Concerned About Port Time Changes

Ilovesailing

I can drink anywhere. I can't snorkel with sea turtles anywhere. Wow

At St. Thomas we snorkeled with turtles and at a shipwreck site, and were back on the ship before noon. That was doing a ship excursion when we docked at 8:00am. We also enjoyed our UBP we had purchased.

You make a good point, as somebody that is only been on two cruises and I'm going on my third in November what is something that is on a Caribbean island that you cannot see or do through a ship excursion?

In 24 cruises, I've only ever done two official ship excursions - and that was the same excursion on two different cruises, which we did because it was the only way at the time to get to a private island (Isla de Pasion, Cozumel) for cruise passengers.

If you're only doing ship excursions, you are really missing out. You're only seeing the smallest fraction of these destinations through an extremely narrow, distorted lens.

A ship excursion is comparable to eating at a McDonald's in a place you've never visited. It's easy, familiar, and you generally know what to expect. Yes, it'll probably be mostly fine, and you probably won't leave hungry. But all around you are incredible restaurants where the food and experience would be far superior and unique – the kinds of places you’d be raving about to friends and family for the rest of your life - if only you had been willing and able to try something new when you had the chance.

Think you at least got a good deal eating at McDonald's instead of going somewhere else? In a real McDonald's, that might be the case. McDonald’s is cheap. But ship excursions are notorious for being far more expensive (the cruise lines mark up the rates so they get their cut; it’s just business) than doing the same or similar tours or experiences on your own. For example, see some kind of “beach break” excursion listed? Say the cruise line is offering it for $100. But on your own, you could probably go and have the exact same (or better!) experience for $30. And if that beach break excursion is listed as three hours, you could probably stay for six hours if you did it on your own. So you’d be spending less money but getting more time there. Win-win.

Beyond that, instead of wasting so much time at the ship or pier meeting the excursion group, taking roll, and getting herded into a bus with 50 people, you could have immediately gotten off the ship and gone to that beach with only those you’re traveling with. Similarly, if you’re on a tour, why spend the whole day on that bus with 50 people when you could be on a private tour with just a few people instead? At each stop, you’re getting out and taking pictures just with your friends and family, not with an additional 50 people that you’re waiting for to get on and off the bus at each photo stop. Again, that private tour will likely cost you far less than what you’d pay the cruise line, you’ll have more time to do it, and you’ll have more freedom and personal space to enjoy the experience without being herded around all day on the strict, limited timetable of the ship excursion.

In my examples above, I’ve just been talking about the advantages of doing the exact same tours/activities on your own instead of through an excursion. But the best thing about doing “excursions” on your own is that you can find so many more (and better!) things to do at these incredible destinations than the few things that are offered through the ship. Remember that example “beach break” excursion? Why spend the day on the beach with busloads of people from the ship(s) when, if you’ve done your research, you can find another better beach five minutes away in the opposite direction where you can spend the entire day and have it relatively to yourself? Or on a tour, private tour guides usually go out of their way to avoid the crowds of the cruise tours. They’ll make an effort to get to popular sites before the crowds, so you can enjoy that attraction, landmark, or scenic overlook with just a few people instead of dozens or hundreds. And private tours are also able to go more off the beaten path, taking you to destinations that the big cruise excursion groups can’t go to.

I will admit that the one big perk of doing a ship excursion is that you’re guaranteed not to miss the ship when it departs. But unless you really have trouble planning, organizing, and managing your time, it really should not be a problem to get back to the ship on time by yourself.

So yes, ship excursions may be the quickest and easiest way to do something at a port. But with the limitless resources of the internet, anyone can research a destination and find countless options of things to do and see without needing to be dependent on the restrictive, over-priced options that the cruise lines offer. And for those who can’t or won’t spend the time or effort in advance to find the best way to have the best experience in port, then I kind of think they deserve to spend too much money, be herded around all day, stuck in the crowds, and not having any idea what else they’re missing out on.

