Tipping in Specialty Restaurants

Lash52

I also understand the great service on Celebrity and the need for gratuities but I do not pay extra gratuities in the Speciality restaurant. The gratuities are part of the cost.

It is not my job as a passenger, to support the low wages. I too work very hard for my wages. Tipping is one thing but extra tips...

Other than the entertainers and officers, the employees on board the ship make very very little, and they work very long days with few breaks and a rare few hours off. They are held to a very high standard for service.

Yes they are held to a very high standard of service, just as we all are were we work.

I would work longer hours if I could get a 3-4 month vacation every year too.

Paid very little? Please. I saw that our waiter last Nov had on a 20 year service watch. He was just starting his 29th yr with Celebrity. He had just returned from seeing his youngest of 4 children graduate from University, debt free, and paying off the loan on his 3rd rental house.

Our DD did 2 contracts with RCCL, they staff does very well.

If you can not afford to tip appropriately for good service, then you can not afford the vacation. These people depend upon tips as part of their compensation.

I would much rather the cruise lines and indeed all companies paid a proper wage than the smoke and mirrors of low fares and hidden charges. Those who support tipping are promoting corporate dishonesty.

Read and digest all the different opinions given then decide for yourself whether or not you'd like to leave a tip.

After all it is your money despite all the effort by others trying to tell you how to spend it.;)

I would much rather the cruise lines and indeed all companies paid a proper wage than the smoke and mirrors of low fares and hidden charges. Those who support tipping are promoting corporate dishonesty.

Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a well established custom, especially in the US (and this cruise line caters to the US passenger) to give workers a very low wage and have their compensation greatly dependent upon providing good service. The problem is deadbeat passengers, which is why they now have to build-in minimum tips. That does not replace showing gratitude for the excellent service.

I see this all the time in restaurants as well. Part of the cost of going on a vacation is to factor this expense in. I stand by my sgtatement. If you cabn not afford to do so, then you can not afford to go.

Yes they are held to a very high standard of service, just as we all are were we work.

Paid very little? Please. I saw that our waiter last Nov had on a 20 year service watch. He was just starting his 29th yr with Celebrity. He had just returned from seeing his youngest of 4 children graduate from University, debt free, and paying off the loan on his 3rd rental house.

Our DD did 2 contracts with RCCL, they staff does very well.

Really? I don't think that single example is the norm. However, after 29 years, why would you expect a hard worker to have achieved less? These people often send everything home to the family (which they rarely see). Why would you begrudge anyone these things? He has probably sacrficed plenty. Further, 28 years agon (even 10 years agon), there wasn't this problem of tipping. It was expected and given.

Now everyone wants a lot, for very little.

Tips get pooled if you leave it on the slip after dinner. If we have great service we always tip extra cash directly to our server.

Thanks, we'll consider that. I'd like to tip the server who made our dinner outstanding

Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a well established custom, especially in the US (and this cruise line caters to the US passenger) to give workers a very low wage and have their compensation greatly dependent upon providing good service. The problem is deadbeat passengers, which is why they now have to build-in minimum tips. That does not replace showing gratitude for the excellent service.

I see this all the time in restaurants as well. Part of the cost of going on a vacation is to factor this expense in. I stand by my sgtatement. If you cabn not afford to do so, then you can not afford to go.

Excellent post.

Well, if they were paid say $15/hr(which, trust me they are not)What do you think the true cost of your cruise would be? On the luxury lines where tipping is not expected, the staff is well paid for. Compare the prices & you get an idea. A standard cabin on Silversea/Crystal/Seadream is really no more luxurious than a standard cabin on any mainstream line. Same goes for a suite.

I also understand the great service on Celebrity and the need for gratuities but I do not pay extra gratuities in the Speciality restaurant. The gratuities are part of the cost.

It is not my job as a passenger, to support the low wages. I too work very hard for my wages. Tipping is one thing but extra tips...

I think the gratuity is 17% in the specialty rest. so additional tipping is totally up to you. Being in the food service/hospitality industry, our staff DO rely a lot on the tips. I maybe salary, but I feel that the staff who takes great care of me & my partner on these cruises are well deserving of extra compensation.

Well, if they were paid say $15/hr(which, trust me they are not)What do you think the true cost of your cruise would be? On the luxury lines where tipping is not expected, the staff is well paid for. Compare the prices & you get an idea. A standard cabin on Silversea/Crystal/Seadream is really no more luxurious than a standard cabin on any mainstream line. Same goes for a suite.

The majority of my cruises have been on fares where tips/daily service charges were not extras but included in the fare so I know full well the cost and am prepared to pay for it. Indeed, the majority of my cruises were in suites as well, I'm not afraid to pay for quality I just dont think any one should be fooled by the rhetoric those in favour of tipping use - it is utter BS.

Really? I don't think that single example is the norm. However, after 29 years, why would you expect a hard worker to have achieved less? These people often send everything home to the family (which they rarely see). Why would you begrudge anyone these things? He has probably sacrficed plenty. Further, 28 years agon (even 10 years agon), there wasn't this problem of tipping. It was expected and given.

Now everyone wants a lot, for very little.

I see that you have just joined our community here at CC, Welcome aboard.

