Amaway river cruises

macaroni

The river cruising part of a river cruise doesn't usually start in Prague. Prague is a land tour, or an airport where you arrive, and then you either take the cruise line's transportation to some point on the river or make your own way there, usually Nuremberg or Passau. In Budapest, you're docked in the city. So one consideration is whether you want the long-ish transportation between Prgaue and embarkation at the beginning or end of the cruise.

I didn't even think about the ship going in both directions as I am taking my first river cruise (after 40 ocean cruises) on the Viking Var in November.

I just picked the least expensive date. Geesh, how could I have forgotten how I freezed to death for 2-1/2 years in Pirmasens, Germany, 57 years ago. :eek:

Prague is the Big Deal to visit in Europe, currently, so we are staying 3 days pre-cruise, using the Viking extension. It includes transfer from Prague A/P to Hilton Hotel (with breakfast), 1-day city tour, and then the 2-1/2-hour coach transfer to Nuremburg. Then we also took the 2-day post-hotel in Koln and fly back from Frankfurt through Charles d'Gaulle.

Usually, I use AirBnB for cheap, great stays; however, we decided to splurge. ;)

Trying to decide between going from Prague to Budapest or Budapest to Prague. This would be during the Christmas markets. Would one direction be better than the other? Thanks

Compare the dates of the Christmas markets with the dates of your cruise. If your cruise is in December, all markets should be open. End of November, not all are open yet.

Compare the dates of the Christmas markets with the dates of your cruise. If your cruise is in December, all markets should be open. End of November, not all are open yet.

Most markets open at the beginning of Advent, which is the 29th of November this year. We are traveling this year from Nov. 21-Dec 2nd and I have checked the opening dates for the markets where we are traveling and most all will be open prior to that date.

We loved the markets in Budapest which were open in the 3rd week of November when we visited. Less commercial than many and just charming. I would add time in both cities but IMO there is more to see in Budapest than in Prague.

Is the itinerary exactly the same in both directions? (eg same port visits?) Is the timing in some ports more preferable for you?

We tend to do more at the beginning of a trip than the end - that's our preference - so I'd pick the place where I want to spend more time and start there (also assuming the first 12+ hours are going to be me getting over jet lag :p We started our cruise in Nuremberg so we arrived 2 nights before the cruise (we arrived on Wed, embarkation was Friday) and had a couple of days to enjoy NUE on our own - lots of walking to the Christmas markets that first day did indeed help me over the jet lag! We then went the other direction so I can't help with the decision on Prague-Budapest.

Other than to say the reason we did NOT start in Prague (my in-laws did) is that I have been there before and a day and a half isn't enough so I told my husband unless we were going to spend 3 days there, we'd do it another time:D

[i still use the red leather gloves I bought at the Christmas market in Prague in 1992:eek:]

Edited by Hoyaheel

I traveled last month on AMA from Prague to Budapest. Actually we sailed from Vilshofen after taking the AMA bus from Prague. I would recommend concluding your trip in Budapest. Even though it will be cold (but warmer than Prague) standing outside on your last night as the cruise goes up and down the Danube as you look at the Illumination from the shore is absolutely spectacular. We all made a comment that it was a wonderful way to end the trip rather than beginning it.