Oosterdam Better Than Ever! A Review

bepsf

Ruth

We talked to our cabin attendant and after taking it on 5 cruises no one seems to have a problem with it. We will still take it in April since we are ALL responsible adults I am sure EVERYONE including yourself follows the rules explicitily!!

I am more concerned about smokers than anything so when that stops I will stop. Sorry you feel that way so I will warn you next time I take a cruise so you wont be on the same ship.

Hmmm wonder what they used when the ship ironed my clothes?

I love people on the thread that are always 'self serving' as we have met many on our cruises that complain of one thing and do another...

Was that tirade really necessary??

:rolleyes:

I appreciate the feedback and with the great alternative suggestion, we'll follow the policy. I'm still open to other suggestions for first timers. I've had to tell my wife the plan (was a surprise, she guessed we were going on a cruise to Alaska). She started buying clothes (long sleeve blouses, courdoroy slacks, etc) and I decided she might not be comfortable in Mexico wearing turtle necks and wool <G>. I think returns are in order :)

Has anyone done the day at Las Caletas? It sounds like a lot of fun. Also, booking online is a lot cheaper and the pickup location is the Maritime Terminal, is that the same spot the ship docks? I'm wondering why we can't just walk or take a taxi to where we would meet our tour group. Thinking of using Valartaonline.com...anyone had experiences with them?

Thanks for your help!

Hi!

My husband, cousin, and her husband all spent the day at Las Caletas on the Oct. 8 Oosterdam sailing.

What a gorgeous setting and fabulous day! You are taken by catamaran to an absolute paradise. The water is emerald and clear. The jungle greenery is breathtaking. Plenty of shady places and sunny places are provided for guests to lounge by the beach. My cousin and her husband used the walking trails and found wild orchids and John Huston's museum.

I love to swim and snorkel. Was very happy with the water and views. I saw others in our excursion group who were kyaking (sp?), floating in tubes, etc.

The bar is open. The food is superb. I highly recommend spending the day at Las Caletas.

There were a couple of negatives that might not happen to you. We were told to be ready for our excursion at 6:45 A.M. - Yikes! Getting up was tough. We were tendered to the harbor. Because there were three other cruise ships in port, we waited at the harbor two hours for the catamaran! Most of us were pretty grumpy until we got on our way. After that, it was paradise!

One other piece of advice: Don't sign up for the sea lion encounter. When we arrived, there was a boat anchored off shore with the sea lion and handlers. I just happened to be swimming when the encounter was happening. All I had to do was stay back a few feet and watch.

Later - totally unplanned - I was swimming again. The trained sea lion was done with her show and swam over to me. She "kissed" me, let me pet her, did some flipper tricks and rolls. I don't think she knew the show was over. Her handlers just let her have fun! It was a thrill for me. I totally hadn't expected it!

If we go back to the Mexican Riviera, we've all decided to do Las Caletas again.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the feedback and with the great alternative suggestion, we'll follow the policy. I've had to tell my wife the plan.

Glad I could be of help, Don.

I do think telling your wife was a good idea. I know I would have hated it if my husband had ever planned a "mystery" vacation and I didn't know what to pack.

It's no fun to need the BIG diamonds and they're back home. :D

In 2004, aboard the Zaandam, there was a fire in crew-country. The cause of the fire? A crew member had a hot plate that they had been using to heat up personal food items. They had had it aboard for months, in violation of cruise line policy, and there had been no incidents ... until this crew member for got to turn it off when leaving their quarters. No one was hurt, but an entire evening aboard was disrupted and I understand there was smoke damage to a crew cabin and to all the possession in it.

Cruise Line Rules and regulations pertaining to issues of safety are not established, willy-nilly, at the whim of the line to make life inconvenient for the passengers and crew. They are established to help ensure the safety of the ship and everyone aboard her. In the past on this board we've had wars because some people felt as though there was no problem with them smuggling booze onboard, or no problem with them wearing whatever they please whenever it suits them. In both cases it was claimed that brining booze or refusing to abide by the dress code was perfectly fine because it didn't put anyone's life or property at risk. Now, we have someone claiming that it's okay to break Maritime regulations and cruise line rules because they've gotten away with it many times and the past ... and, besides, "we're all responsible adults." Well, I'm sorry ... as we've seen on this board MANY TIMES, we're not all responsible, nor do we always behave like adults. The spirit of the old Prinsendam, which in 1980 burned and sank in the frigid Alaskan waters, stands in the face of such caviler disregard for fire-safty regulations.

Later - totally unplanned - I was swimming again. The trained sea lion was done with her show and swam over to me. She "kissed" me, let me pet her, did some flipper tricks and rolls. I don't think she knew the show was over. Her handlers just let her have fun! It was a thrill for me. I totally hadn't expected it!