One final thought, related to the (hopefully accidental) schedule changes. If you've ever been to St. John, then you'd immediately understand why people would get so worked up over losing even one hour there. If you haven't been to St. John yet, then make an effort to go... just don't do it through a lousy, overpriced ship excursion. :D

Thats a good thing, well be booking for February. I really hope the times in Bermuda don't change for next June.

I also received an email from NCL

Dear Mr.......

We are in receipt of the communication you sent to us regarding time changes in the port. There are many variables involved with changing port times. A letter is being sent to all the guest affected by the change.

We are sorry to learn that this has affected your vacation and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation destination.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Tanon

Passenger Services

I haven't gotten a letter yet and we leave in 17 days on the Breakaway.

Beyond that, instead of wasting so much time at the ship or pier meeting the excursion group, taking roll, and getting herded into a bus with 50 people, you could have immediately gotten off the ship and gone to that beach with only those you’re traveling with. Similarly, if you’re on a tour, why spend the whole day on that bus with 50 people when you could be on a private tour with just a few people instead? At each stop, you’re getting out and taking pictures just with your friends and family, not with an additional 50 people that you’re waiting for to get on and off the bus at each photo stop. Again, that private tour will likely cost you far less than what you’d pay the cruise line, you’ll have more time to do it, and you’ll have more freedom and personal space to enjoy the experience without being herded around all day on the strict, limited timetable of the ship excursion.

This describes the NCL excursion to the crystal and fantasy caves exactly. First time to Bermuda, I went with other family members who did that excursion through NCL. (I did a glass bottom boat that I procured myself. Bermuda has excursions and transportation that can be purchased at the dockyard.) They went in a van with a bunch of other passengers from the ship. They got stuck at the caves because two people got separated from the group went off to do goodness knows what.

Next time I went to Bermuda, I planned the day myself. It cost about 1/3rd and we got to see St. John, the caves, the Aquarium and some of Hamilton. We were on our own schedule and did things we were interested in and for as long as we wanted.

Unfortunately when port times are short or have odd times, it severely limits your options. I'm looking at a cruise on NCL to San Juan and thought about doing a food tour. There are two highly rated companies that offer a tour that cost less than NCL, but neither are available during the oddball port times the ship is there. I don't know if the NCL one is good since there aren't many reviews either way.

I got a response today from an email I sent Monday night in regards to my October Bermuda cruise being shortened from 3 pm from the original 5 pm leave time. So where is this "official" letter they speak of? Taking their sweet time to get their act together.

-------

Dear Mrs. :

We are in receipt of the communication you sent to us regarding time changes in the port. There are many variables involved with changing port times. A letter is being sent to all the guest affected by the change.

We are sorry to learn that this has affected your vacation and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation destination

Sincerely,

Kathryn Tanon

Passenger Services

I got a response today from an email I sent Monday night in regards to my October Bermuda cruise being shortened from 3 pm from the original 5 pm leave time. So where is this "official" letter they speak of? Taking their sweet time to get their act together.

-------

Dear Mrs. :

We are sorry to learn that this has affected your vacation and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation destination

Sincerely,

Kathryn Tanon

Passenger Services

Same stock email we are all getting.. read it carefully and it doesn't really say much at all. But at least it's an acknowledgment.

When they say letter, do they mean an on paper, envelope, stamp and postal carrier? That seems very peculiar to me.

Everything about NCL's communication lately has been ambiguous. From DSC questions to SDP T&Cs to port times, we have no idea what we are buying when we book our cruise.

-------

Dear Mrs. :

Sincerely,

Kathryn Tanon

Passenger Services

Just made my final payment for my October cruise to Bermuda. I am really getting pissed off with all these changes. Yes they are small changes here and there but they add up to a lot. Especially in such a short period of time.

& I have not received one email from NCL explaining any changes, other than the raise of the DSC back in March. No other communications from the AT ALL!!! I find everything out on CC then go to the NCL website to see the changes made. Such a disappointment.

Yep- the only reason I got an email is because I sent NCL an email but only because folks on CC had email addresses!

I just made final payment a few weeks ago too through my TA. I mentioned in my email that I was considering a 12 day Southern Caribbean and that this has left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess they are reeling in so much $$$ that don't care about established customer base. I know it's only 2 hours difference, but they could offer something to their affected customers. A little goes a long way.

