NO Excursion, but pleanty of pay for dining options

twoznuff2

Our port time has changed in Victoria on our September 5th sailing on the Jewel from 2:30pm - 9:30 pm to 5:00pm - 11:59pm. There used to be excursion listed; the gardens, whale watching etc.. NOW the only things listed under the plan section for my trip in Victoria are the pay dining options.:confused: I wouldn't pay NCL a dime to eat at a pay restaurant now.

Our port time has changed in Victoria on our September 5th sailing on the Jewel from 2:30pm - 9:30 pm to 5:00pm - 11:59pm. There used to be excursion listed; the gardens, whale watching etc.. NOW the only things listed under the plan section for my trip in Victoria are the pay dining options.:confused: I wouldn't pay NCL a dime to eat at a pay restaurant now.

Hey the shareholders, which I am not, and the cheerleaders are still happy.:)

Bill

Perhaps NCL is forgetting that people do not cruise just for the ship itself but also equally, if not more so, to see and experience the ports. They are making it difficult to accomplish this. We have already had 2 time changes to ports ( and probably a 3rd coming ) which has significantly altered our tour plans.

I hope you can work out Victoria Gardens. It is stunning. Have never seen anything like it. There are buses which run from the downtown area in front of the huge old hotel, the name escapes me. You just walk up and get your tickets. It seems to me that they did have evening tours as well and the garden would be equally stunning at dusk or lit for the evening. There is a restaurant there. If the bus timing does not work out, a taxi might be with the money.

There are lots of restaurants and pubs in the downtown area you could take advantage of rather than eating and drinking on the ship. I would not return until 11:30.

Edited by punkincc

This is not uncommon for that port. I sailed to Alaska on HAL a few years back, and we had similar port times in Victoria. I understand your frustration - I didn't much like it either - but it is not a problem unique to NCL.

I stayed on the ship in Victoria because my daughter was younger at that time, but I do remember there being excursions available. Maybe NCL just needs a day or 2 to adjust for the time changes on their website. Perhaps you should call and ask what they intend to do about excursions for that port. Good luck, and hope you are still able to enjoy Victoria.

I was just on the Pearl for the 6/21 Alaska sailing. Our port time in Victoria was 6 PM until Midnight. There we a bunch of excursions available - many to the gardens.

I'm sure that something will pop back up online as far as the excursions are concerned. They always have plenty of choices!

You can always call NCL directly and ask them about the excursions. Victoria is really beautiful. We had a very enjoyable evening there!

Happy cruising!!!

That would be The Empress... (aka The Fairmont Empress).

Best Manhattan you will ever have... :)

Ah, yes the Empress. If we had only known about the Manhattans, we might still have yet to see Butchart Gardens;).

I'm not sure why the change. The ship is coming a long way down from Skagway so maybe the ship need extra time to cruise the inside passage. Most ships that do stop in Victoria arrived very late in the afternoon so 5-11PM is not uncommon. However, maybe NCL hasn't loaded any revised shore tours in the system yet. So, I'd keep checking back to see if anything comes up. Cruise line make a lot of revenue selling tours so I highly doubt NCL won't offer anything in Victoria. Just be patient.

yep. I sail Aug. first and saw all are gone. Now we are not even sure we would be getting off the shop there for sure and had nothing planned...though I would like to go to the gardens...but now with the time being so late...I wonder how much light will be there for me to enjoy it.

yep. I sail Aug. first and saw all are gone. Now we are not even sure we would be getting off the shop there for sure and had nothing planned...though I would like to go to the gardens...but now with the time being so late...I wonder how much light will be there for me to enjoy it.

The gardens are fully lit at night and are beautiful!!!

Most likely NCL has just not yet updated their website with the excursions that start in the early evening. Sometimes this happens, but if you will just check back in a couple of days things will eventually get updated. However, if all you want to do is go to Butchart Gardens, you don't need an excursion. Take a taxi and make a reservation with your driver to pick you up at a specific time to go back to the ship.

It will get dark around 10:30 - 11:00 the first part of August.