Unsuccessfully trying to book May Barcelona hotel near Las Ramblas

NMLady

Is there something going on in Barcelona May 2-4 that has hotels near Las Ramblas all booked during those dates?

Or do they all just not book this far out?

I have tried Hotel Royal, Rivoli, Le Meridian, and another hotel, Ramblas?, and all say unavailable during those dates.

I had the same result with Hotel Jazz.

Edited by NMLady

I see plenty of availability on kayak including Hotel 1898 on La Ramblas.

You may want to try booking checking on one of the large search engines. Then if you prefer you can go directly to book..

Good luck

While Barcelona is always busy. It does not appear to be a major city wide convention or anything for your dates.

When looking at a website like Kayak and then choosing the map function with only 4 and 5 star hotels, there appear to be many across the zone with availability. It is hard to know if the others are booked or just holding inventory for later sale at higher rates.

I think that might be the week of the Gran-Prix. Good Luck!!! :cool:

No, that is May 13-15,

I see plenty of availability on kayak including Hotel 1898 on La Ramblas.

That one is way too expensive for us in May. I should have mentioned I'd looked at that one.

You may want to try booking checking on one of the large search engines. Then if you prefer you can go directly to book.. Good luck

Good idea. I'd been looking at hotel sites based on CC recommendations.

While Barcelona is always busy. It does not appear to be a major city wide convention or anything for your dates.

When looking at a website like Kayak and then choosing the map function with only 4 and 5 star hotels, there appear to be many across the zone with availability. It is hard to know if the others are booked or just holding inventory for later sale at higher rates.

The problem is our budget is tight. We were willing to pay 4star prices if the hotel were on Las Ramblas itself to save walking for my husband. But we might have to find a cheaper hotel further out and take a taxi to Las Ramblas. Walking is difficult for him. We've been to Barcelona before and have seen many of the sights so this time wanted a hotel close to Las Ramblas to easily sit at a sidewalk cafe there to have a beer and watch people and entertainers.

Instead we might find a hotel near HoHo stop and make that circuit.

I'll try Kayak and see what I can find that fits our needs and budget. Thank you.

Our home away from home in Barcelona is the very European style Hotel Colon located a few short blocks from the Ramblas in a perfect location across the street from the Cathedral. They show plenty of availability for those nights. Personally we prefer the quieter Gothic Quarter (Hotel Colon) to the noisy and too commercial Ramblas.

Hank

Our home away from home in Barcelona is the very European style Hotel Colon located a few short blocks from the Ramblas in a perfect location across the street from the Cathedral. They show plenty of availability for those nights. Personally we prefer the quieter Gothic Quarter (Hotel Colon) to the noisy and too commercial Ramblas.

Hank

I agree entirely. That is our favourite hotel too.

If that is a little expensive for the OP, the Colon has a sister hotel Regencia Colon just behind the Colon. You could always stay there and use the terrace of the Colon to people watch. We have stayed at the Regencia Colon a couple of times when we have been in Barcelona for just a quick overnight stay pre or post cruise. This hotel does not have a restaurant (except for breakfast) so you would need to eat elsewhere.

Edited by English_in_Spain

We always stay at Citadines Barcelona Ramblas, a serviced apartment hotel right next to hotel Montecarlo, in front of Meridien and hotel 1898. Also in front is the Carrefour supermarket, it's a 5 minute walk to the Boqueria market, Catalunya square, Gothic quarter.

I just checked on Trivago and it is showing availability for your dates for € 137 per night. This rate is from Expedia. We usually book directly with Citadines and request if they will match the rate we found. If you become a member of the Ascott group you get discount by booking on their website.

We always ask for a studio facing the Ramblas as we very much enjoy watching the hustle and bustle going on. No noise whatsoever when the door is closed.

Good luck!

That one is way too expensive for us in May. I should have mentioned I'd looked at that one.

Sorry, I saw a $237 per night for your dates and thought it might work.

Hank

I agree with Hank on the Hotel Colon and really enjoyed our stay there!

Thank you everyone for your help. You have given me some good suggestions.

I am trying to keep the nightly rate below 150euro, 165euro at the max but that might not be feasible.

The main reason my husband had wanted hotel on Las Ramblas itself was so he would have less walking. At home if he is going to walk more than 100' he uses his mobility scooter unless there are places to sit along the way. He will only have his cane with him on this trip though.

We are still working out the logistics of our post-cruise stay so I appreciate all the help and ideas you have given.

Edited by NMLady

I can recommend the Hotel Continental as it ticks at least two of your boxes as its on Las Ramblas and, from a quick check on the website, they have rooms are available from 2nd to 4th May next year from 116 Euro per night (although we splashed out on a room with a balcony overlooking the ramblas)

It has a 24/7 Free Buffet and most importantly, for me at least, Free Estrella beer on tap also 24/7 if your liver can take it!