Edited by TardisDance

happytrailsandsails: when is your POA trip? we go mid august. will check on changes!!

Hi, Retiring cajun. I saw a post from another passenger saying the Kauai itinerary was changing as of July 17. My cruise isn't til next June, but soneone with a cruise in December '17 also said their itinerary had changed, so it looks like a permanent thing as of now.

Enjoy your trip!

Just to give an update on this, about ten minutes ago I received an email from NCL with a pdf letter attached. Here is the content:

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Dawn's seven day Bermuda cruises sailing on October 16, 2015 and

October 23, 2015. Guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their

clients.

We have made a change to the ship's itinerary and she will now arrive at the Royal Naval Dockyard at 1:00pm. Please review the updated itinerary

information below:

Original Arrive Depart

Fri Boston, Massachusetts 4:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 11:00 am Overnight

Mon Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda Overnight

Tue Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 5:00 pm

Wed At Sea

Revised Arrive Depart

Fri Boston, Massachusetts 4:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 1:00 pm overnight

Mon Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda overnight

Tue Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 5:00 pm

Wed At Sea

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Bermuda on the day of arrival the departure times will be adjusted accordingly. If

you have any questions regarding shore excursions, please visit our website at http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at

1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8am to midnight ET and

Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you onboard Norwegian Dawn.

So it looks like no explanation for the change is forthcoming. Also, I couldn't copy the formatting, but this is all the text that was included.

In 24 cruises, I've only ever done two official ship excursions - and that was the same excursion on two different cruises, which we did because it was the only way at the time to get to a private island (Isla de Pasion, Cozumel) for cruise passengers.

If you're only doing ship excursions, you are really missing out. You're only seeing the smallest fraction of these destinations through an extremely narrow, distorted lens.

A ship excursion is comparable to eating at a McDonald's in a place you've never visited. It's easy, familiar, and you generally know what to expect. Yes, it'll probably be mostly fine, and you probably won't leave hungry. But all around you are incredible restaurants where the food and experience would be far superior and unique – the kinds of places you’d be raving about to friends and family for the rest of your life - if only you had been willing and able to try something new when you had the chance.

Think you at least got a good deal eating at McDonald's instead of going somewhere else? In a real McDonald's, that might be the case. McDonald’s is cheap. But ship excursions are notorious for being far more expensive (the cruise lines mark up the rates so they get their cut; it’s just business) than doing the same or similar tours or experiences on your own. For example, see some kind of “beach break” excursion listed? Say the cruise line is offering it for $100. But on your own, you could probably go and have the exact same (or better!) experience for $30. And if that beach break excursion is listed as three hours, you could probably stay for six hours if you did it on your own. So you’d be spending less money but getting more time there. Win-win.

In my examples above, I’ve just been talking about the advantages of doing the exact same tours/activities on your own instead of through an excursion. But the best thing about doing “excursions” on your own is that you can find so many more (and better!) things to do at these incredible destinations than the few things that are offered through the ship. Remember that example “beach break” excursion? Why spend the day on the beach with busloads of people from the ship(s) when, if you’ve done your research, you can find another better beach five minutes away in the opposite direction where you can spend the entire day and have it relatively to yourself? Or on a tour, private tour guides usually go out of their way to avoid the crowds of the cruise tours. They’ll make an effort to get to popular sites before the crowds, so you can enjoy that attraction, landmark, or scenic overlook with just a few people instead of dozens or hundreds. And private tours are also able to go more off the beaten path, taking you to destinations that the big cruise excursion groups can’t go to.

I will admit that the one big perk of doing a ship excursion is that you’re guaranteed not to miss the ship when it departs. But unless you really have trouble planning, organizing, and managing your time, it really should not be a problem to get back to the ship on time by yourself.

So yes, ship excursions may be the quickest and easiest way to do something at a port. But with the limitless resources of the internet, anyone can research a destination and find countless options of things to do and see without needing to be dependent on the restrictive, over-priced options that the cruise lines offer. And for those who can’t or won’t spend the time or effort in advance to find the best way to have the best experience in port, then I kind of think they deserve to spend too much money, be herded around all day, stuck in the crowds, and not having any idea what else they’re missing out on.