I have no way of knowing your sailing history nor time spent on a Celebrity ship. They have more 'long term' employees than most any other line, hence the reason we know what a 20 yr Celebrity service watch looks like, our 1st cruise with them was in 1994.

At every port stop there are many workers getting off and going into town to enjoy a day at the beach or do some shopping, just like we do.

"Why would you begrudge anyone these things"

Never in a million years. We love to hear about the success stories that come from people in all walks of life, and know that we have crossed their path.

The sky is not falling and most everyone we cruise with takes care of the crew like we do.

Again, Welcome to Cruise Critic and Celebrity.

I see that you have just joined our community here at CC, Welcome aboard.

I have no way of knowing your sailing history nor time spent on a Celebrity ship. They have more 'long term' employees than most any other line, hence the reason we know what a 20 yr Celebrity service watch looks like, our 1st cruise with them was in 1994.

At every port stop there are many workers getting off and going into town to enjoy a day at the beach or do some shopping, just like we do.

"Why would you begrudge anyone these things"

Never in a million years. We love to hear about the success stories that come from people in all walks of life, and know that we have crossed their path.

The sky is not falling and most everyone we cruise with takes care of the crew like we do.

Again, Welcome to Cruise Critic and Celebrity.

Hello.

Next time you cruise, please ask the staff member getting off in port how long they have off, and how often they get a day off. Many staff get up at 5:00am, work until 2:00pm, have a couple hours off, and then report for work again until 11:00pm or later. Also, most will only get 1/2 day off every 7 to 10 days or so. The number of staff you see leaving are very small in number and for short periods of time. They trade 6 months of long work for a brief couple months at home, before they start the next contract. I know this because I have spoken to many staff members on multiple cruise lines, and because my son did extensive research when he was offered a position as part of the permament technical staff on board (and he would have been one of those most highly compensated at what most of you would, I am sure, consider very low pay).

For some people, in some circumstances, there are many reasons why to take this kind of job. However, you will notice that there are very few Americans working any of the non-technical, non-officer, non-entertainment positions.

For some people, in some circumstances, there are many reasons why to take this kind of job. However, you will notice that there are very few Americans working any of the non-technical, non-officer, non-entertainment positions.

Several lines with American-built vessels sailing in US waters and employing entirely American crew have come and gone in the past. Prices were high and service was beyond indifferent, it was unprofessional and actually terrible compared to lines like Celebrity or Holland America.

Would you really clean strangers' toilets or lift heavy trays seven days a week for months on end, starting with early breakfast and finishing up after second seating dining? Sleeping in a small room with a stranger, thousands of miles away from family?

Or, to put it another way, in all seriousness, if that few months off back at home would be worth it, what's stopping you from applying now?

Would you really clean strangers' toilets or lift heavy trays seven days a week for months on end, starting with early breakfast and finishing up after second seating dining? Sleeping in a small room with a stranger, thousands of miles away from family?

Or, to put it another way, in all seriousness, if that few months off back at home would be worth it, what's stopping you from applying now?

When you manage a business and someone destroys your restroom, I clean up after strangers every day. In all seriousness, really? :confused: creditability just went out the port hole.

Hello.

Next time you cruise, please ask the staff member getting off in port how long they have off, and how often they get a day off. Many staff get up at 5:00am, work until 2:00pm, have a couple hours off, and then report for work again until 11:00pm or later. Also, most will only get 1/2 day off every 7 to 10 days or so. The number of staff you see leaving are very small in number and for short periods of time. They trade 6 months of long work for a brief couple months at home, before they start the next contract. I know this because I have spoken to many staff members on multiple cruise lines, and because my son did extensive research when he was offered a position as part of the permament technical staff on board (and he would have been one of those most highly compensated at what most of you would, I am sure, consider very low pay).

We just had a waiter and bar server visit that our DD worked and roomed with in 2004 that are still on ship. No research, first hand. 8 month contract, correct. 4 months traveling the U.S. before returning for their next contract. Oh, both of their Parents manage business they set up and own in their home country's.

There are no handcuffs attached to any person that works on ship. They can walk away at any port, and go home.

Housekeeping staff at every major Hotel in the U.S. Does not make what cabin Stewards on ship do.

Time to go clean the toilets, company coming this weekend.

Several lines with American-built vessels sailing in US waters and employing entirely American crew have come and gone in the past. Prices were high and service was beyond indifferent, it was unprofessional and actually terrible compared to lines like Celebrity or Holland America.

thats interesting, presumably because they were american they still had a tipping culture - but bad service you say?

Are tips a part of the fee you pay initially or are you supposed to tip at the end of the meal?

As you can infer from the many responses, it is your choice to tip extra or not. The posters in each camp are equally adamant. So, take your pick!

By the way, the reason there are no American crew members is that Americans have to declare all foreign earnings for taxes.

We don't know the tax laws in all the countries represented by crew.

Also, we don't know how far a US dollar will go in the different countries.

Don't compare to your experiences in the US

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I do not tip extra based on how far the server travelled to reach the ship, how many hours they work, how poor their country of origin is, how long they are away from their family, how much time they get off the ship, etc.

I choose to tip extra based on the level of service I receive. If the service is excellent, the tip is excellent. If the service is poor, there is no tip.

I do not want to subsidize a lifestyle; I want to encourage and reward good customer service.