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/hotelcontinentalbarcelona/default-en.html

I can recommend the Hotel Continental as it ticks at least two of your boxes as its on Las Ramblas and, from a quick check on the website, they have rooms are available from 2nd to 4th May next year from 116 Euro per night (although we splashed out on a room with a balcony overlooking the ramblas)

It has a 24/7 Free Buffet and most importantly, for me at least, Free Estrella beer on tap also 24/7 if your liver can take it!

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/hotelcontinentalbarcelona/default-en.html

Thank you so much for that recommendation and for the link. You are correct that the hotel seems perfect for us. I am going to show the site to my husband and discuss it with him. Do all the balconies overlook Las Ramblas? If so, even the balcony price would be worth it since when he tires of sightseeing he could people watch from the balcony drinking one of those beers. :)

Also was pleased with the Continental, although we've moved to the Continental Palace, which is not as convenient to La Rambla.

And yes, the balcony overlooks but it's very small.

Edited by sitraveler

Hank

We too like the 4 star Hotel Colon and we also enjoyed the 3 star sister Regencia Colon. The Regencia Colon is just behind the Hotel Colon.

Also was pleased with the Continental, although we've moved to the Continental Palace, which is not as convenient to La Rambla.

And yes, the balcony overlooks but it's very small.

The balcony looked like it had a small table and two chairs?

Yes it has a small table and two chairs ...

Thank you. That is the photo I'd seen on the site so was hoping all the balconies had that as well as the Las Ramblas view.

I've asked that and the following questions at the hotel site using their Contact Us form but have not yet gotten an answer. Maybe you can answer:

If I book now, do I pay for both nights now? Is it refundable if our travel plans change?

Is there an elevator?

Thanks.

From the website:

"Balcony Ramblas Superior Rooms

Non smoking queen bed room or twin beds, [b]view over the Ramblas[/b], pink  decor, AC, ensuite bathroom with hairdryer, room fully equipped with its  own safe, 'fridge and microwave. Free 24/7 Buffet and Free wifi"

You can cancel up to 48 hours prior to your visit:

Cancellation Policy: 
In  case of cancellation, the hotel must receive a 48 hours notice prior to  the arrival date, otherwise the first night will be charged on the  provided credit card

Yes, there is an elevator

HTH

From the website:

"Balcony Ramblas Superior Rooms

Non smoking queen bed room or twin beds, [b]view over the Ramblas[/b], pink  decor, AC, ensuite bathroom with hairdryer, room fully equipped with its  own safe, 'fridge and microwave. Free 24/7 Buffet and Free wifi"

You can cancel up to 48 hours prior to your visit:

Cancellation Policy: 
In  case of cancellation, the hotel must receive a 48 hours notice prior to  the arrival date, otherwise the first night will be charged on the  provided credit card

Yes, there is an elevator

HTH

Thank you! Somehow I had missed seeing the cancellation policy on the website. Now that I know there is an elevator and that I can cancel if there is a change in our travel plans, I am going to make a reservation.

Thank you for all your help, and thanks to others who have also replied.

Thank you! Somehow I had missed seeing the cancellation policy on the website. Now that I know there is an elevator and that I can cancel if there is a change in our travel plans, I am going to make a reservation.

Thank you for all your help, and thanks to others who have also replied.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona in 2011 and just booked it for our group of 7 for 2 nights in June.I reserved 2 balcony rooms and a triple inside. I love this place. It is such fun to sit on your balcony and watch the action below you particularly the street performers and gypsy pickpockets.:eek: You just can't beat the 24 hour buffet with free ice cream and drinks including beer,wine and soda pop.The location is perfect next to Plaza Catalunya.The HoHo bus starts its route next to Plaza Catalunya.There is a Metro entrance just steps away from the Hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona in 2011 and just booked it for our group of 7 for 2 nights in June.I reserved 2 balcony rooms and a triple inside. I love this place. It is such fun to sit on your balcony and watch the action below you particularly the street performers and gypsy pickpockets.:eek: You just can't beat the 24 hour buffet with free ice cream and drinks including beer,wine and soda pop.The location is perfect next to Plaza Catalunya.The HoHo bus starts its route next to Plaza Catalunya.There is a Metro entrance just steps away from the Hotel.

Thanks for adding to the recommendations. I did reserve a balcony room for two nights in May and got a confirmation email. We are really looking forward to it.

I had a similar problem.....number of hotels listed with "no available" ended up booking Hotel 1898 for pre and post cruise.

I've heard really good things about that hotel but it was too pricey for us.

I'm really glad that folks here recommended Hotel Continental. It seems perfect for us.