Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is the closest msg board to my issue with NCL. It is not about service charge vs. gratuity, but is about NCL customer service. I had an issue on my last cruise in January, 2016. On board guest relations gave me a form 55 to fill out and I was to fax or email to customer service when I got home. I think I had 2 weeks to do this and they would respond within the same time period. well, today is April 3 and I have not heard back. I resent sent info, still no reply. I called numerous times, early in day, late in day, but always on hold and no representative. I called the booking line, cause they always answer & explained my issue...she transferred me with same result: no one picked up. As a last resort I have contacted my credit card company and disputed the charge of the cruise. Hopefully, this will get their attention. Very disappointed in NCL customer service. Thanks for letting me vent. No haters need reply, as I am leaving on another NCL cruise next month. ;-)

Hi, this is the closest msg board to my issue with NCL. It is not about service charge vs. gratuity, but is about NCL customer service. I had an issue on my last cruise in January, 2016. On board guest relations gave me a form 55 to fill out and I was to fax or email to customer service when I got home. I think I had 2 weeks to do this and they would respond within the same time period. well, today is April 3 and I have not heard back. I resent sent info, still no reply. I called numerous times, early in day, late in day, but always on hold and no representative. I called the booking line, cause they always answer & explained my issue...she transferred me with same result: no one picked up. As a last resort I have contacted my credit card company and disputed the charge of the cruise. Hopefully, this will get their attention. Very disappointed in NCL customer service. Thanks for letting me vent. No haters need reply, as I am leaving on another NCL cruise next month. ;-)
Some have reported that it is taking a little longer. Did you get a confirmation back from them with a number on it after you sent the form in? I would also email the address that you sent the form to and tell them that since you didn't hear from them, you disputed it to your credit card company. If you fax'd it, I would scan the form and email it in.

That's why FDR changed it to having to send in the form. So they can make you chase your tail and hopefully you'll give up and go away.

Reminds me of the ploys the insurance companies use to not pay your claims.

Good luck getting your money back.:)

Bill

thats what a friend of mine went through. cruised in dec but didnt get reimbursed til march. im going in sept so ill be using one of my capital one cards and theyre very helpful when it comes to this kinda stuff ;)

Thanks for the replies trying to help. Believe me I have resent & resent all papers via email and fax.

This is one of the newest changes instituted by the new CEO, Mr. Del Rio.

I think it is very customer unfriendly to put me & others through this.

You know they are making $ on my $ while they drag their butts following their own rules.

My next email is to Mr. Del Rio. See what that gets me....banned from NCL????? Double gratuities??? Walk the plank???? :D

When I get home from my May cruise, I will follow their rules, but I will also IMMEDIATELY dispute the charge on my cc. I will not pay interest on an amount I am not paying and will not allow NCL to make any interest, no matter how small, on my money.

Edited by Barbdell
add comment

Thanks for the replies trying to help. Believe me I have resent & resent all papers via email and fax.

You know they are making $ on my $ while they drag their butts following their own rules.

My next email is to Mr. Del Rio. See what that gets me....banned from NCL????? Double gratuities??? Walk the plank???? :D

Well, actually, their own rules state if IF you have a problem while on board and after you report that problem IF it is not handled and taken care of THEN you pay remove your DSC. Did you actually have a problem? Did you report the problem? Was it handled while you were onboard? Those are the actual rules.

However, lots of people are simply removing the DSC simply 'because' of whatever reason they want/decide without actually having a problem on board or even reporting a problem. NCL's simply taking longer then they had anticipated with returns as I'm sure they're getting many more people requesting refunds since it's much easier and less embarrassing for the customer to ask for a form and send it in themselves then to discuss with someone at GS exactly why they want a refund.

Those are just my opinions - right or wrong - they're mine - and I'm entitled to them :)

Harriet

Well, actually, their own rules state if IF you have a problem while on board and after you report that problem IF it is not handled and taken care of THEN you pay remove your DSC. Did you actually have a problem? Did you report the problem? Was it handled while you were onboard? Those are the actual rules.

I haven't seen that, but I'm always game for facts. Can you link me to that? That seems in contradiction to what it says in the guest ticket contract

I haven't seen that, but I'm always game for facts. Can you link me to that? That seems in contradiction to what it says in the guest ticket contract

Last time that I looked it was in the FAQ. I have rarely heard of NCL insisting on that procedure for adjusting the service charges.

Last time that I looked it was in the FAQ. I have rarely heard of NCL insisting on that procedure for adjusting the service charges.

The FAQ isn't "the rules" and it certainly is not the contract. I do know that Hpecorari cruises NCL more than I do and is likely more up to date on things than I am; so if something is presented as factual and as a rule, I would like to see it to update my notes. I do know the Guest Ticket Contract was updated about 5 months ago and I believe I have the latest revision (11/15)

However, lots of people are simply removing the DSC simply 'because' of whatever reason they want/decide without actually having a problem on board or even reporting a problem. NCL's simply taking longer then they had anticipated with returns as I'm sure they're getting many more people requesting refunds since it's much easier and less embarrassing for the customer to ask for a form and send it in themselves then to discuss with someone at GS exactly why they want a refund.

Those are just my opinions - right or wrong - they're mine - and I'm entitled to them :)

Harriet

Exactly - agree totally.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I can't find it any longer in the Terms and Conditions or the Guest Ticket Contract. I'm wondering if they've been updated and changed.

