Things I read about the Sky that did not prove to be an issue

Hi all, just back from our first cruise on the NCL Sky, and it was fabulous! As a first time cruiser, I was reading up a storm and found some pretty negative reviews of the Sky and the itinerary. Everyone will see what they want to see to some point, but I thought I would list a few things that had me worried, just in case other worriers like me might benefit. Here's what we found on the Sky:

1. The Main Dining Rooms were wonderful. We ate in both Palace and Crossings and the service was fast, efficient and the food was good - some even great! The staff was helpful and really kind. The food was well prepared and consistently tasty. We asked for and were always seated by a window. We enjoyed a beautiful breakfast on the last morning in a pretty empty restaurant, looking out at the harbor.

2. The main buffet wasn't bad either. It gets tiring after a bit, even with TONS of choice. The food was standard buffet line quality - hot, well prepared and some downright delicious. We often ran through for cheese, seviche, olives and dried fruit, then hit the bar for some wine and presto - romantic and tasty treat for the balcony! I was afraid it was going to be a runny egg, dried out chicken mess that I would have to eat standing up, but it was not in the least. Always lots of places to sit with good food.

3. It was not a party cruise at all. We are not White Hot Party types, but there were many on board - including a HUGE group of students (200 or so) from Argentina. We did our thing, the partiers did theirs, and I don't think any of us even noticed the others. Every night we found a beautiful quiet place to relax, and I'm sure they found their places to dance the night away. A highlight for us was the Chef's Dinner - A four hour, nine course extravaganza prepared for just ten guests - it was worth every penny of the $110 per person and gave an amazing glimpse into the pride and ownership felt by Executive Chef Burke and his team. In the end I think everyone can make the cruise what they want it to be. That was one of the nicest things we noticed on the cruise.

4. The cabin was small but had a lot of storage space. I used all the hangers and drawers space, all the shelves in the bathroom, and kept the empty suitcases under the bed. I am not a light packer either!

5. Freeport and Nassau felt safe and we never got approached by people shlepping their wares or drugs or such stuff. We did a Snorkel Safari in Freeport that was awesome, and I was terrified before hand, and just shopped in Nassau. Lovely jewelry and no weird pressure to buy.

Take it for what you will, and you may not agree, but I know I would have loved to see more positive reviews for Sky before we left, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Happy Cruising everyone!

Hi all, just back from our first cruise on the NCL Sky, and it was fabulous! As a first time cruiser, I was reading up a storm and found some pretty negative reviews of the Sky and the itinerary. Everyone will see what they want to see to some point, but I thought I would list a few things that had me worried, just in case other worriers like me might benefit. Here's what we found on the Sky:

1. The Main Dining Rooms were wonderful. We ate in both Palace and Crossings and the service was fast, efficient and the food was good - some even great! The staff was helpful and really kind. The food was well prepared and consistently tasty. We asked for and were always seated by a window. We enjoyed a beautiful breakfast on the last morning in a pretty empty restaurant, looking out at the harbor.

2. The main buffet wasn't bad either. It gets tiring after a bit, even with TONS of choice. The food was standard buffet line quality - hot, well prepared and some downright delicious. We often ran through for cheese, seviche, olives and dried fruit, then hit the bar for some wine and presto - romantic and tasty treat for the balcony! I was afraid it was going to be a runny egg, dried out chicken mess that I would have to eat standing up, but it was not in the least. Always lots of places to sit with good food.

3. It was not a party cruise at all. We are not White Hot Party types, but there were many on board - including a HUGE group of students (200 or so) from Argentina. We did our thing, the partiers did theirs, and I don't think any of us even noticed the others. Every night we found a beautiful quiet place to relax, and I'm sure they found their places to dance the night away. A highlight for us was the Chef's Dinner - A four hour, nine course extravaganza prepared for just ten guests - it was worth every penny of the $110 per person and gave an amazing glimpse into the pride and ownership felt by Executive Chef Burke and his team. In the end I think everyone can make the cruise what they want it to be. That was one of the nicest things we noticed on the cruise.

