Arriving day before Cunard Cruise

benji

( I have already posted this in the East Coast Departures Forum - but I decided to post it here also - since it involves a Cunard Cruise)

We (2 older people) will be arriving at LGA after 3:00pm the night before a Cunard cruise from Red Hook. Should we stay near LGA and take a hotel shuttle and then a private car to the port the next morning or stay somewhere between LGA and the port and take a private car from the airport to the hotel and then also take a private car from the hotel to the pier the next day?

Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated. We are not looking to do any sightseeing in New York since we have been there many times before.

Here is another alternative. Assuming that your hotel near LGA has a shuttle bus, take the hotel shuttle from LGA to the hotel. The morning of departure, take the hotel shuttle back to the LGA and then take the Cunard coach service from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The only catch is that you must tell Cunard that you are arriving on some plane that will arrive at LGA the morning of departure. That is how we do it coming into Newark. It should be the same for LGA.

Bob

Edited by BobBranst

I wouldn't over complicate this. Stay by LGA, you'll probably tired after the flight and if your hotel offers a shuttle, all the better.

The next morning take a cab from the hotel to the cruise terminal it's only 12 miles or so from LGA.

Tell the hotel where you're going and have them arrange for the taxi. It shouldn't be a problem. Should go without saying...but wait until well after rush hour.

Edited by Cruise NH

This has been our experience with embarking in Brooklyn. We have stayed at a hotel near LGA that provided an airport shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We had a fairly long wait for the shuttle. We have taken taxis and private cars to hotels in New York City and also Brooklyn. After trying several options, we prefer to get a taxi or a private car from the airport to a hotel in Brooklyn. That way, we are very close to the ship. We have stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Brooklyn. It is very nice and fairly new. The only disadvantage is that there is no restaurant in the hotel for dinner. They do offer a complementary continental breakfast. There are many restaurants within walking distance but they are all a few blocks away from the hotel. If you prefer a hotel with a restaurant, I would suggest that you look at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. It is a lovely hotel in Brooklyn with a restaurant. In the last few years, Brooklyn has gotten a lot of new hotels so there are many options if you decide to stay there. Have a fabulous voyage!

( I have already posted this in the East Coast Departures Forum - but I decided to post it here also - since it involves a Cunard Cruise)

We (2 older people) will be arriving at LGA after 3:00pm the night before a Cunard cruise from Red Hook. Should we stay near LGA and take a hotel shuttle and then a private car to the port the next morning or stay somewhere between LGA and the port and take a private car from the airport to the hotel and then also take a private car from the hotel to the pier the next day?

Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated. We are not looking to do any sightseeing in New York since we have been there many times before.

Fairfield interior is a little clinical, so check out the McCarren Hotel. Great service and food, plus a rooftop garden for evening drinks.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

If you prefer a hotel with a restaurant, I would suggest that you look at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. It is a lovely hotel in Brooklyn with a restaurant.

We stayed at this hotel in early May after coming off the TA (had a couple of days where I needed to do some business in the area). There was a large contingent of QM2 passengers gathering in the lobby area when we arrived, so it appears to be popular for this purpose.

I thought it was an excellent hotel in terms of rooms, staff, and offerings. If you are Gold or Platinum in the Marriott Rewards program, you will get access to the lounge for breakfast and dinner. It is very nice and offers ample quantities of food of the same quality you'd get in the hotel restaurant. If you aren't at that elite level, the cost of a lounge room is sometimes only about $20 more than the regular room, which is a good bargain on what you get in the lounge.

When we fly to LGA we stay at the Marriott. They have a complimentary shuttle, but you have to phone for it to come and get you. On our most recent trip (last year) the restaurant was not open for dinner so we had to eat in the bar which wasn't too much of an inconvenience. Room service was available as an alternative.

We always use a car service to the pier and the hotel will arrange one. I believe it was about $50 - $55 last year. Everyone says a taxi would be cheaper - unless it gets stuck in heavy traffic.

There are several hotels with a shuttle only 5 minutes from LGA in a couple of price ranges -- average is about $150. They will all arrange for a cab or car for you from the hotel to the terminal in the morning - $35 to $55 plus tip (there are no tolls on the route). Food is pretty much something from the hotel or delivery - no restaurants close.

OR

you can go directly from LGA via cab to Red Hook to a hotel very near the terminal. There is a Comfort Inn within five minutes of the port and they provide a complimentary shuttle. It's "basic" and the area is pretty devoid of restaurants but the location is the draw.