Power Strip

oxypete

Traveling on the Ocean Princess in August with two iPads, two iPhones and a camera that will all need charging every day. Can someone recommend a power strip that is small enoigh to pack but will handle thes five devices? Many thanks

Pete

Traveling on the Ocean Princess in August with two iPads, two iPhones and a camera that will all need charging every day. Can someone recommend a power strip that is small enoigh to pack but will handle thes five devices? Many thanks

Pete

Its best to go to your electronic store and look them over.

There are some multi port USB chargers that might be another option. Check Amazon and other internet sites. I used to carry a two port by Belkin but now DW and I both have Apple Watches, iPhones, iPads and noise canceling headphones. I need to find a good one to bring for our next cruise.

Edited by IECalCruiser

This topic was brought up several years ago and someone recommended a "Monster". I can happily say we purchased it and it has worked very well. I see the same one is still available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437269725&sr=1-2&keywords=travel+power+strip

I used to take a power bar with me until it melted one day when we were out of the cabin for awhile. It was brand new for that cruise. Something to do with the way the ships produce power and the ground reference caused the MOV's in the power bar (that are there to drain voltage spikes to ground) to over heat and the plastic power bar proceeded to melt. We arrived back to our cabin to that burning plastic smell and ships security and electricians in our cabin.

So, I easily get by without one now. There are two sockets on the desk and one behind the TV on most Princess ships but I think Ocean and Pacific have two North American sockets plus a couple of European sockets on the desk that we take an adapter for so we can plug in items with North American plugs there as well.

If most of your items are Apple there are only two different cord types that you need for them all (assuming some have the old big plug and some the new small plug). You will be using these devices quite a bit less than at home since wifi onboard is expensive and/or limited. Just be sure to take at least one of each cord and the iPad chargers (larger) rather than the iPhone chargers. Having 4 or 5 chargers with cords plugged in at all times just creates a huge mess of wires on the desk. Plug in what you need to one of the outlets when you need to charge something.

Thats how I do it now and it really isn't a problem.

If you put "power bar" into the search box you are sure to find extensive discussions complete with a large number of recommendations already here on Cruise Critic.

Terry

I use a Belkin power (surge) protector that I bought at Home Depot. It has 3 or 4 electrical plugs and 2 USB charging ports. iPhones and iPads can be charged with a USB port.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3839636&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&scid=scplp640426&gclid=CNvsoaur5sYCFQoKaQod91oNrg

Has room for three plugs, but usually only two will fit due to the plug size. Also has 2 USB ports, so can you can charge four devices at once.

With all of the electronics to be charged being USB, thank goodness, but camera batteries still requiring the 110V plug in charger, and so little time at night to charge everything, we now use a Monster 3 outlet with a USB connection, short cable that wraps and secures, and a Photive 5 port desktop charger. (We also use the Photive at home.) We plug the Monster into the spare outlet behind the TV, plug the Photive into the single backside 110VAC outlet and then use the front two to plug camera battery chargers into.

The Photive, with its five jacks, can charge our two tablets, two phones and a kindle at the same time - the laptop I plug into an outlet on the desk to charge it.

(What ever happened to the days when you took off with just a dime in your pocket!)

Both of these we got from Amazon. Not sure if they are still available..

Outlets To Go Power Strip with USB - Black

Photive 25 Watt 5 Port USB Desktop Rapid Charger. Multiport USB Charging Station

And ever since the "Versailles Incident" we also carry spare charge packs for our phones. I have a 12 watt and Judy has a 750mW. Mine can charge my phone three times and hers can charge hers to about 50% (she has the large screen IPhone 6.) I always get to carry the heavy stuff....

We use short ( less than 12 inch) extension cords and outlet expanders to accommodate the charging requirements. We also do not overload outlets by using regular appliances, such as a curling iron, on an outlet expander. We plug those sorts of things directly into an outlet as needed.

We use the Victorinox Travel Power Strip. Its not inexpensive but it is compact, travels easily, and we have never had a problem on board. The three plugs and one USB simultaneous charging has been enough for our camera, phones, and iPads.

We use the Victorinox Travel Power Strip. Its not inexpensive but it is compact, travels easily, and we have never had a problem on board. The three plugs and one USB simultaneous charging has been enough for our camera, phones, and iPads.

For iPhone and Kindle I use something like the one below but not that one. I wanted the 5ft cord and ability to plug in many USB items. Just go to Amazon or your favorite retailer and search for USB Charger and look at the multi for features you might want.

I use a white noise app on my iPhone when cruising so I leave it plugged in all night.

http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Family-Sized-Desktop-Smartphones-USB-Charged/dp/B00J5DS8NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437315573&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+charger

Swiss Army stuff isn't necessarily cheap. Unfortunately their website states this is "...not available at this time".

Edited by Treven

I used to take a power bar with me until it melted one day when we were out of the cabin for awhile. It was brand new for that cruise. Something to do with the way the ships produce power and the ground reference caused the MOV's in the power bar (that are there to drain voltage spikes to ground) to over heat and the plastic power bar proceeded to melt. We arrived back to our cabin to that burning plastic smell and ships security and electricians in our cabin.

So, I easily get by without one now. There are two sockets on the desk and one behind the TV on most Princess ships but I think Ocean and Pacific have two North American sockets plus a couple of European sockets on the desk that we take an adapter for so we can plug in items with North American plugs there as well.

If most of your items are Apple there are only two different cord types that you need for them all (assuming some have the old big plug and some the new small plug). You will be using these devices quite a bit less than at home since wifi onboard is expensive and/or limited. Just be sure to take at least one of each cord and the iPad chargers (larger) rather than the iPhone chargers. Having 4 or 5 chargers with cords plugged in at all times just creates a huge mess of wires on the desk. Plug in what you need to one of the outlets when you need to charge something.

Thats how I do it now and it really isn't a problem.

If you put "power bar" into the search box you are sure to find extensive discussions complete with a large number of recommendations already here on Cruise Critic.

Terry

This subject was beaten to death a couple weeks ago on the Celebrity Board; extension cords, power strips, and surge protectors, etc. Celebrity it seems is really cracking down on about anything that resembles either an extension cord or a surge protector.

One person explained why the standard (for land use) surge protectors are not appropriate for ship use and attached the following US Coast "Marine Safety Alert." Note that this Alert applies to all sea vessels, not just cruise ships. It explains in detail why you should never use a standard surge protector on a ship and why the poster I am quoting in this post had a very dangerous situation.

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Yikes, that's scary.

This subject was beaten to death a couple weeks ago on the Celebrity Board; extension cords, power strips, and surge protectors, etc. Celebrity it seems is really cracking down on about anything that resembles either an extension cord or a surge protector.

One person explained why the standard (for land use) surge protectors are not appropriate for ship use and attached the following US Coast "Marine Safety Alert." Note that this Alert applies to all sea vessels, not just cruise ships. It explains in detail why you should never use a standard surge protector on a ship and why the poster I am quoting in this post had a very dangerous situation.

Excellent info, thanks for the link.

Thank you for bringing this up, it is very important.

It has been beaten to death on this board in other threads but people just don't get it and pretty much ignore it.

Maybe it should be said like this:

DON'T USE SURGE PROTECTORS ON THE SHIP. THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS WIRED FOR MARITIME USE AND MAY CAUSE A FIRE. :eek:

It doesn't apply to cruise ships. It applies to commercial ships. If you ask an electrician to read it (who's seen or at least has an awareness of cruise ship power plants), they'll laugh and say you're fine with residential-grade stuff.

Our surge protector/power strip set off an alarm in the bridge and was collected until the end of the cruise when we were on the Diamond transpacific years ago. We had successfully used it on ships prior to that, but haven't used it since. Now we use a short extension cord.

It doesn't apply to cruise ships. It applies to commercial ships. If you ask an electrician to read it (who's seen or at least has an awareness of cruise ship power plants), they'll laugh and say you're fine with residential-grade stuff.

Since when is a cruise ship not a commercial ship? Read the document. Read the part about two-thirds down about maritime electrical systems and how they are different from most land-based systems. Cruise ships are wired just like other large vessels for good reasons.

Yes, some surge protectors are set up to correctly handle maritime systems but, most are not.

You know, I give up here (again) as I remember this ...

"Never argue with a fool as they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - allegedly written by Mark Twain

I always bring a surge protector and will continue to do so. Cruise ship power is no different from your apartment. And some power strips can go bad at your home too.

As long as you don't bring those "3 for a dollar" types, you should be fine.

Our surge protector/power strip set off an alarm in the bridge and was collected until the end of the cruise when we were on the Diamond transpacific years ago. We had successfully used it on ships prior to that, but haven't used it since. Now we use a short extension cord.

Exactly right.

Since when is a cruise ship not a commercial ship? Read the document. Read the part about two-thirds down about maritime electrical systems and how they are different from most land-based systems. Cruise ships are wired just like other large vessels for good reasons.

Yes, some surge protectors are set up to correctly handle maritime systems but, most are not.

You know, I give up here (again) as I remember this ...

"Never argue with a fool as they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - allegedly written by Mark Twain

Remember its all about "ME" after all it is "MY" cruise.

Princess does have some extra properly wired ones on hand that they will loan out.

Yikes, that's scary.

It was on Celebrity Constellation which had marble(?) desk top so no damage was done but had it been the wooden top desks there would have been damage. The burning plastic smell took a good week to dissipate from our cabin.

The word "Surge Protector" likely confuses many people as they just bring a power bar with them. For years now virtually all power bars have surge protection built into them.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

If you ask an electrician to read it (who's seen or at least has an awareness of cruise ship power plants), they'll laugh and say you're fine with residential-grade stuff.

Too many ways to interpret that statement. I am sure there are a great many different marine power scenarios on ships made in different countries around the world that 99% of North American electricians (the ones most here on CC might be asking) would have no experience with what so ever even if they did "have an awareness of cruise ship power plants"

I always bring a surge protector and will continue to do so. Cruise ship power is no different from your apartment. And some power strips can go bad at your home too.

See! No need to search out an electrician for quality advice. If it puts out 120 volts AC it must be "no different from your apartment". Not what the attached link to the warning about using surge protectors at sea said about ships power at all.

Terry