Independence of the Seas - A Rookie's Reflection

-- Disembarkation / Customs / FLL Airport --

What an unfortunate way to end our cruise.

Again, we're rookies, so perhaps we didn't do what the pros do, but we followed the directions and waited for the designated time for our tag number. I think we may have been the only ones to do so!

Did your cruise return to terminal 18? Your report is so well written I have no doubt about your observations, but this is unusual for this terminal . I've heard stories like this about the other terminals, but 18 is usually pretty efficient.

Nice report. Glad you had a good time.

Did your cruise return to terminal 18? Your report is so well written I have no doubt about your observations, but this is unusual for this terminal . I've heard stories like this about the other terminals, but 18 is usually pretty efficient.

Nice report. Glad you had a good time.

Sailed last month and departed and arrived at pier 18. I think it's because Allure is in Europe.

Thanks for your review. We're from Nova Scotia also and will be taking our first cruise Oct. 18 on Freedom of the Seas. (Same class as Indy ) I've read a LOT of reviews and tips and your review just confirmed a few things one of which is not going to the spa and shopping talks. We have different ports: CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. We'll be sailing out of Port Canaveral and know Orlando airport inside and out. Planning to arrive a day early and rent a car and then staying in Florida for a week after the cruise.

Glad you had a great cruise, hope we do too. :)

Enjoyed reading your review of your first cruise. Speaking of staying over Post Cruise, we will be doing that at the end of our Oct 19th sailing and we live in the States, in Calif. We found it far easier to get a good nights rest and leave early AM and be home before noon, otherwise it would be after 10 PM before we got home flying out the same day we disembark.

Yes, our flight home to Nova Scotia (connecting through Montreal) had us landing at 9:15pm - it was a long day. We walked through our front door just around 10pm.

Sailed last month and departed and arrived at pier 18. I think it's because Allure is in Europe.

Likewise with our cruise - it started and ended at the same pier, which I think we've established was 18 (right in front of the Royal Caribbean building with the logo on the roof).

Thanks for your review. We're from Nova Scotia also and will be taking our first cruise Oct. 18 on Freedom of the Seas. (Same class as Indy ) I've read a LOT of reviews and tips and your review just confirmed a few things one of which is not going to the spa and shopping talks. We have different ports: CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. We'll be sailing out of Port Canaveral and know Orlando airport inside and out. Planning to arrive a day early and rent a car and then staying in Florida for a week after the cruise.

Glad you had a great cruise, hope we do too. :)

Have a great cruise - it really is a nice way to vacation! Liberty of the Seas (the third sister ship of the class) is calling on Halifax three times in September, so if you want a preview of how big your ship is, head down to see Liberty one of the days she's in port (Sept. 3, 15, 29). I can't wait to see her!

We're in the early planning stages for our next trip (likely with our kids and my parents, at a minimum, and possibly an extended family trip), and we're thinking along the same lines as your plan: stay in Florida afterwards for a while, maybe do the Disney thing with the kids, etc.

Was that trip an 8-night or a 7-night? Ours 0n Indy in January was an 8-night that included Labadee, ported in St. Maarten first and San Juan 3rd (which was an early half-day rather than your late half-day - either one drastically shortening your available excisions list for obvious reasons).

It was a seven night, with the three ports in three consecutive days starting on Day 3. I'm of two minds about the late call in Puerto Rico: since we didn't arrive until 4pm, that day sort of felt like two days in one: most of the day was a sea day, and then a port for the evening. On the other hand, I think I'd like more time in Puerto Rico next time, so hopefully we'll have a daytime visit.

We'd been around the block a few times but obviously some are more seasoned than us. Debarkation after was a total nightmare because they had 3 Customs Officers checking out the ENTIRE ship. If you booked an early flight, you might get to see it departing as you're waiting in that snaky line from deck to curbside.

And perhaps that is the challenge for Royal Caribbean. They're at the mercy of customs for how fast the process moves. It seemed odd to me that, for an organization that handles the mass of people so well in most every other circumstance, disembarkation was such a gong show. Maybe it was just an outlier experience - from what I've read here, many people manage to get out within an hour or less.

C'est la vie: we managed to catch our flight (thanks in many ways to that porter, I'm convinced of that). As you say, live and learn!

