All Aboard Time?

HALrunner

I scheduled an excursion-through Princess that returns to ship only 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

I assume this is ok?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Yes no problem with a ships tour.......

The Bridge is in contact with the Excursion Manager who keeps close track of tours and where they are at. Especially if they are coming back close to sailing time. ;)

Most ports, I've found you can really milk it and be last-minute by planning to be at least within a half mile of the ship when it gets within 30 minutes of all aboard time. That's last-minute overpriced souvenir shopping time. Often you can run into a crew member on the street. Just let them know your stateroom number. You're covered.

Until you find out it was a crew member for the Oosterdam.

Often you can run into a crew member on the street. Just let them know your stateroom number. You're covered.

I don't understand this statement. Are you trying to say that a room steward, waiter, deck hand or a crew member in a like position has any input regarding sailing time? I would not think this is accurate. Crew members on shore leave have different return times than passengers according to their department.

Well first, it doesn't matter much, so long as they're Princess. The gangway has ONE time they raise it. But second, they have Princess crew out there for the express purpose of rounding up passengers. They know who's missing, and they know YOU are missing.

I scheduled an excursion-through Princess that returns to ship only 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

I assume this is ok?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Yes, we were on Cozumel last year and took the ferry to the mainland to go to Maya ruins on a ship's tour. Do to some delays and traffic, we made it back to Cozumel about one hour after spillway time. But, the ship was waiting.

Of course when we got there there were no cold towels -just security personnel urging us onto the ship.....

Yes, we were on Cozumel last year and took the ferry to the mainland to go to Maya ruins on a ship's tour. Do to some delays and traffic, we made it back to Cozumel about one hour after spillway time. But, the ship was waiting.

Of course when we got there there were no cold towels -just security personnel urging us onto the ship.....

At least it was a ship sponsored tour. I think anytime one is on an excursion that takes them an hour, or more, away from the ship, hopefully they are on a ship's excursion and not a private one.

Well first, it doesn't matter much, so long as they're Princess. The gangway has ONE time they raise it. But second, they have Princess crew out there for the express purpose of rounding up passengers. They know who's missing, and they know YOU are missing.

Usually two gangways, sometimes passengers can use both, sometimes one is for passengers and one for crew. Sometime the passenger gangway is removed and late arrivals must enter via the crew gangway.

The ship does know who is missing by scanning of the cruise card. This is why there are normally on board announcements looking for certain passengers. The Captain will only wait so long for passengers that are not on a Princess tour to return. How long he will wait depends on lots of navigational and cost factors. Late arrivers do get left standing on the pier, I have personally seen it happen.

My suggestion is never cut it too close, always allow yourself enough time, don't depend on the ship's staff delaying any sailing time. Arrive at or before the time that was posted.

The one time we weren't back on time was when we were on a Princess-booked tour. The guide told us he was keeping in touch with the ship. When we were getting back on the ship, crew members were waiting to bring up the gangway

We like to get back an hour before sailaway as we would more likely have less of a security line to go through, compared to when the last minute types arrive. That way, we have time to get back to the cabin, drop off purchases or things, and then head for the open deck to watch the ship leave the port. And no rushing about.:)

I just wouldn't trust telling a crew member because he or she might be so busy when getting back on board that any requests from passengers might be forgotten. And it seems a bit selfish to be putting it on a crew member to try to save your butt when you know when you're supposed to be back on the ship.

On my first cruise I had taken a ship's excursion up to the summit of Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii. The guide/driver suddenly realized we should have left for the ship 30 minutes ago:eek: he gathered everyone and off we went, driving like a bat out of hell, for the ship. When we arrived we discovered our excursion was the last one back and that as soon as we boarded the gang plank was pulled and off we went for Fanning Island. I was very grateful it was a ship's tour.:rolleyes:

I don't know if that guide/driver was still employed by the tour company. Guess it would have depended on whether that was a one-time thing or multiple.

Edited by Treven

Curacao sounds like a different port than I've ever been--sniffing dogs when you get off, and an unpredictable bridge when you get on? In any event, if you you are late boarding, the lines are very short. You just don't want to be last. :). I have come close before.