Independence of the Seas - A Rookie's Reflection

Oh. Is there no place to get a decent pizza on board?

We didn't care for it all that much. It wasn't the worst pizza in the world, but I'd compare it to a frozen pizza. The food at Cafe Promenade is much better, IMO.

I don't remember if the buffet had pizza or not.

We just completed our first cruise aboard Independence of the Seas, on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary. ........Overall it was an exceptional experience, and we think we're "hooked" on cruising - it really does offer something for everyone, and we were seldom looking for anything to do. One of my initial concerns about cruising - two, actually - had to do with either feeling "trapped" on the boat with nothing to do, or trapped by intense crowds. Neither of these concerns materialized, except for crowds in certain situations that were understandable / unavoidable (e.g. getting on/off the ship). Our ship was full, but we seldom felt that there were 4300 guests on the ship with us.........

FLL isn't the nicest airport we've flown out of! The gate situation is absurd - basically an open room with all the gates surrounding it, which makes for a lot of noise and confusion as the desk agents try to talk over each other. I now understand why people on this forum suggest flying out of Miami, and I think we'll do that next time if we sail from Lauderdale.

-- Overall --

Overall it was a fantastic vacation, and we are eager to plan our next cruise! We're hoping to bring our kids and perhaps our parents on the next one - there were a lot of extended families on the ship, and it seems to be a great way to travel together.

Thanks to those on this site - the forums are a great source of information and insights. I'm happy to answer any questions, and I also invite comments and tips for future cruises! :)

Glad you overall had a great cruise.....and as you admit, you learned some things.....I have flown out of many different airports and have never found FLL any worse than any other....LAX is not an easy airport to maneuver through the gates, nor is San Juan and our return trip when we flew Jewel a few years ago was a walking night mare from where the Royal shuttle let us off to the gate we had to walk to....sorry you had a less than wonderful experience in the airport.....Miami is a more difficult airport to maneuver around than FLL and I have flown out of both, since we live in S. Florida.

We LOVE Indy and the Freedom class of ships and hope you enjoy the rest of your cruising life!

Oh. Is there no place to get a decent pizza on board?

No. it is disgusting everywhere on any RC ship. Just put any thoughts of good pizza outta your mind for now.

Edited by F27TW

Thank you for taking the time for your review! I would have to agree with you on the sales pitch for the port days.... it would be so much better if they actually gave us real tips and suggestions, not just pushing their preferred shopping stores...

I will be on the same itinerary in September and getting more excited by the day :) With the late arrival in San Juan, did you find most people stayed on land for dinner, or returned later to eat. I was thinking of booking a late specialty dinner that night as we have the 6pm seating for the week. Not too sure what the best option is for that day...

-Danielle

I was wondering the same as we will be on the same itinerary in October and wondering if we should book a specialty restaurant for San Juan or is the food in San Juan something we shouldn't miss.... Not too sure what the best option is for that day is either...

So happy you enjoyed your first cruise... it IS addicting, isn't it!?! :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your experience. You did a great job providing practical information to other first-timers, but you also included a lot of information that even seasoned cruisers will find useful. In particular, I appreciated hearing... that Chops was a good experience (we were wondering if it might not be worth doing again), the amount you spent on drinks (many are debating those pkgs), that you were satisfied with the MDR and WJ (considering the complaints about corner-cutting), where you found the best drinks and service, your opinion of the tours you chose, your impression of the shows, and your disembarking experience (which reminds me why I recommend a noon or later flight to others in my group!).

I do have a question. Can you confirm that formal nights were night 2 and 6 (Monday and Friday)? We're booked on the 10/11 Eastern sailing. My mom makes these beautiful scrap books for the ladies in our group and it would be a big help for her to know this detail ahead of time so that she can design and assemble the pages properly.

Thank you for this review. We still have another year to wait before we remove our "cruise virgin" tag and this type of review is just the type of review that is so useful. No moaning, just clear and concise explanation and reviewing which really gives a flavour of the things we can expect.

I know cruising in Europe is different to USA but the way you write has really helped me understand what to expect. Thank you.

I was on Indy the week of 6/28.

I agree with you - the Schooner Bar staff was great! I also loved the guys working at the Squeeze Bar (by the H2O Zone) and the Dog and Badger pub. Had a great time and great service with any of them.