Harriet

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I can't find it any longer in the Terms and Conditions or the Guest Ticket Contract. I'm wondering if they've been updated and changed.

Harriet

Guest Ticket Contract latest revision was November 2015.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest-Ticket-Contract-11-2015.pdf

When I get home from my May cruise, I will follow their rules, but I will also IMMEDIATELY dispute the charge on my cc. I will not pay interest on an amount I am not paying and will not allow NCL to make any interest, no matter how small, on my money.

I have two questions:

At today's interest rates, just how much do you think NCL will make on delaying a reimbursement of a few hundred dollars for a month or so?

More to the point: have you already decided that service on your May cruise will be so bad as to warrant your removing the service charges? Sounds to me as though you plan to violate the spirit - if not the letter - of the agreement you entered into with NCL.

I have two questions:

At today's interest rates, just how much do you think NCL will make on delaying a reimbursement of a few hundred dollars for a month or so?

More to the point: have you already decided that service on your May cruise will be so bad as to warrant your removing the service charges? Sounds to me as though you plan to violate the spirit - if not the letter - of the agreement you entered into with NCL.

yes they ARE

Folks, did not mean to ruffle so many feathers!! Let me clarify myself:

We unfortunately had MAJOR, IMHO, issues on our last cruise. I went to Guest Services to discuss. Issue was not resolved, returned to GS next day and was told "take this form 55, fill it out and send it in". End of discussion/issue as far as GS was concerned. Asked for supervisor, who reiterated their hands were tied, fill out form & send it in. Actually, other than my signature they filled out the form. At this point, I am upset that I followed NCL rules and they have not. That is/was my issue. My cc has refunded the $ and gave NCL a chance to respond to the dispute. They did not.

As to how much they, NCL, are making in interest, I know it is not much, but if you multiply my issue by how many others, it may not be so insignificant. Many companies make $ this way. Still, this was not my main concern.

As to disputing charges on my next cruise before I even leave. It is only to see how NCL responds. Who knows, I have UBP, so I may be too tipsy to care. :D

Lastly, let me assure all, we tip VERY generously. Not only our cabin steward but servers in the dining rooms (main & specialty), bartenders, and many behind the scenes folks we have met have benefitted from good service or a kind gesture. I want to make it clear that this was not a matter of just wanting to cut my bill at the expense of the wonderful, hardworking crew/staff we have met.

(Had our concern been addressed on board, there would not have been a need to file this form. NCL left me no choice.)

Wishing all safe sailing. :)

As to how much they, NCL, are making in interest, I know it is not much, but if you multiply my issue by how many others, it may not be so insignificant. Many companies make $ this way. Still, this was not my main concern.

As to disputing charges on my next cruise before I even leave. It is only to see how NCL responds. Who knows, I have UBP, so I may be too tipsy to care. :D

With the way less then a penny they might make on your money, they could times that times a million and it wouldn't be worth the time and effort they have to go through reimbursing folks, etc.

Just wondering, what would you like the outcome to be if you dispute the charges even before you leave on your cruise and what is the reason you are going to give them for doing it?

Also, I probably missed it, but if you would share, what was your issue onboard that didn't get rectified to your sanctification?

Edited by NLH Arizona

We unfortunately had MAJOR, IMHO, issues on our last cruise. I went to Guest Services to discuss. Issue was not resolved, returned to GS next day and was told "take this form 55, fill it out and send it in". End of discussion/issue as far as GS was concerned. Asked for supervisor, who reiterated their hands were tied, fill out form & send it in.

/QUOTE]

Thank you for explaining :) May I ask what issue it was that NCL could not resolve? Usually, I find they try to bend over backwards to solve problems/issues so I'm really curious as they didn't seem to do that with you.

Thanks!

Harrriet

I misspoke...would not dispute charges before sailing...that would be ridiculous...my bad. Sorry.

The incident that started this: never, ever had a crew member curse at me & take a step towards me! I was shocked. A gentlemen passenger, who gave me his name & cabin, actually intervened on my behalf. It was truly a totally unbelievable & un-NCL crew moment. And just want to add I am a grown woman, pretty mellow & before anyone assumes otherwise, I was totally sober. I guess thinking about this there are/were 3 issues: the incident itself, the handling by onboard guest services and finally the follow up customer service by NCL.

QUOTE=NLH Arizona;49624268]With the way less then a penny they might make on your money, they could times that times a million and it wouldn't be worth the time and effort they have to go through reimbursing folks, etc.

Just wondering, what would you like the outcome to be if you dispute the charges even before you leave on your cruise and what is the reason you are going to give them for doing it?

Also, I probably missed it, but if you would share, what was your issue onboard that didn't get rectified to your sanctification?

The incident that started this: never, ever had a crew member curse at me & take a step towards me! I was shocked. A gentlemen passenger, who gave me his name & cabin, actually intervened on my behalf. It was truly a totally unbelievable & un-NCL crew moment. And just want to add I am a grown woman, pretty mellow & before anyone assumes otherwise, I was totally sober. I guess thinking about this there are/were 3 issues: the incident itself, the handling by onboard guest services and finally the follow up customer service by NCL.

Having a crew member curse at you is totally unacceptable. I would have ran, not walked, ran directly to the Hotel Director's office and reported the crew member.