Edited by macdon9876

Thank you for the review! Do you remember if room service was available on the disembarkation morning? I can't remember from prior RCCL cruises if it was available or not.

Room service was not an option. Breakfast was available from the buffet, the MDR, and from the cafe on the promenade. We just did the buffet. I don't know, but suspect, that the cafe breakfast was probably muffins, etc.

Speaking of the Compasses, we kept all eight copies from our cruise. I'd be happy to scan and post these. I'll do a bit of digging on this site to see what is acceptable, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for how I can do this? When I tried to post a link to Google Maps earlier, the form automatically masked the link. Are there certain sites that are allowed to be linked, or does Cruise Critic do this for all links?

Speaking of the Compasses, we kept all eight copies from our cruise. I'd be happy to scan and post these. I'll do a bit of digging on this site to see what is acceptable, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for how I can do this? When I tried to post a link to Google Maps earlier, the form automatically masked the link. Are there certain sites that are allowed to be linked, or does Cruise Critic do this for all links?

You can link to sites like Flickr and most other photo sharing sites. Some URL's are automatically corrupted if they violate the rules of this website.

I scanned the Compasses as PDF files, and then uploaded these to a Google Drive account. Click on the links to go to each edition. It worked for me using Google Chrome and I also tried Firefox and it worked. I didn't try IE.

We kept all the Compasses except, apparently, the handout detailing disembarkation. We would have had that on us as we left the ship (we filed the rest away inside a bag), so it might turn up.

I also scanned a Fun Facts sheet I received during a Q&A session with the senior officers. Thought some might find it interesting.

One thing I forgot to mention was the change in the Ice Show tickets. In previous threads I read that guests had to line up for tickets. On this cruise the shows were assigned based on muster station numbers. It seemed to work well, but I have nothing to compare it to. We went on Day 6, 4pm show, and it was well attended.

Boarding Day Edition

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Fun Facts

Edited by macdon9876

You can link to sites like Flickr and most other photo sharing sites. Some URL's are automatically corrupted if they violate the rules of this website.

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if this Google Drive post works, and if not I'll try Flickr.

Thanks so much for posting the Compasses! We will sail the same itinerary on Indy 8/30.

We were on the 3/20 Sailing of Legend and I can see the differences.

Room service charge on Legend was after midnight. Indy 10 pm.

Signature Drink of the Day Legend $7.95 plus 18%

This was after the big drink price increase!

Indy Drink of the Day $10 plus 18%

Chops' Legend $30

Indy $35

I guess pricing can be different ship to ship. Again, many thanks for your review and the Compasses.

macdon -- Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Very appreciated :)

Setting sail -- I found the comparisons with you recent Legend cruise interesting as well, appreciate that info too.

Edited by Ren1216

Room service was not an option. Breakfast was available from the buffet, the MDR, and from the cafe on the promenade. We just did the buffet. I don't know, but suspect, that the cafe breakfast was probably muffins, etc.

Thanks for clarifying! On my last cruise, which was with Holland, they had room service on disembarkation day! I didn't remember if royal offered it and I had been missing out. It was a nice last perk to avoid the crowds and enjoy a last meal in our room.

Thanks for clarifying! On my last cruise, which was with Holland, they had room service on disembarkation day! I didn't remember if royal offered it and I had been missing out. It was a nice last perk to avoid the crowds and enjoy a last meal in our room.

Agreed - it would be a nice option. On disembarkation morning, the buffet was the busiest we had seen it during the entire cruise - hardly any seating and the serving counters were packed. On reflection, we'd probably try the MDR next time. We ate in the MDR for breakfast once during our cruise (late in the week) and should have done it more often - it is a much more relaxed experience than the buffet.

Just curious I hear more about FOS, what's the big difference between FOS than the other freedom class ships?

Been on Freedom twice. This will be our first time on Indy Oct 18. Anyways Freedom has 3D movies in the Theater, It also has Dreamworks characters walking around and available for photo ops. And also, correct me,if I'm wrong but I believe the Freedom has the soda machines as well.

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer, but looking at the Compasses, it doesn't look like Giovanni's is open for lunch. Is that the case? I love eating lunch there on sea days. I pulled out an old Compass from a previous cruise, and it was listed as a lunch option. :confused: