Best 7-day Alaskan Cruise?

Shutterbug623

My family (my mom (70ish), 2 siblings and spouses (30s and 40s), husband, and the 6 grandchildren (who will be 19, 17, 14, 3, 1, and 1)) are looking to go to Alaska next summer. My mom and I went almost 20 years ago on Princess, and my siblings and I have done some cruising on Princess, HAL, Norwegian, Carnival, and RCCL. We are spend time in port people rather than hang out on the boat people. We are not sure yet if we will be able to do a land tour, but if we do, it will probably be DIY because of the littles. We will also probably DIY most of the ports, as that is what we tend to do on cruises. Glacier Bay is a must-see for me.

Here's my question:

Best cruise line to take with a group so varied in age? We've been looking at Princess and HAL because they go to Glacier Bay, but we are open to other suggestions.

Is there a great advantage to going out of Seward or out of Whittier?

Does one cruiseline have more "permissions" or better berths in port?

Besides the obvious advantage of cheaper airfare and the obvious disadvantage of not being able to do a land tour in Alaska, are there other reasons for or against doing a round-trip from Seattle or Vancouver?

Are there particular ships that are more friendly to having groups of cabins together? (We'd be putting 3-4 in a room).

Are there certain lines that are more friendly to having a crib in a slightly darkened/separated space in an inside or oceanview cabin, such as a blocked off closet space? (Our cabin on the Royal Princess last summer had a closet area where we could have put a crib and we could still watch TV/have lights on and not bother the kid.)

Are there things I'm not thinking about but should consider when doing the research for this cruise?

Basically, we'd like to see wildlife, do some hiking, and enjoy the outdoors in a gorgeous place together as a family. I realize that everyone has particular loyalties and preferences, and we are experienced travelers and planners, but I'd thank you for any help and input you could give as it's been awhile since we've been to this area.

Almost everyone loves Glacier Bay, but I've been there 2X and the last time was just a few weeks ago. I personally think Hubbard is much more spectacular and enjoyed it more than GB, so if I was going I would pick an itinerary that went to Hubbard.

Princess has added a lot of Alaskan enhancements this year that I found to be very enjoyable. More fresh Alaskan seafood, special dishes from Alaskan restaurants, local entertainment...... it was a great cruise.

ALL the major cruiselines have a wide range of demographics, so any cruiseline could work out perfectly.

With your Glacier Bay selection, you are already limited to HAL, Princess and NCL for a one way. I wouldn't eliminate any of those at this point.

But you are going to be all over the place, until you determine what route you are going to take.

You are going to get posts- claiming round trips, and specifically round trip Seattle cruises, are poor choices and sloppy seconds. :) I definitely disagree. Over and over, you see rave reviews for ALL cruises. It going to depend on YOU, what cruise route is going to work better for you. just an example- time and funds- could indicate a round trip Seattle would be ideal.

As for cabins- there are few insides that are going to be very roomy. I travel in them most of the time. Frequently they barely fit the beds. with no room for any cribs. :)

Just a few comments - I know Princess doesn't have kids programs for kids under the age of 3. Other lines may offer babysitting services (Princess doesn't). If this is important, you may want to look at lines that can do this.

I don't have any kids and have no first hand experience with this, but I have read several reports on the Princess board that the closet area is a perfect size for pack and play for babies to sleep in. I know that sounds weird but many have reported this with success. The closets are open and face towards the bathroom door vs where the bed is which provides some privacy for the baby to nap, etc.... Again, no first hand knowledge on this but if you are interested in this, you may want to ask on the Princess board or family board.

I do like Glacier Bay as ships never miss it and it is impressive.

Good luck planning the family trip!

I don't think that there is a poor cruise going to Alaska, Princess, HAL and NCL do have the permits to enter Glacier Bay however other lines offer the Hubbard Glacier and it is magnificent in its own right. I really think you need to do your homework on what you and your party want to do. The one thing that I strongly disagree with is the suggestion that a cruise out of Seattle is in any way equal to a cruise out of Vancouver. One only has to refer to a map to see that a cruise from Seattle spends up to a day in either direction on the west side of Vancouver in the open Pacific where there is nothing to be seen. The scenery out of Vancouver is non stop except for a few hours spent in Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance....but normally a cruise out of Vancouver is going to cost you more in airfare and of course you are going to need passports....not to enter Canada but to re-enter the US.

