Oosterdam Better Than Ever! A Review

bepsf

. And unfortunately, the Smoking Room at the aft-end of the Explorers Lounge is now locked up and reserved for ship’s photographers and their equipment for private photo sessions.

Thanks Brian!

Great to hear the Oosterdam is still a top-notch vessel!

But was wondering about your above sentence ... If one wants to smoke, where do they go now? Is there a new smoking section in the Explorers Lounge?

thanks!

:)

Food:

One thing that is relatively new in Pinnacle is the luncheon service: 3 courses for $10, no reservations required. The luncheon menu is completely different from the dinner menu, but no less enjoyable. A new personal favorite is the Thai Beef Salad: petite filet medallions on mescalun w/ roasted peanuts, crispy fried cellophane noodles and fried lotus root topped w/ a slightly sweet Thai dressing.

Brian... glad you had a gr8 cruise on the "Big O". I got 3 questions about the Pinnacle Grill at the Lunch time hours:

1. Was there usually a line waiting to get in? (as no reservations are taken for lunch)

2. Is the dress "casual" for lunchtime?

3. What are the times for the Pinn. Grill Lunch?

Thankyou -

Brian... glad you had a gr8 cruise on the "Big O". I got 3 questions about the Pinnacle Grill at the Lunch time hours:

1. Was there usually a line waiting to get in? (as no reservations are taken for lunch)

2. Is the dress "casual" for lunchtime?

3. What are the times for the Pinn. Grill Lunch?

Thankyou -

1. No lines/no reservations required. We were able to waltz right in to a nice table.
  2. Yes, Country Club casual (same as lunch in the Main Dining Room)
  3. I think it's roughly 11.30-2pm? The Daily Schedule has it listed...

We are going to Alaska 7/15/06 on the Oosterdam. Currently have SS suite 8046 w/ verandah on the left side of ship. Wonder if it would make sence to go with an aft cabin VA 5182. There is quite a difference in size. This would not be the corner cabin like you had. What are your thoughts about seeing the sites. Does it matter that our cabin would be on the other side of the ship (8046). Did you have any feedback from people with the VA cabin selection, size, comfort, etc.

Cant wait to go. Thanks for the review:D

You'll still have a great view from your SS verandah. As the Captain slowly spins the ship in Dissappointment Bay everyone on all sides of the ship get amazing views of Hubbard Glacier, so you don't really need to leave your verandah if you don't want to.

The VA cabins are nice, but given the choice I personally prefer the space and amenities of the larger SS even tho it's on the side.

I like my champagne & jacuzzi bubble baths...

;)

Bepsf,

Thanks so much for your review. We will be on the Oosterdam in December (our first Vista ship cruise) and are looking forward to the cruise even more after your comments about service, food, etc. Can you tell me how much of an overhang there is for the aft cabins on that deck (upper promenade)? Is there some shade near the door to the cabin? Thanks! :D

Can you tell me how much of an overhang there is for the aft cabins on that deck (upper promenade)? Is there some shade near the door to the cabin? Thanks! :D

Thanks HALFan - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Not much of an overhang facing the stern - maybe only a foot? Definately wasn't enough to avoid raindrops. (Good thing I found the Dam Umbrella for the Dam Rain...)

But there's tons of shade on the side...

DH and I haven't been on the Oosterdam yet (Jan '06) but had an aft suite on the Zuiderdam a couple years ago. We put our dining table and chairs on the side balcony under the shade so we could have our lunch in the shade. We left the lounge chairs in the back in the sun except one day when it rained (St. Thomas I think) and we moved them on the side so we could nap protected from the raindrops. Yes, there is room for all that on the side.

Can't wait for January. 126 days but who's counting!

Also interested in table plan for O. We had a great table on lower dining, smack in the back, with a super view and would like to repeat when we sail Noordam next March. Have heard Noordam has same layout and would like to confirm. Brian, I see you are on Maiden voyage, we follow on 3rd sailing so will be anxious to hear your comments. Carol

Thank you for the lovely review. I'm boarding Tuesday for a quick coastal trip. Can't wait! I'll have to try the Pinnacle for lunch. I've always wanted to, but dinner in the main dining room has always been so good that the splurge seemed un necessary. The new, lower price is a good compromise.

Cheers,

Friday

There must have been some karma for posting to this thread. When I arrived to board the Oosterdam having booked cabin 5184, and aft balcony in Cat A (I think), I found we had been upgraded to 4180 - an aft corner Deluxe Verandah Suite. I will sacrifice tea from the Empress Hotel and some fine Belgian chocolates to the upgrade fairy immediately upon my return.

Cheers,

Friday

Friday!

It's your old friend, BEAV! :)

Glad to see you're still cruising, and in FINE accomodations!

We're sailing in 4180 next month on Westerdam, so I'll be interested to hear all about your cruise!

Have a great time and enjoy that upgrade. Sure is a nice surprise, huh? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

Are there any "porch lights" on the aft decks in 4180/4185?

We will be in the port of St Martin until 11:00pm. I'm thinking that would be a great night to have dinner out on our deck. But we'll need some lighting as it will be dark. Do you recall any lighting on the deck?

Quite a thorough but wonderful review. I wrote a much smaller one on my repositioning cruise but do agree with you that the Oosterdam was a great sail. A classy ship with the right amount of personal touch and great food.

Victoria? You didn't get off in Victoria? Geez, its my favourite city in Canada still after about a zillion visits. HE HE HE!

table 135 and 136 are on the main level of the dining room and why u enjoy them? Does anyone have a copy of the table numbers & locations on the 'O'?

Thanks so much in advance.

Happy cruisin' (as if it cld be anything else)...!

We were lucky enough to be at 136 and it was so perfect! The aft view is wonderful and we made it a point to rotate the three couples to the window seats. Made it more fun for everyone and mixed up the seating arrangement enough at a table of six for everyone to get to know each other.

Yes, 136 is smack dead-center aft in the lower dining room - so it has a fabulous view of the wake (as do all the window-aft tables in the lower Vista Dining Room)

135 is one window over to the starboard side - still a lovely view and in some ways better positioned as it centers on the dining room itself for a better view of the room and the Baked Alaska parade.

Beav --

Yessiree, there are porchlights on the aft verandahs. I couldn't think of a better place to have an intimate al-fresco dinner party than on one of the aft-corner verandahs on a warm-weather itinerary! There is little wind while underway as long as you are on the deeper aft section instead of the covered side area. If I knew that I was going to do something like that, I'd pack some of those clever rechargeable electric candles ("Candela"s, I believe they're called?) for some extra dinner-table ambiance...

It has been reported that on some of the ships, Suite guests were given the opportunity to have breakfast in the Pinnacle. Was this the case on the Oosterdam? We are on the December 10th sailing and so looking forward to being back on HAL.

Nancy

Great review Brian. The only thing is you have now put a question in our heads. DW and I just returned from sailing on Zuiderdam and were thinking about sailing on her again next spring in Alaska. This would be after her drydocking and we figured that she would be all freshened up. What would you recommend - Oosterdam or Zuiderdam?

Also, while on Zuiderdam we were told that James Deering was supposed to have been on our cruise (Oct. 1st thru 8th) but had been delayed and would return on Oct. 8th. Does this mean that Capt. Henk Keijer and HM Diderik Van Regemorter will both be leaving Zuiderdam? If so, do you know were they will be going?

We loved both of them. Capt. Keijer performed our Renewel of Vows ceremony along with HM Van Regemorter. The HM also attended our Cruise Critic Get-Together and furnished drinks.

Richard

Nancy--

I don't know about breakfast in the Pinnacle - it was never mentioned that I recall and I've never missed an opportunity for Eggs Benedict in bed!

Richard--

If the itineraries were the same, I'd be personally inclined to take Zuiderdam to Alaska next year, because:

1. Capt Van Donsellaar will be sailing her - he'll be switching off w/ Capt Keiger, I believe (there is another thread a page or two back about the captains who will be assigned to all the ships)
  2. Mr Deering will probably be Hotel Manager at that time.
  3. Zuiderdam will be through her first drydock so she'll be good as new. (Oosterdam won't take her first drydock 'till after the '06 Alaska season)

...and I have a new personal goal to sail on all of the Vista-Class ships - after this March, I'll be halfway there! ;)

Archived