Barging Burgundy, a chronicle of our lazy adventures

OctoberKat

Portofinoitaly, i just read this post of yours carefully. Would love to learn more about your cruise from Arles (Van Gogh country!) should you wish to share.

Welcome home OKat!, We flew into Nice after a river cruise "Castles on the Rhine"

to start the next cruise on the Rhone. Two days in Monte Carlo (been there many times but always enjoy Cote D'Azur. Embark in Arles and spend a day walking around the town. The Van Gogh art gallery was not there at that time. Next stop was Avignon which we thoroughly enjoyed, on to Viviers, Tournon, and then 2 days in Lyon due to high waters. Lyon is the food capital of France and home of Paul Bocuse. Great Place! We are in wine country and the regions of Burgundy, Beaujolais, etc. Wine tours were offered and we enjoyed them. Ex: a day at Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The river cruise ends in Chalon-Sur-Saone and we were bussed to Beaune and Dijon for wine tours. It all ends in Paris which we chose to spend 3 additional days prior to heading back to US.

This was our 1st time on a river cruise and although we enjoyed the tours and towns we visited, the dining part was not to our satisfaction because we enjoy dining alone and on a river cruise you must share a table. It would be fine for a few nights but after a B2B river cruise it becomes less enjoyable each night :(.

Had we only done one cruise it would not have become such a problem and we would have left on a good note.

Now, a few years have past and I have always wanted to do the Danube, so we will try another river cruise with Tauck. After much research, I think this will suit our need for exploration, floating hotel, and Four Season amenities and service.

Thanks you two for your posts. I ordered the brochure today.

Did you do much bike riding?

We biked every other day, so three times in six days. Delightful and you can cycle as fast or as slowly (in my case) as you like. It's all level so not arduous but if you want it to be so you can extend the ride and take side trips.

Edited by OctoberKat

As most on here are aware, we barged on Nenuphar (also French Country Waterways) in Burgundy about three weeks before OKat did theirs. Our experiences were similar, although it sounds as if our meals were slightly fancier and larger....Nenuphar does not have a pool. We literally never saw a highway on the route we covered. Our captain was the wine and tour expert and with us every day. and YES we would definitely do it again.....it was the most exceptional, relaxing, and pleasant vacation we have ever had. ALBEIT my wife and I EACH gained six pounds in one week......I did NOT do a daily diary. The atmosphere and pace of life prevented me from even attempting to keep daily notes...

:D

• 2 months later...
I've really been getting a large dose of this lately and begin to feel I cannot put a foot right

Well, you must change your pace and start with the left ;-) Yes, I have noticed that you have had someone tagging at your right heel. Left foot forward I say!

Have a wonderful time on your Silversea cruise....we just booked one, also.

Edited by portofinoitaly

I've really been getting a large dose of this lately and begin to feel I cannot put a foot right

Apparently we're not supposed to talk about other forums here ;) but you are always welcome on River Cruising. Especially since you fulfilled the children's story by trying to bell the cat!

Dear OctoberKat,

Thank you for your detailed write up on the food and wine. I had to wipe off my desk:).

The closest we came to that was a Burgundy River cruise from Monte Carlo to Paris. We stopped at a number of wineries, and drove past many vineyards that I had only read about in Yoxall's "The Wines of Burgundy".

Interestingly, many peoples impression of Burgundy is that they produce only red wines, I guess from the generic burgundies in California.

My wife was pleasantly surprised when I brought home a number of white burgundies for her. Unfortunately, for some reason reds give her a headache, so I made the sacrifice of finishing hers too;)

Sorry to learn of the valiant sacrifice you had to make, smile. You're a scotch man, yes? As well as wine, of course.

My late wife and I did a barge cruise on the Scottish Highlander and loved it. We did visit a number of distilleries, and they were well stocked on board.