Ship time vs port time on Getaway

ellen4257

They will be the same. All the ports for this cruise itinerary (we are sailing in October) are in the eastern time zone.

Not true. Nassau is in the Eastern time zone, but St. Thomas and Tortola are in the Atlantic Time Zone, one hour ahead of Eastern Time. However, in the months when Daylight Savings Time is being observed in the US it is not observed in Tortola and St. Thomas, and they will be on the same time as Miami. In the months when the US is on Standard Time, St. Thomas and Tortola (Atlantic Standard Time) will be one hour ahead of Miami.

The other issue is whether the ship always follows local port time. In most cases NCL does, but I have been on a couple of NCL cruise that did not, so it's not an absolute rule.

Edited by njhorseman

HI

To clarify the times:

I think during the spring/summer, EST & Atlantic Time are the same, because the islands do not "jump ahead" one hour in the spring. In the fall/winter, Atlantic time is one hour ahead of EST when the US falls back one hour.

What time do you have to be back on the ship when in port?

The NCL website suggests 2 hours?? Is one hour good enough?

Why advertise 6pm depart time, if I have to be back on at 4pm....

Just Wondering....

HI

To clarify the times:

I think during the spring/summer, EST & Atlantic Time are the same, because the islands do not "jump ahead" one hour in the spring. In the fall/winter, Atlantic time is one hour ahead of EST when the US falls back one hour.

What time do you have to be back on the ship when in port?

The NCL website suggests 2 hours?? Is one hour good enough?

Why advertise 6pm depart time, if I have to be back on at 4pm....

Just Wondering....

The two hour prior time is only for embarkation day at the home port. You usually only have to be there 30 mins prior at destination ports.

Planning excursion for st. Thomas on the Getaway this August. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the ship's time and st. Thomas time?

For your cruise in August, the time will stay the same the entire cruise from Miami until you return to Miami.

I've yet to be on a cruise where the ship does not adjust to each port's time, the night before.

I have been on many where the times are not adjusted.

The real key is to keep your watches on ships time. Excursion operators know when your ship arrives and when it departs.