Black sand beaches

CruisingSince2012

Is is true that you can't walk on black sand beaches barefoot or near the water? I read about that on Big Island websites, which also state the beaches are awful for swimming and great for snorkeling. If true, I can't do the one thing I always do on beaches: walk at the low tide waterline and get my feet wet and sandy. If I can't do that, would it be a waste of time to visit a black sand beach?

Is is true that you can't walk on black sand beaches barefoot or near the water? I read about that on Big Island websites, which also state the beaches are awful for swimming and great for snorkeling. If true, I can't do the one thing I always do on beaches: walk at the low tide waterline and get my feet wet and sandy. If I can't do that, would it be a waste of time to visit a black sand beach?

Unlike typical beach sand, which is made up of coral and shells pulverized by the ocean, black sand is made up of ground lava. It is sharper and hotter than regular sand. If you are going to walk on it, do put on some reef walkers or similar.

There are really nice beaches for swimming, snorkelling and dipping your toes in while walking, along the S. Kohala Coast on the BI, but only one black sand beach there that I can think of - Honokaope - and I agree that it's better for snorkelling than just swimming or walking on.

Some of the black sand beaches (e.g. Pololu and Punalu'u) aren't safe for either swimming or snorkelling (strong surf and rip tides) but they do offer up a lot in the way of scenery ... not just for the black sand itself, but for the surrounding scenery.

Edited by Susan-M

Unlike typical beach sand, which is made up of coral and shells pulverized by the ocean, black sand is made up of ground lava. It is sharper and hotter than regular sand. If you are going to walk on it, do put on some reef walkers or similar.

Ugh, that is what I was afraid of. :(

Couldn't you admire the black sand beach without walking barefoot on it....and leave the barefoot walk for beaches that are more conducive to doing that?

It's like saying you don't want to see a mountain because you won't be able to climb it.;)

Edited by Susan-M

Couldn't you admire the black sand beach without walking barefoot on it....and leave the barefoot walk for beaches that are more conducive to doing that?

It's like saying you don't want to see a mountain because you won't be able to climb it.

At least there are other trails near the mountain to make the drive worth it. I'm not sure it is worth the time and gas to go there just to look at black sand since there is so much else to do on Big Island.

Yes...BLACK sand is freaking HOT! Wear shoes! Even white sand can be too hot to walk on! The exception is quartz sand....found on the west coast of Florida...but only on some beaches...the sand NEVER gets hot! Too cool!

Black sand is cool to look at, but it's an uncomfortable, and hot beach day!

Yes...BLACK sand is freaking HOT! Wear shoes! Even white sand can be too hot to walk on! ..................

Black sand is cool to look at, but it's an uncomfortable, and hot beach day!

True .... Even the little tide pools formed are HOT! :eek:

Seems black sand sticks to things more ... but probably that's because it's black and more noticeable. :rolleyes: .. :D

LuLu

At least there are other trails near the mountain to make the drive worth it. I'm not sure it is worth the time and gas to go there just to look at black sand since there is so much else to do on Big Island.

There's more to look at than the black sand - e.g. Pololu beach is in a beautiful valley with stunning views of the lush green valley floor and slopes - and there's a trail that parallels the beach, through a stand of trees - only about 100 ft. from the water's edge - it's a magical place!

Agree, there is a lot to do on the BI, but the drive along the scenic coastal route to get to Pololu Valley, and returning via Kohala Mountain Road, is one of the more scenic drives on the BI, and offers numerous places of interest to stop along the way.