I absolutely wonderful that this happened, was there anyone around that was able to take any pictures? I bet you go a big kick out of that. I know I would have:)

... and, besides, "we're all responsible adults." Well, I'm sorry ... as we've seen on this board MANY TIMES, we're not all responsible, nor do we always behave like adults. The spirit of the old Prinsendam, which in 1980 burned and sank in the frigid Alaskan waters, stands in the face of such caviler disregard for fire-safty regulations.

Even the most responsible of adults can have an accident. I'm sure very few people who have a fire at home deliberately set it.

A rouge wave can come along any time and send passengers and everything not nailed down topsy-turvey.

Remember the reports from the Ryndam a few years ago? Something mechanical (was it a rudder? stabilizer?) got stuck and the ship listed dangerously? People were at dinner and saw the officers take off for the bridge.

Under those unforseen circumstances a responsible person is still going to go flying---with no guarantee that the iron will fly in the same direction.

A very long time ago I was at home, sitting at the breakfast table right where the toaster was plugged in to the wall. As it was drawing electricity a fire started where the cord was attached to the plug. Same thing could happen to an iron.

This thread is reminding me of the one that asked for "favorite things to bring" and one person insisted they HAD to have their candles for romance!! NO one could convince her that they are dangerous!

Come on, people......................the need for SAFETY is great when we're out there on the great sea. I was hoping people were more considerate of those of us who value our lives.:confused:

Hi!

My husband, cousin, and her husband all spent the day at Las Caletas on the Oct. 8 Oosterdam sailing.

Thank you so much! This is great information. :) I'm planning on going to las Caletas for the day and had been wondering what it was going to be like. One question though, you mentioned that there's an open bar...do they also serve safe bottled water and soft drinks?

Thanks also for the warning about the 6:45 leave time!

--Iggi

What a gorgeous setting and fabulous day!

Thank you so much for the information. I booked our day at Las Caletas today, along with the horseback riding with Randi in Mazatlan. We're so excited now. The only day we have nothing booked for is the day in Cabo, but we're thinking about waiting until we're on board to decide if we should plan something or see what awaits us on shore. Now the problem is sharing the brochure, neither of us wants to give it up! Thanks to everyone who has provided us with ideas, suggestions and safety information. For those who have sailed before, your experience is truly appreciated by those like my wife and I who don't know what to expect! Thanks again.

Don

Hi, Lisa!

I'm sad to say that there are no pictures of my unplanned sea lion encounter. (Of course - With the way I look in a bathing suit, the sea lion would have bathing beauty status - No question about it!)

Al (DH) and Woody (Jean's husband) were swimming with me at the time so at least I have witnesses!

Every time I think back to our wonderful week on the Mexican Riviera, I have to smile to myself. I had NO idea what to expect. It turned out to be so much fun!

Thanks again for being such a gracious hostess at the Sail Away Party, Lisa. I know you're counting down for the next HAL adventure!

Sylvia

Bottled water was all over the place - both on the catamaran and Las Caletas.

I recall fruit juices, bottled water, and non-alcoholic drinks being served on the catamaran as we made our way toward Las Caletas. Wisely, the crew didn't want people going snorkeling and swimming after consuming lots of adult beverages during the one hour boat ride to our destination.

Once we reached Las Caletas, the bar was open all day. Most people seemed to alternate between adult beverages and water and soft drinks.

The lunch was cooked and served outside on the beach. It was absolutely delicious.

On the journey back, both adult beverages and water and soft drinks were available on the catamaran.

I hope you have as much fun as we did. It was truly a perfect day!

Sylvia

I'm not sure what you most want to do in Cabo, but here's what we did.

(I have to give my cousin, Jean, credit for making this a success.)

If you are not part of an excursion in Cabo (as we were), be prepared for lots of vendors. There will also be those who are pushing for you to sign on for a tour of their resorts. Pass these folks by.

Now - if it's the beach you want, here's what we did.

We took a water taxi and ended up on the beach in front of The Malia (sp?). The Malia is a huge resort that encourages cruisers to enjoy their pool and private beach. The area is roped off so the vendors cannot bother you.

Even though the pool was magnificent, we wanted to enjoy the beach. They had chairs plus these huge beach mattresses. I have never sunned on a gigantic beach mattress - It was VERY nice. And, swimming in the ocean was lots of fun too! (Be careful though. There was a pretty strong undertow that day. However, a rope extended out into the ocean. I went swimming three times and had to use the rope once.)

You can get drinks and food easily at the Malia. Both the beach and pool are open to you as a day cruiser.

If you want to tour the city of Cabo, I hope someone will chime in and give you advice about what to see. Can't help you there because we spent our time on the beach.

Archived