Verizon Voice and Data coverage?

dbsb3233

Can anyone confirm if their standard US Verizon plan works for voice and for data in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan (with no extra roaming or global data charges)? Their website say "4G in Alaska!" now and it looks like those cities are covered (although Skagway looks a little sketchy on the map), but I'm not clear whether there's extra charges (especially for data).

Thanks.

Yes, they are covered by Verizon. As long as you have nationwide roaming, you'll be fine.

Nationwide coverage, you mean (i.e. without roaming)? That would be great. We were there in 2012 and it wasn't included with the standard plan (I think you could get it by roaming but of course then we'd have to pay roaming charges). I'm not too concerned about voice, but data is the biggie.

Can anyone confirm if their standard US Verizon plan works for voice and for data in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan (with no extra roaming or global data charges)? Their website say "4G in Alaska!" now and it looks like those cities are covered (although Skagway looks a little sketchy on the map), but I'm not clear whether there's extra charges (especially for data).

Thanks.

You will have Verizon coverage in all Alaskan ports without any extra charges, assuming your plan has free nationwide roaming. Data is also included without extra charge.

Edited by zqvol

Nationwide coverage, you mean (i.e. without roaming)? That would be great. We were there in 2012 and it wasn't included with the standard plan (I think you could get it by roaming but of course then we'd have to pay roaming charges). I'm not too concerned about voice, but data is the biggie.

I cruised with Verizon in 2012 and many years before and have never been charged for using my cell in Alaska with Verizon. I think for several years, Verizon used another vendor to piggy back on but I wasn't charged at all for their services. I have a pretty basic cell plan for my data phone - nothing extravagant.

The only issue I have had is spotty data use in Whittier (cell part worked fine).

I cruised with Verizon in 2012 and many years before and have never been charged for using my cell in Alaska with Verizon. I think for several years, Verizon used another vendor to piggy back on but I wasn't charged at all for their services. I have a pretty basic cell plan for my data phone - nothing extravagant.

The only issue I have had is spotty data use in Whittier (cell part worked fine).

Maybe I just thought we would be charged if we used it, because I think it showed up as a different network name than Verizon. I don't remember exactly, but that's probably what it was.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I just called Verizon to ask them the same question, and they said that they do have their own network now in all 3 ports and that there "shouldn't" be any voice or data roaming charges. (Nothing seems to be 100% for sure when it comes to data roaming though.)

What about coverage at the Denali and Mt McKinly lodges?

You'll be fine at the two Princess Lodges you mentioned. At spots along the highway there'll be no coverage and if you go into Denali National Park there'll be no coverage from any cell provider.

What about while cruising? Should I turn off the roaming feature?

Yes, or else you'll get a big surprise on your next cell phone bill. When cruising, your phone will usually try to connect to the ship's service for voice and data, which is very expensive. You can only connect to a normal land tower when you're within a few miles of one. Your phone will often connect to a land tower automatically as you're getting very close to port (even when you're still on the ship).

The most important thing to do is turn DATA ROAMING OFF. That will ensure that all those little apps and services that are always running on a smartphone won't download any data when "roaming" (i.e. connected to a cell tower that's not part of your cell plan). That will leave your phone connected for voice calls though. If you want BOTH data and voice turned off, you can put the phone in AIRPLANE mode.

I prefer just turning off DATA ROAMING, because I like leaving the phone active on the ship for emergency calls. As long as I don't answer an incoming call, it doesn't charge me anything for it. But it still rings and I can see who's calling (and whether they left a voicemail). If it's a call from home it might be an emergency worth paying for. It's only when I actually place or answer a voice call that I get charged. (That includes calls to retrieve voice mail too, BTW, since that's a voice call).

DATA is the killer if you don't keep it turned off on the ship.

Edited by dbsb3233