Ask the Hotel Director about the 18% Restaurant auto-tip during the Officier Q&A?

fstuff1

Before the 18% auto-tip for specialty restaurants workers, their tip was paid out of the $12.95/day room charge.

it made sense because these workers worked at both the free main dining rooms and the specialty restaurants.

there's no 'specialty restaurant only' staff.

Could someone ask the hotel director about the recently added 18% auto-tip for specialty restaurants ?

specifically, do staff working in specialty restaurants NO LONGER get a piece of the $12.95/day DSC during that shift?

specifically, do staff working in specialty restaurants NO LONGER get a piece of the $12.95/day DSC during that shift?

Those servers who are working in the specialty restaurants do not get a part of the DSC while working there. Only those who work in the complimentary areas get a part of the DSC.

Harriet

So a higher DSC is now shared amongst a smaller number of staff.
How long has it been since they raised the DSC? Maybe just consider this a raise for those staff members who are included, as they might be getting an extra couple of bucks a cruise, since the specialty restaurant servers are out of the DSC. Edited by NLH Arizona

How long has it been since they raised the DSC? Maybe just consider this a raise for those staff members who are included, as they might be getting an extra couple of bucks a cruise, since the specialty restaurant servers are out of the DSC.

Maybe I missed the press release that says these workers hired through a third party contracting company unilaterally got a raise outside their contract terms. Please direct me to that I'd love to read it.

Maybe I missed the press release that says these workers hired through a third party contracting company unilaterally got a raise outside their contract terms. Please direct me to that I'd love to read it.
I didn't say they got a raise, just said: Maybe just consider this a raise for those staff members who are included, as they might be getting an extra couple of bucks a cruise, since the specialty restaurant servers are out of the DSC.

BTW, you say NCL didn't say that the crew is getting the additional money, but I'm sure you also realize that they also didn't say that they weren't getting the extra money.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I didn't say they got a raise, just said: Maybe just consider this a raise for those staff members who are included, as they might be getting an extra couple of bucks a cruise, since the specialty restaurant servers are out of the DSC.

BTW, you say NCL didn't say that the crew is getting the additional money, but I'm sure you also realize that they also didn't say that they weren't getting the extra money.

I guess you did use the non committmal maybe so you are off the hook.

Look into how cruise worker staffing contracts work. They may get a raise at their next negotiation but NOT before.

I guess you did use the non committmal maybe so you are off the hook.

Look into how cruise worker staffing contracts work. They may get a raise at their next negotiation but NOT before.

Well thanks for letting me off the hook, it is very kind of you, since I never said they got a raise, but thanks nevertheless.

Those servers who are working in the specialty restaurants do not get a part of the DSC while working there. Only those who work in the complimentary areas get a part of the DSC.

Harriet

ah.. thx.

where did you hear this from? a server? a memo release?

now my next question is WHY was this changed?

the old method of tipping all restaurant waitstaff from the $12.95/day room charge seemed nice and simple.

now you have to keep track on of when a worker works in a specialty restaurant, keep track of a different pool of tips, more paperwork, etc.

Edited by fstuff1

You told someone to consider it maybe a raise. And that is very wrong. It is a revenue stream.

I think that is the key. Do the bartenders and servers actually receive the 18% forced gratuity? NCL takes the money and doles it out or doesn't - we don't know. Our perception about the quality of service is irrelevant. On land, I avoid restaurants with mandatory grats because I tip dependent on the level of service provided. Only once in my life have I left nothing and frequently leave in excess of 25%. If I pay the tip, I have the right to determine how much and to whom. Instead, our tips are likely lining management and shareholder pockets.

I think that is the key. Do the bartenders and servers actually receive the 18% forced gratuity? NCL takes the money and doles it out or doesn't - we don't know. Our perception about the quality of service is irrelevant. On land, I avoid restaurants with mandatory grats because I tip dependent on the level of service provided. Only once in my life have I left nothing and frequently leave in excess of 25%. If I pay the tip, I have the right to determine how much and to whom. Instead, our tips are likely lining management and shareholder pockets.