We've been cruising Alaska since our first cruise, over 30 years ago. The only really 'poor' itinerary to me is one that only visits Tracy Arm and neither Glacier Bay nor Hubbard Glacier. We did that itinerary on a Disney cruise, but for us the cruise was about trying Disney rather than wanting to see Alaska.

Tracy Arm is a great 'fjord' experience, but if you want to see tidewater glaciers (particularly calving) it is risky. We're only 1 for 3 on our cruises that included Tracy Arm for actually making it to either the North or South Sawyer glacier. If there are too many seals (they have their pups there), the ship will turn around early. If the glaciers are too 'active' (calving), there is too much ice in the water for safety. Again, the ship turns around early.

Unless there is a major extenuating circumstance (such as a DUI on one's record that would prevent them from entering Canada by air or land), I am one that strongly prefers the r/t Vancouver sailings over those from Seattle. I have done Alaska cruises from both cities. I grew up in Seattle and love it there, but the first and last sea days on those cruises will literally be SEA days. Except for the weather, you could pretty much be on any ocean, anywhere. Yes, you can usually make out land on the horizon (weather permitting) on the Seattle sailings, but the Vancouver cruises will have scenery all around the ship most of the time those two days.

If there is any concern about seasickness the Seattle cruises will be rougher out in the open ocean. Whereas the Vancouver cruises are generally protected by the islands (the ones proving some of the scenery). Now, crossing Queen Charlotte Sound at the north end of Vancouver Island does leave the ships sailing from Vancouver unprotected for a bit, but if it is rough seas there it will still be less time than if out in the open Pacific.

After we did our first Seattle cruise we knew we preferred Vancouver and returned the next year (yet again) for another from Vancouver. On our last day returning to Vancouver we were calmly sailing amongst the islands. Even though the weather wasn't what most would consider "perfect", it was gorgeous seeing the mist draping around the trees. We could quite easily see the trees, we were that close. We were talking to the Captain and mentioned that we'd done the Seattle cruise the previous year. His reply was that we should be glad that we chose Vancouver this time, as a sister ship was also returning that day, but to Seattle. He said that they were "really bouncing around" out in the Pacific.

For us - beautiful scenery, no matter the weather, and calmer seas vs. the potential for "bouncing around" and no scenery.... We won't say No to a Seattle departure, but it took a unique 2-week itinerary with friends for us to sail from there a second time.

I'm sure those who have sailed on the r/t Seattle cruises loved their cruise. IMO, they didn't know better. ;)

If one wants to do a one-way Alaska cruise, it HAS to be either to/from Vancouver. The PVSA prohibits foreign flagged ships from doing Seattle-Alaska cruises.

Edited by Mary Ellen

I'm sure those who have sailed on the r/t Seattle cruises loved their cruise. IMO, they didn't know better. ;)

I sail a couple times per year out of Seattle, Having sailed Alaska at least 50 times, I'll speculate this doesn't pertain to me. :) This is a very good trip in May for the humpback migration.

There are also plenty of people sailing- who don't care about the sailing route and wouldn't see any more "scenery" sailing out of Vancouver.

I sail a couple times per year out of Seattle, Having sailed Alaska at least 50 times, I'll speculate this doesn't pertain to me. :) This is a very good trip in May for the humpback migration.
Of course not. You've made an informed decision. Just like when we took the Disney cruise with pitiful itinerary - for someone who wanted to see Alaska, not Disney with Alaska in the background. As we'd been to Alaska a good number of times it didn't matter to us. I did feel sorry for those who chose that cruise expecting to see more of Alaska. I often see rave reviews from first time cruisers, no matter the cruise line or itinerary. They have no point of reference.

As to "There are also plenty of people sailing- who don't care about the sailing route and wouldn't see any more "scenery" sailing out of Vancouver." Those aren't generally the kind of cruisers who come here looking for the 'Best 7-day Alaskan Cruise'. ;)

In my experience the majority of people doing Alaska cruises are all about the scenery - and wildlife. Most people looking for info here are planning their first, and possibly only, Alaska cruise. They aren't going hoping to see ocean that they could see anywhere.

Two of our cruises that have included Alaska in May have started in Asia. We've seen the most whales that time of year off the shores of Japan and along the Aleutians. Not so many as we've gotten closer to SE Alaska. The spring trans-Pacific cruises might be something to consider for future whale watching. It is also very nice being usually the only ship in port. Reminds us of our early Alaskan cruises.

