Taking cans of soda onboard

dbsb3233

Looks like the new policy went into effect last week for limiting bring soda onboard...

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM3MDc3Mzk3L3NpZC83SWhDZ3hybQ%3D%3D

It says we're allowed to bring 12 cans onboard (no bottles). But there seems to be a little conflict in wording between "on embarkation day" (as it says in the main policy) vs ports along the way too. Further down it says:

Q. Does this apply to bringing bottled beverages on board in ports of call too?

A. Yes.

So I assume that means if we see a store in port and grab a 12-pack, we'll be allowed to bring it on? It's just odd that they would narrow it to "on embarkation day" in the main policy description as though it doesn't apply to every port.

I'd be curious to know the answer to this also. Many times ports have local sodas which I'd love to bring on board. Most often they are in cans.

Now that we know lemonade is free and available in the MDR, we don't feel the need to buy the unlimited soda pkg. We'll just buy cans ad hoc when we want them. But roughly 5 bucks for a 12-pack at a local store is a lot better than $2.25 x 12 = $27 onboard.

We're doing an Alaska cruise next week. Doesn't look like there's an easy place to buy a 6 or 12-pack near Port 91. But there may be in Skagway halfway through the cruise. Just not 100% sure if we'll be allowed to bring it onboard, as that policy reads just a big confusing.

Now that we know lemonade is free and available in the MDR, we don't feel the need to buy the unlimited soda pkg. We'll just buy cans ad hoc when we want them. But roughly 5 bucks for a 12-pack at a local store is a lot better than $2.25 x 12 = $27 onboard.

We're doing an Alaska cruise next week. Doesn't look like there's an easy place to buy a 6 or 12-pack near Port 91. But there may be in Skagway halfway through the cruise. Just not 100% sure if we'll be allowed to bring it onboard, as that policy reads just a big confusing.

There is a grocery in Skagway, I purchased a bunch of snackfood, including a 6 pack of pop. No problem bringing it onboard.

Loophole to bringin bottles on board would be getting them out of the vending machines past the security/check in area . I haven't cruised since the rules change but the way Tampa is set up - you pass the vending machine to get on the ship. Ft Lauderdale and Miami as well.

I know where all the drink machines are - The 12 pk rule hurts us.

My spouse doesn't drink coke products and he is addicted to sodas :rolleyes:. We can't drink alcohol anymore.

Edited by tbbtravels

Is there a limit to ounces on the cans? Some of the Arizona tea cans are more than 12 ounces.... Would 12 16 ounce Arizona tea cans per person be allowed at embark?

I was thinking this as well. I like watermelon amp. Now I can almost guarantee they won't have that on the ship. I'd like to buy a few in Miami and take it with me. But, they are 16 oz. I could do a 12 pack of pepsi for my husband and 1 and a few watermelon amp and I would be happy. But I know those cans don't come in a smaller size.

Is there a limit to ounces on the cans? Some of the Arizona tea cans are more than 12 ounces.... Would 12 16 ounce Arizona tea cans per person be allowed at embark?

The policy officially says a maximum of 12 ounces:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Now, whether they're really going to deny entry of 16 oz cans in practice is anybody's guess. I probably wouldn't risk it though. It would just start the trip out on a lousy note if they did deny it.

The policy officially says a maximum of 12 ounces:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Now, whether they're really going to deny entry of 16 oz cans in practice is anybody's guess. I probably wouldn't risk it though. It would just start the trip out on a lousy note if they did deny it.

Someone could try to take a couple of individual 16 oz. to see if they object to that size since it doesn't come smaller. However, go with the attitude that if it's taken away, so be it.

I'm only suggesting this because what they want to take on board does not come smaller.

Edited by Sparky2

Loophole to bringin bottles on board would be getting them out of the vending machines past the security/check in area . I haven't cruised since the rules change but the way Tampa is set up - you pass the vending machine to get on the ship. Ft Lauderdale and Miami as well.

I know where all the drink machines are - The 12 pk rule hurts us.

And how much do the machines charge? They can't be that cheap...

Just got off the Breeze today and they were not allowing people to bring soda on at port of calls (if it was seen)...they took 1 can that I had brought onboard at embarkation (had it with me during the day but not consumed).

They also would not allow bottles of water, unless it was a " Carnival " bottle and they checked to see that it was unopened.

If they continue to not allow soda to be brought onboard at port of calls it would not be consistent with their reasons for not allowing water bottles. I would imagine there would be inconsistent application of the rules for a while

Thought I would let you all know.

We had a great trip