Independence of the Seas - A Rookie's Reflection

so i reached out to RC on Twitter and they said the following:

"Yes. If you have MyTime dining, you must pay gratuities when reserving." :(

that's ridiculous...another $300-something for grats for this? :mad:

what is the difference between MyTime dining and not having this? does that mean we have to eat at like, 9pm?

If you don't have My Time, then you have traditional, which is two fixed dining times, usually at 6pm and 8:30pm. Those fixed times can vary by ship/itinerary.

so i reached out to RC on Twitter and they said the following:

"Yes. If you have MyTime dining, you must pay gratuities when reserving." :(

that's ridiculous...another $300-something for grats for this? :mad:

what is the difference between MyTime dining and not having this? does that mean we have to eat at like, 9pm?

Not sure what you are asking. As mentioned in posts 87 and 89 there are three different types of dining. If you choose My Time you may have to prepay your gratuities. If not they are billed daily to your account. No difference in the amount ......if you prepay you do not pay again daily.

Not sure what you are asking. As mentioned in posts 87 and 89 there are three different types of dining. If you choose My Time you may have to prepay your gratuities. If not they are billed daily to your account. No difference in the amount ......if you prepay you do not pay again daily.

Also, if she's being quoted $111.xx by her TA, it sounds like she might have a suite, which would be more expensive than the $12.95/pp/pd.

I cannot comment on whether or not RCI is still requiring grats be pre-paid when you select MTD. But if I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like your concern is that by choosing MTD, you'll end up paying MORE than if you select traditional dining. Not true. In the end, it's the same amount. It's only a matter of either pre-paying or being charged daily once on board.

It is true that the standard gratuity amounts were raised recently, across the board. They are now $12.95 per person, per day (for non-suite guests). But you wont be paying more in gratuities for choosing MTD over traditional seating.

Incidentally, I am on the same sailing as you and our traditional dining choices are 6pm (for sure, I have it) and 8:30pm (I think, as the late option).

Edited by Ren1216

... But if I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like your concern is that by choosing MTD, you'll end up paying MORE than if you select traditional dining. ...

I'm not sure if this applies in this situation, but if someone had prepaid gratuities on their booking before July 1, then they would be paying less than if they had the gratuities automatically added during the cruise. This is because there was a gratutity increase, and Royal honored the lower amount for the prepaid folks.

To be clear if you book you do not automatically pay gratuities unless you book MY Time Dining. You must prepay gratuities if you book My Time Dining. You can prepay gratuities if you book traditional dining. I usually do so my trip is paid before I go. If not Royal will add the gratuities on your shipboard account and you will pay upon disembarkation. You don't pay double gratuities for my time dining you just prepay them.