closed on it's own. Right then a pop-up warning from Norton appeared that an "attempt" was blocked and haven't been on again until today. I remembered there had been problems several years ago with viruses and it was around holidays.

Laugh all you want. I am the one that posted that. When your browser gets hijacked by this, do the "Control, Alt, Delete" to open the Task Manager. On the page it opens up on you will see your browser listed at the top. Click on it to highlight it and then click at the bottom "end task". It will close the browser. You do not have to reboot the computer, just reopen your browser.

It works. I know for a fact it works because my browser, Internet Explorer has been hijacked about 5 times now while opening Cruise Critic- Carnival that I have saved in my favorites. I can sit here and open 20 CC's and none will be hijacked. It is at random. But the directions I gave above will work to get you out without clicking the box it wants you to click. Other than doing my suggestion, you would need to shut the system down and reboot.

You apparently missed my point. I know how to operate task manager.

I was not looking for help in my post. I was alerting CC they had a serious problem going on. And instead of them raising their red flags to their IT staff, they were actually attempting to tell me what I needed to do. And then worse, apparently move the thread to a place for user help.

In my IT network, this would have been moved to DEFCON 1 on July 3rd, and fixed within an hour.

You apparently missed my point. I know how to operate task manager.

I was not looking for help in my post. I was alerting CC they had a serious problem going on. And instead of them raising their red flags to their IT staff, they were actually attempting to tell me what I needed to do. And then worse, apparently move the thread to a place for user help.

In my IT network, this would have been moved to DEFCON 1 on July 3rd, and fixed within an hour.

Wait, in your very 1st post in this thread, you said "Someone help please. " only. Maybe it was just me, but it looked like you were looking for help. Now you are saying you know everything and you were offering help?

Wait, in your very 1st post in this thread, you said "Someone help please. " only. Maybe it was just me, but it looked like you were looking for help. Now you are saying you know everything and you were offering help?

It was my fourth post on the same issue.

Edited by SeeBurd

Would that be the one set up in your mother's basement?

Try staying off CC for a few days?:)

Perhaps you need to more seriously re-evaluate taking this advise.

Seriously? Did you contact them directly instead of starting a new thread 4 times?

I posted after each occurrence. each time I went to post to the thread it was gone. I included shots with each one.

This thread is going to get pulled with all the bickering. I think it was left to help people, but it isn't if we have to read thru a bunch of garbage.

Just help each other

Use an alternate browser (chrome, firefox), use ad blockers.

Use Ctrl-alt-delete to back out of it, if you get snagged with it. And report to them that it's still happening. CC can't fix this on their own, its their advertisers that pay to keep this site going.

I thought it was something with my computer too, glad to see it was not! Loud alerts, LOL! I shut down the browser both times, so I guess that was the right thing to do. I also figured whatever number wanted me to call immediately was trying to sell me something.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get those pop ups all the time from various sites. Just use ad-block and go to your internet settings and put a block on the specific pop-ups. Works like a charm.

I have been on cruise critic for a long time (long before I registered) and have never had a problem.

I used to get those pop ups all the time from various sites. Just use ad-block and go to your internet settings and put a block on the specific pop-ups. Works like a charm.

I have been on cruise critic for a long time (long before I registered) and have never had a problem.

Unless you're on a laptop where you don't have admin rights.

Use Adblocker, it removes them completely. I was trying to figure out what you all were talking about, then I remembered I use Firefox, with Adblocker extension. I've NEVER seen what you're seeing.

I use Adblocker with Google as well with great results and it also eliminates the dreaded Google "shockwave" crashes. Cruise Critic is best when it works smoothly :)