Boarding the ship

aussiekers

Where do you find the time you are suppose to board the ship. We will be getting on the Coral next Wednesday to Alaska from Vancouver, I see it leaves at 4:30, but I don't see in my information when we are suppose to be there.

...I see it leaves at 4:30, but I don't see in my information when we are suppose to be there.

You can check in anytime you want to; the "assigned times" are merely guidelines. We have sailed out of Vancouver several times and have always arrived early, around 10:30/11:00 am. Boarding usually begins around 11:30 or so. You must, however, be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to departure, so the latest is 3:00 pm, but I would not leave it that late.

In Vancouver you will go through US Customs and Immigration pre-clearance, and that can be a bit of a bottleneck, as well as security. Pack your patience with you and you'll do well. ;):)

Usually boarding is sometime around noon. Hubby and I hate the queues for customs and immigration so we tend to go down around 2:30 for a cruise leaving at 4:30. We find many people are waiting in line when boarding begins and it takes awhile for them to get through that backlog. Even if you have privileges with the cruise line that let you skip the line, that doesn't take effect until after you clear security then customs so it's really no benefit.

My advice is to go grab a drink at Mahony & Sons (an Irish pub off the water connected to the conference centre) rather than rush to board. Enjoy the view and get into the mood for your vacation.

Some have said it can take 90 minutes to board with the congestion around noon. Those that get their early get to feast on welcome lunch trough... that you paid for. If you board around 2pm... you might not even get table scraps.

Some have said it can take 90 minutes to board with the congestion around noon. Those that get their early get to feast on welcome lunch trough... that you paid for. If you board around 2pm... you might not even get table scraps.

90 minutes isn't bad, with arriving at noon. You are waiting longer than that, getting there "early" and "waiting". I see people lined up, when I'm getting off the ship- somtimes large, numbers of them. So they "think" they are getting right on the ship- because they are at the front of the line. Makes them feel good. :) They never seem to count the 3/4 hours they arrived "early".

Your room should be ready when you board. One of the nice things about Princess. Go directly there, drop your bags, meet the steward,and head to the dining room for lunch not the buffet. It's a much more relaxed atmosphere. Lunch is from noon to 1:30 usually. Don't believe any staff who tells you just the buffet is open. On our Coral cruise last month DR on deck 6 was open.