Spas - S vs. R class

Moriah

As many can probably tell from my recent spate of new threads, I'm getting excited about my upcoming cruise on Volendam. After many (I think about 25?) cruises with HAL, this will be my first on an R-class ship. I have sailed on all other classes except Prinsendam, which of course, is in a class by itself. Anyway, my current question is about the thermal suite on Volendam.

I LOVE the suites on the Vista and Signature Class ships because of the large hydropool, but also because of the VIEW from the thermal couches. On Maasdam and Veendam (the only two S-class ships I've been on) those couches have an obstructed view, which, while it didn't deter me from using them, was a disappointment...

I realize that Volendam's hydropool is just the small whirlpool in the same room with the thermal couches, and I'm fine with that, but I'm hoping the R-class ships have unobstructed views from that room? Anyone have any photos? There is one photo on the HAL site, but I've noticed that it's hard to pinpoint any particular ship on the site - they seem to interchange photos with abandon...

Edited by Moriah

I don't remember the view from the ceramic loungers on the Veendam being obstructed. But then, I don't see out too much when I'm on those lovely beds.

I didn't take the opportunity to try one on the Volendam this past spring, so can't help you there. Sorry. But I am betting it's a similar set-up.

We were on the Amsterdam in May, and sadly didn't go into the room with the loungers... I didn't want to disturb anyone that was there to relax. But I believe that i have seen photos of the loungers where you could see easily out the windows. The SPA and gym are both in an area in the front of the ship, and the areas we DID go to had great views...

Sorry I couldn't be any more help... but the R-Class ship was a nice size to feel cozy and not too huge. There are a lot of photos and a Review below ----

I don't remember the view from the ceramic loungers on the Veendam being obstructed. But then, I don't see out too much when I'm on those lovely beds.

Actually on S-class (or at least on Maasdam and Veendam) the view is really only "good" from one of the thermal couches - the rest have "views" of the deck outside with people walking around (sometimes) - still a nice view of the sky though. I am hoping that the design is better on Volendam and the R class ships - more like the Vistas where there is absolutely nothing between the window and the "outside world". But I hear you Ruth! I don't know why I even care about the view since I almost always close my eyes and zone out anyway! :)

The thermal suite on the R-class is essentially identical to the S-class, with a solid balcony rail on over the bridge wing.

The benefit, however, is that when you are in port, or sailing slowly (as in Glacier Bay, for example) you have access to that balcony with wide ranging view forward, to starboard, and aft along the hull.

The thermal suite on the R-class is essentially identical to the S-class, with a solid balcony rail on over the bridge wing.

The benefit, however, is that when you are in port, or sailing slowly (as in Glacier Bay, for example) you have access to that balcony with wide ranging view forward, to starboard, and aft along the hull.

Oh, I'm kind of disappointed that it's not the wide open view like the Vistas, but I guess I'll survive! :) Actually on Maasdam and Veendam, anyone could access that "balcony" deck outside the thermal suite - there was a door to it from the room with the thermal couches but also from two other places on the Lido deck forward.