Dream v. Freedom (Galveston v. NOLA)

flyboyswife

Looking at late August departure...same itinerary. Sailing with DH & DC (8yo). We have to fly either way and airfare's about the same. So, it comes down to ship (Dream/Freedom) and departure city (Galveston v. NOLA). All advice welcome! TIA!!

I haven't had the opportunity to sail on the Dream yet (will do so in November) but we sailed in the Freedom last year and LOVED her! She has Guy's Burgers which we enjoy but also the Playlist Productions were out of this world. The best we've seen in any cruise. I don't think you can go wrong either way so I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.

Having sailed on both and from both ports, I would pick New Orleans easily. It is a great place for a pre- or post-cruise stay. The hassle of getting to/from Galveston from either Houston Hobby (HOU) or Bush (IAH) should be taken into consideration as well. I can't complain too much about Galveston though as my next cruise is out of there.

That being said, I prefer the Freedom over the Dream, but only slightly. In this case I would definitely choose based on departure port.

Edited by tncap

I have never been to Texas, but I can say that, out of all the places I have been to for vacation, New Orleans has been my favorite. There is just so much to do in and around that city. The plantations are the best. It is definitely someplace that everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. If you have never been, then I would recommend choosing that cruise based on the home port alone. Good luck!

There are pros & cons with both. I sailed the freedom last thanksgiving and the dream june 21, 2015. I was really excited and thought the dream would be better but to me it wasnt. i enjoyed the freedom more. the dream to be newer i expected something different but the freedom actually had more to me. guys burgers isnt on the dream and to me the food and service was mediocre on the dream. The photographers & camp carnival staff on the Dream were better. I do like the Dream's arrangement and spacing though. despite my review i would tell you to go with whatever itinerary you prefer. STaff move around so much and that is what determines the fun to me. on the dream there were alot of people who are due to go on vacation for October so maybe they are tired.

Sailed both, loved both but much prefer the Dream. Beautiful ship with great service and great food. Although mostly at night, sailing down the Mississippi is a plus and never gets old. Enjoy your trip.

seems like the Freedom is substantially more expensive than the Dream this year in mid August so that made my decision easy. Galveston is expensive-a great New Orleans Hotel can be found for 1/2 the price. I picked New Orleans and the Dream

Have been on both ships and have sailed from both ports. We we do New Orleans. Especially if you can spend a day or two before or after the cruise. A lot more to do and see than Galveston. Also transportation to/from airport less for New Orleans as it is a ways from Houston (Hobby closest) to Galveston. As for ship, either is fine. Dream does have the old style shows with more dancers and 2 lead singers. (it may be last ship for this). Either way you will have a great time...enjoy!

Prices & itinerary the same! NOLA is attractive but super-big ship worries me.

Dream is 130,000 tons and Freedom is 110,000 tons. Dream has 1 more deck and decks 14,15 really do not count as there is very little up there. And usually too windy up there anyways. These are both super-big ships. Dream is 2 years newer. :):):)

I too have sailed both. I usually add another week if sailing out of New Orleans, the city is just excellent for music and food. :) The Dream does have a tasty pasta bar that I ate at most days, but no Guy's. On the Freedom, they have Guy's and the burrito place. Plus, wonderful no touch hand washers between Guy's and the burrito place. :) (yes- simple minded, but don't like swapping spit with everyone :) )

The Galveston port isn't very convenient for the airports. With more time and higher costs involved. I can take the cheap city bus from the New Orleans airport :)

Dream is 130,000 tons and Freedom is 110,000 tons. Dream has 1 more deck and decks 14,15 really do not count as there is very little up there. And usually too windy up there anyways. These are both super-big ships. Dream is 2 years newer. :):):)

Thank you for this! I was under the impression the Dream was significantly larger. Ill go check the number of passengers....

Been on both a couple of times each and think you can't go wrong with either ship! Both are great and each has it's own perks. We really enjoy Guys Burgers and like to hang out at the Red Frog Pub so that might put the Freedom just above;)