NCL take some off the top for crew programs. Of the remaining amount some portion is given to eligible staff members at a rate consistent with the companies own internal performance metrics. The better the staff members performance the more they can earn. The company only guarantees a minimum and no one knows what the performance metrics are based on or the tier levels needed to unlock XYZ percentage of the pooled funds. The Fox guards the Hen house

this was asked in one of the Officer Q&A's on one of my cruises.

(this was before the 18% tip was added to specialty restaurants.)

ALL tips go to the employees but not all of go directly into the employee's pockets. a small portion is kept for employee moral and team building events.

ie: employee parties

that's something I disagree with.

employee moral and team building should be coming out of the company coffers.

ah.. thx.

where did you hear this from? a server? a memo release?

now my next question is WHY was this changed?

the old method of tipping all restaurant waitstaff from the $12.95/day room charge seemed nice and simple.

now you have to keep track on of when a worker works in a specialty restaurant, keep track of a different pool of tips, more paperwork, etc.

Why this was changed I couldn't tell you. However I can direct you to where I heard this from:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

It specifically says 'complimentary restaurant staff. So, they get the DSC and those who work in the specialty restaurants get the 18%.

I can try and find where it says staff in specialty restaurants get 18% but I don't think there's a questions about that.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

FWIW....Specialty restaurant workers are still eligible for DSC benefits....the pool of employees covered was not changed.

I beg to differ with you.....Not while working in the Specialty Restaurants.

Here's my source: http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

Where's yours? Yes, they USED to be...but not since they starting getting 18% at the specialty restaurants.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I beg to differ with you.....Not while working in the Specialty Restaurants.

Here's my source: http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

Where's yours? Yes, they USED to be...but not since they starting getting 18% at the specialty restaurants.

Harriet

Beg to differ all you like, the facts won't change...even if you choose not to believe.

You have to read with one eye on what they say, and the other on what they don't say...especially when dealing with marketing materials. In this case the word "includes" is very important.

To say "Staff Members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards, and behind-the-scenes support staff.." does NOT exclude those who work in the Specialties...after all they ARE "Staff Members".

Now...if it said "Only staff members in the complimentary restaurants, stateroom stewards, and behind-the-scenes support staff..." that would be totally different.

Not much different than realizing that "up to 50% off" does not mean that everything is 50% off.

you stil have the right. Remove your auto tips and tip as you go along. When you have the speciaty restaurants with the 18% you need only tip at breakfast and lunch and your cabin steward, the people who serve you. If you want to donate extra to NCL"S revenue stream by double tipping when you don't use the MDR that will be ok too.

Beg to differ all you like, the facts won't change...even if you choose not to believe.

You have to read with one eye on what they say, and the other on what they don't say...especially when dealing with marketing materials. In this case the word "includes" is very important.

To say "Staff Members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards, and behind-the-scenes support staff.." does NOT exclude those who work in the Specialties...after all they ARE "Staff Members".

Now...if it said "Only staff members in the complimentary restaurants, stateroom stewards, and behind-the-scenes support staff..." that would be totally different.

Not much different than realizing that "up to 50% off" does not mean that everything is 50% off.

You also have to take into consideration HOW NCL reps speak.

I asked the HD on my last cruise about this as well as F&B on my prior cruise. They both stated that specialty workers do not get a part of the DSC when they are working in the specialty restaurants.

I'll simply agree to disagree with you as we both believe we're right :)

Harriet

You also have to take into consideration HOW NCL reps speak.

I asked the HD on my last cruise about this as well as F&B on my prior cruise. They both stated that specialty workers do not get a part of the DSC when they are working in the specialty restaurants.

I'll simply agree to disagree with you as we both believe we're right :)

Harriet

I don't know what "how" someone speaks has to do with anything...:confused:

I see that you've updated and expanded your source now to include people from each of your last two cruises. Probably should have just mentioned that at the start.

We may agree to disagree, but only one of use believes that she's right. ;)