Odysea was pretty good - wish I'd have made it around to see them play a bit more often, but karaoke was calling me.

Glad you had a great first cruise. Same thing happened to me on my first - I got hooked. So much fun.

Rob

I do have a question. Can you confirm that formal nights were night 2 and 6 (Monday and Friday)? We're booked on the 10/11 Eastern sailing. My mom makes these beautiful scrap books for the ladies in our group and it would be a big help for her to know this detail ahead of time so that she can design and assemble the pages properly.

That sounds like a nice memento for a cruise. Yes, on our itinerary the two formal nights were Monday and Friday, with the port days sandwiched between.

Have a great cruise!

I was on Indy the week of 6/28.

I agree with you - the Schooner Bar staff was great! I also loved the guys working at the Squeeze Bar (by the H2O Zone) and the Dog and Badger pub. Had a great time and great service with any of them.

Odysea was pretty good - wish I'd have made it around to see them play a bit more often, but karaoke was calling me.

Glad you had a great first cruise. Same thing happened to me on my first - I got hooked. So much fun.

Rob

We were on Indy back in February....and we enjoy Karaoke a great deal. The band that was onboard had did a live Karaoeke so the singers were singing with the live band playing....it was terrific!

That sounds like a nice memento for a cruise. Yes, on our itinerary the two formal nights were Monday and Friday, with the port days sandwiched between.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for your reply! I thought of another question.... do you recall which pier the Independence used at Port Everglades? The time is upon us to explore parking options. Due to a few mobility issues within our group, lot to terminal distances are something I'll need to consider.

Thank you so much for your reply! I thought of another question.... do you recall which pier the Independence used at Port Everglades? The time is upon us to explore parking options. Due to a few mobility issues within our group, lot to terminal distances are something I'll need to consider.

Usually terminal 29, but we've used 18 before if it was not a Saturday or Sunday.

I'm afraid I don't know the number - we took a shuttle, and Indy was the only ship in port on that Sunday. (There was a second ship - a Carnival boat - in port when we returned this past Sunday.)

If it helps, Indy was docked right in front of the large building with the Royal Caribbean logo on the roof (we could plainly see it from the ship). It says Terminal 18 on Google Maps - not sure how accurate that is!

*******/maps/OD2wo

Edit: apparently this forum omits URLs for some reason.

Edited by macdon9876

Indy has been using 18 since Allure is overseas

Glad you found it helpful. I'll see what I can do about posting photos and perhaps I'll scan the Compasses and figure out how to post those. We're still organizing the photos and whatnot.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out this thread. Lots of great photos and info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204395&highlight=independence

Thanks so much!!

Thank you for the review! Do you remember if room service was available on the disembarkation morning? I can't remember from prior RCCL cruises if it was available or not.

Room service is not usually available on disembarkation morning.

Enjoyed reading your review of your first cruise. Speaking of staying over Post Cruise, we will be doing that at the end of our Oct 19th sailing and we live in the States, in Calif. We found it far easier to get a good nights rest and leave early AM and be home before noon, otherwise it would be after 10 PM before we got home flying out the same day we disembark.

Was that trip an 8-night or a 7-night? Ours 0n Indy in January was an 8-night that included Labadee, ported in St. Maarten first and San Juan 3rd (which was an early half-day rather than your late half-day - either one drastically shortening your available excisions list for obvious reasons).

We'd been around the block a few times but obviously some are more seasoned than us. Debarkation after was a total nightmare because they had 3 Customs Officers checking out the ENTIRE ship. If you booked an early flight, you might get to see it departing as you're waiting in that snaky line from deck to curbside.

FLL Airport not one of my favorites but I'd take it over Miami. My opinion of FLL probably colored by a massive storm in the NE on our flight date canceling our flight and stranding many who were headed elsewhere either there, or in Charlotte. Circumstances considered, the US Airways folks did a heck of a job rebooking as many as they did.

Folks really bag on Sorrentos. I'm a major pizza fanatic who nonetheless thinks what comes from Costco's snack shack is some pretty awesome pizza. It's not the greatest, I have had worse, but some folks make it seem like it should be banned by the Geneva Convention as a torture method.

You had the right attitude about your trip. Stuff happens, we're still waiting for a trip where everything was completely perfect. Learn from it and don't let it ruin your experience. You know more for next time.