One final thought, related to the (hopefully accidental) schedule changes. If you've ever been to St. John, then you'd immediately understand why people would get so worked up over losing even one hour there. If you haven't been to St. John yet, then make an effort to go... just don't do it through a lousy, overpriced ship excursion. :D

This is great advice!! Thanks for posting:-)

My travel agent just sent me the PDF with this email. Apparently NCL didn't email me directly, but waned him to. I don't mind since I booked through him but NCL emails me directly with promotions non stop, you would think something important would be emailed to me directly.

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Breakaway's seven day Bermuda cruises from September 27, 2015 to

October 18, 2015. Guest booked on these sailing needs to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their

clients.

We have made a change to the ship's itinerary and she will now depart the Royal Naval Dockyard at 3:00pm. Please review the updated itinerary

information below:

Original Arrive Depart

Sun New York City, New York 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Wed Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 9:00 am overnight

Thu Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda overnight

Fri Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun New York City, New York 8:00 am

Revised Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Fri Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 3:00 pm

Sat At Sea

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Bermuda on the day of departure from Bermuda, the departure times will be

adjusted accordingly. If you have any questions regarding shore excursions, please visit our website at http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore

excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8am to midnight ET and

Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you onboard Norwegian Breakaway.

From those two letters - the Dawn and Breakaway - it sounds like they only affect specific cruises in Sept and Oct - at most two for the Dawn and four for the Breakaway.

It is either a trial run to see if any fuel is saved :D

or there are other things affecting the wharfs in Bermuda - perhaps some maintenance work.

But from those two letters, the change is not permanent.

Dear Mrs. :

Sincerely,

Kathryn Tanon

Passenger Services

Got the same letter.

Harriet

My travel agent just sent me the PDF with this email. Apparently NCL didn't email me directly, but waned him to. I don't mind since I booked through him but NCL emails me directly with promotions non stop, you would think something important would be emailed to me directly.

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Breakaway's seven day Bermuda cruises from September 27, 2015 to

October 18, 2015. Guest booked on these sailing needs to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their

clients.

We have made a change to the ship's itinerary and she will now depart the Royal Naval Dockyard at 3:00pm. Please review the updated itinerary

information below:

Original Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Fri Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Revised Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Fri Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 3:00 pm

Sat At Sea

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Bermuda on the day of departure from Bermuda, the departure times will be

adjusted accordingly. If you have any questions regarding shore excursions, please visit our website at http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore

excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you onboard Norwegian Breakaway.

If you booked through a TA any communication regarding that booking goes through the TA. Standard procedure.

From those two letters - the Dawn and Breakaway - it sounds like they only affect specific cruises in Sept and Oct - at most two for the Dawn and four for the Breakaway.

It is either a trial run to see if any fuel is saved :D

or there are other things affecting the wharfs in Bermuda - perhaps some maintenance work.

But from those two letters, the change is not permanent.

We sail the Dawn tomorrow and just today I noticed that online my itinerary was changed from 11 am to 1 pm. I didn't receive any notice of the change and only looked because of this thread. It definitely is frustrating!

I think they only notified people who wrote to them about it. So not the way to run a company.I really do feel bad for those who booked an excursion and now have to scramble to work it out. Or those who will not find out till they get on the ship. In my letter to them I said to please inform everyone so they can plan accordingly.

I think they only notified people who wrote to them about it. So not the way to run a company.I really do feel bad for those who booked an excursion and now have to scramble to work it out. Or those who will not find out till they get on the ship. In my letter to them I said to please inform everyone so they can plan accordingly.

Right. I don't see how it would be difficult to send out a blast email to everyone who's on those sailings, given that they have no problem emailing us for promotions (not to mention to provide us our cruise docs). I'm still waiting for an email (or some notification) of the increased DSC. Our DSC is included as a promo, but you'd think it would be easier to just send everyone the notice and let us decide whether it impacts us or not. Further, given that we can still cancel/rebook should a "better" promo come along, it would be nice to have all the facts which may impact such a decision.