4. The cabin was small but had a lot of storage space. I used all the hangers and drawers space, all the shelves in the bathroom, and kept the empty suitcases under the bed. I am not a light packer either!

5. Freeport and Nassau felt safe and we never got approached by people shlepping their wares or drugs or such stuff. We did a Snorkel Safari in Freeport that was awesome, and I was terrified before hand, and just shopped in Nassau. Lovely jewelry and no weird pressure to buy.

Take it for what you will, and you may not agree, but I know I would have loved to see more positive reviews for Sky before we left, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Happy Cruising everyone!

We're planning on going on the Sky next year since it's right in our backyard and I agree with what you said about the Sky that pretty much applies to the other 7 cruises we've been on with NCL. I think the naysayers look for things to complain about.

Thank you so much for your review. The Sky was one of my first cruises (many years ago) & was also my last one. I talked three friends who had never cruised before into going on the 4 day Bahamas cruise. After reading some of the reviews here I was VERY nervous. As it turned out; I needn't have worried...everyone had a fabulous time. We've booked our next cruise on the Dawn (who's also getting some pretty bad press on here as well). I have the feeling that we won't be disappointed as long as we keep positive attitudes.

Cheers,

Sandra

Thanks for all the info for those considering Sky. I agree with you. I took Sky in late April and had a great time. Nothing wrong with that ship. Very nice layout and design. Modern too, considering it's 15 years old. The staff was amazing too.

For an alternate to the buffet, I recommend Il Adagio for breakfast and lunch. Right off the pool/bar area. Breakfast has custom made omelettes and waffles along with the standard breakfast items.

Lunch has pasta and pizza. Very good, as well as the breakfast.

Both breakfast and lunch are complementary. They change over to a pay for dinner restaurant featuring Italian food, at about 3P.

Also for a nice quiet lounge to the forward part of the ship, try Outrigger lounge. Nice and quiet large lounge with excellent views. It has a grand piano too.

For the smokers, a nice alternative to the pool/pool bar is the aft of the ship, just outside Cagneys. One level above the outside seating area for the buffet. I think it is Sports deck. Deck 12?

Happy sailing. Sky is one of my faves.

Edited by Jay Sam
additon

Outrigger was our favorite bar! We were often the only ones there, and it is gorgeous! We ate at il Adagio the first day. It was quiet but our least favorite food of the trip, though still good and so nice to just sit and relax. We also found the corner of the pool bar closest to the Adagio restaurant was a great spot to get service.[emoji4]

I have to admit I was glad to read this. We go on Sky soon and I've kind of just been feeling like ughhh sort of wasted some vacation time and money let's just get it over with, but this puts some excitement back in it for me.

Honestly if I stopped reading CC I'd probably be ants in the pants to get on the ship[emoji1]

We were just on the Sky last November and had a great time (other than the weather didn't cooperate too well) but really liked the ship.

I was also concerned because I read a bunch of negative reviews prior to going and that main concern everyone brings up...a "party" ship because it's a shorter cruise. We also DIDN'T find that to be the case. You will find partying going on on each ship no matter how long the cruise was and this ship was pretty tame when we went and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I was real pleased that's for sure! :)

Glad you had a wonderful time.

I have to admit I was glad to read this. We go on Sky soon and I've kind of just been feeling like ughhh sort of wasted some vacation time and money let's just get it over with, but this puts some excitement back in it for me.

Honestly if I stopped reading CC I'd probably be ants in the pants to get on the ship[emoji1]

Don't worry about a thing. Sky is great. I have previously not been an NCL cheerleader, but that 4 day Sky cruise turned things around for me.

I had a marvelous time and now look to NCL for future cruises.

Sky seems like a much larger ship when on board. Nicely decorated, and the staff is awesome. Don't forget Il Adagio for an alternative to the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Happy sailing.

I agree the sky is a great ship, I loved it when I last sailed on it. One of the things I love about the sky was the fact that it is a party cruise, I may be wrong but at least that's how I saw it. There were many more kids on the epic then there were on the sky. From my experience the sky was mostly 18 to 35 year olds.