Back to the OP. As you mentioned, the air is more expensive with the one-way cruises. The cruise lines may offer better fares than you can do on your own. You may also want to look at the times of the flights, particularly since you mentioned young children. Generally you're looking at red-eye flights. That may, or may not, be something to consider when trying to decide between the r/t vs. o/w cruises.

My first cruise was a southbound on Carnival. It was a family cruise, chosen and paid for by my (now ex-) in laws. Unfortunately, we only did the cruise, and flew in the day of (not my choice!) so didn't get to see any of interior Alaska. I always felt that I missed out on that opportunity.

Now we cruise annually from Seattle for several reasons. We live in the Seattle area, so it doesn't require any extra time or airfare to get to the port. I have very limited vacation time, so I don't have extra time for getting to Anchorage or doing interior touring. Someday I hope to be able to do a one-way cruise and land tour, but for now, I'm happy with the round-trip Seattle cruises.

I have done 1roundtrip cruise on HAL Volendam, 1 southbound on Celebrity Mellinium and 1 southbound on HAL Statendam. All of these ended in Vancouver and both of the Southbound cruises started in Seward. I have also done 1 trip to Alaska which was totally landbased. I would first look at the different itenaries and it looks like since you are particularly interested in Glacier Bay that does narrow you down to HAL, Princess and NCL. I chose the HAL ships because we wanted inside or at the very most outside rooms so we liked the lower promenade rooms because it is just a few steps to an outside deck with lounge chairs. However these 2 ships are some of their older ones and are smaller. But some of the inside rooms on that deck are very large and HAL has small bathtubs in each one that is great for small children. There is however an up charge to request a refrig in these rooms. The ones toward the rear of the ship are particularly convenient to the outside and there is plenty of room out there for a large group to congregate for glacier viewing and still be very close to your room. We have been on both the iteninary that included Skagway and the one that went to Haines instead. Of the 2 Skagway would be my preference with the mixed age group because there is a wider range of activities plus anyone who particularly wanted to go to Haines can take the fast ferry from Skagway.

I have not been on Princess but I understand they also do a very good job in Alaska. Princess has an iteniary that I am tempted by because it goes to both Hubbard Glacier and to Glacier Bay. That gives you 2 chances to see the glaciers since the weather can be a factor.

With children I would also look for a ship with a retractable cover over the main pool area. This area was very comfortable for swimming no matter what the weather. I wish they stayed open later on HAL and they may on Princess or NCL. HAL closes the pool at about 8 pm I think.

Because of all the beauty of nature I'm not sure how important the children's programs will be. My daughter has cruised HAL several times since she was 9 years old and has enjoyed their programs. I think all 3 cruise lines have a policy that a child must be 3 years of age, out of diapers and able to potty independently before they can be left in their programs without a parent. I think only HAL offers the possibility of paying someone on their staff to babysit younger children.

I also think HAL is the only one that allows you to order from both the room service menu and the dining room menu during dining room hours. That is a good feature if a young child really needs to go to bed early then the parent can stay and enjoy the dining room food.

The advantage to Norwegian seems to be a more casual dress code in the main dining room if you don't want to pack dressy clothes. With that said we always make a point for our group to gather at our assigned table for early dining because it is a great time to share family time together and not having to poll the group about when or where to eat dinner because we all tend to scatter during sea days and after dinner. Early dining has seemed to work better for our seniors and young children.

I have been to Whittier and Seward and either is fine for departure. More activities in Seward but a little farther from Anchorage but Whittier is also unique with the one way tunnel used to access the town and there are also small boat tours there.

Many people have different opinions regarding roundtrip vs northbound vs southbound. I think you would enjoy any of them. My personal preference is to fly into Anchorage or Fairbanks and rent an RV then cruise Southbound. I really don't like the long flight home from Anc or Fairbanks. I'm really tempted to cruise northbound the get off and do my own tour then cruise a different iteniary southbound. Last time we were a group of 11 and wanted some personal space so we rented 3 rvs. This works great with the different ages (always have bathroom access, always have food and beds are available for naps). Distances are great in Alaska so always having that kind of access is a real plus ). I have rented through both ABC rentals and Great Alaskan Holidays and both gave good service.