I'm pretty psyched to go in a few weeks. The picture gallery CC put up really looked great. The Sky seems to offer enough to cater to whatever your tastes are. We aren't big party people but we like entertainment and relaxing during the day. I read negative reviews here but whenever I talk to someone that has been on the ship they rave about it and GSC, so I just hope weather cooperates for GSC. Thanks for your review!

I'm pretty psyched to go in a few weeks. The picture gallery CC put up really looked great. The Sky seems to offer enough to cater to whatever your tastes are. We aren't big party people but we like entertainment and relaxing during the day. I read negative reviews here but whenever I talk to someone that has been on the ship they rave about it and GSC, so I just hope weather cooperates for GSC. Thanks for your review!

That's it exactly! We felt like the ship was perfect for us, and so did the partiers! I will cross my fingers for good weather for you for GSC!

I hope you have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on several cruises and read bad things about all of them, I never pay attention to a bad review. In my opinion the people who write bad reviews would not be happy if they washed the sheets, made their own beds, cleaned their bathrooms, cooked their own food and served it. Some people complain regardless, and I have run into a few of them in my travels. I have always enjoyed the cruises I have taken, why, because I wanted to enjoy myself, thats the whole purpose of taking a cruise. Some people are miserable and want everyone else to be miserable with them. I feel sorry for them but I won't let them influence my happiness.

Just my thoughts on the bad reviews.

I will be back on the sky for the second time in Oct. I am so looking forward to having a wonderful time once again :)

My daughter and I live over 6000 miles apart - our time together is precious - and this year - it so happens we have not seen one another since January.

In a couple of months husband and I are taking a luxurious two weeks on a Celebrity ship - all the trimmings and high end spa cabin.

The day we disembark in FL - I am to grab a cab - fastcar it to Miami - where our daughter will be waiting..

She and I are then immediately boarding Sky for 4 days Bahamas.

I know which of the cruises I am most excited about! :D

Mitsugirly - my daughter and I both read your reviews - love them! We are both joking now about that shower curtain ;)

PS - on that subject of my (quoting Mitsugirly here!) Back to Belly Cruise- any idea of what is the latest time I need to be in Miami for?

I am a teency bit concerned customs might hold me up in Fort Lauderdale coming off the TA cruise with Celebrity?

I should be fine though huh? Its only about 45 minutes to Miami from Fort Lauderdale yeah?

My daughter and her husband were on POA this year - she loves that SKY apparently still has a touch of Hawaii on her!

Our very first cruise was a 16 night Boston to Miami on Norwegian Dream many many years ago - it was a dream indeed - what a cruise - what a route it was spectacular and have never seen anything like it since. The Dream to us was incredible at the time. Our first ship ever. We made friends on that cruise who to this day are still our beloved friends. We have cruised together, and they attended our daughters wedding..

THAT is what makes cruising special ..

We cruise on many lines - and seldom have a bad cruise. Apart from British cruising which we refuse to do now - P&O is the only line we have been jumping for joy at the end of the cruise. We take a last minute Costa ship in Europe - and love the multiple nationalities - its crazy and fun.

A cruise is what you make of it.

We loved Epic - last year DD and her husband brought Epic to Europe - we took her back to Miami - fantastic ship - Might have to bring her back again in 2016 when she returns to Caribbean waters.

We cruise sometimes in suites, other times in cabins small and less "grand".

Glad to hear Sky is much loved - her colour scheme reminds me of Dream in places -

Great way to end my 14 night Celebrity Cruise huh??

Ticktockticktockticktockticktock :D

PS! OH and the icing on my back to belly cruise - when its all over - my babe is flying home with me for an extended vacation for her!!

One of our first cruises was the Skyward which made the Sky by cutting in half and extra rooms were added. We've been onSky several times times since and are onboard again in November for a wedding. Always a great time!

One of our first cruises was the Skyward which made the Sky by cutting in half and extra rooms were added. We've been onSky several times times since and are onboard again in November for a wedding. Always a great time!

:confused::confused::confused::confused: