Balconies on the Royal.

mdmc

Sailing on the Royal to the Mediterrian. Are the balconies on the Caribe deck bigger like the other ship? We booked a mini suite on the Baja deck but can move if the balconies are bigger n the Caribe.

No. The port and starboard balconies on the Caribe deck are exactly the same size as on the decks above and below them.

However, if you check the deck plans, you can see that some balconies on Caribe are a little bigger than others. Same is true for the cabins above and below those cabins.

Sailing on the Royal to the Mediterranean. Are the balconies on the Caribe deck bigger like the other ship? We booked a mini suite on the Baja deck but can move if the balconies are bigger n the Caribe.

As posted, no. The Royal has a different design than grand class ships. Approximately 90% of the cabins have balconies that are 9' x a little smaller than 4' deep. Examine the deck plans.

Standard balconies on the Royal feel like you are sitting in a matchbox compared to older Princess ships. I enjoy sitting on the balcony and reading on sea days or late at night on most ships. Did not on the Royal. One of many reasons I prefer the older ships.

If you've booked a mid-ship minisuite on Baja, you may have one of the larger angled balconies. What is your cabin number? I love the mini-suites on the Royal/Regal and would not give up the extra space especially since most of the balconies are the same size. There are some balcony cabins with larger balconies on Emerald deck near the front of the ship but they are "obstructed" meaning they have a solid metal rail rather than the typical glass rail.

The decks are not arranged with all one style of cabin and balcony on one deck. The caribe deck does have large balconies mid ship. You can find these balconies on all decks mid ship. There are also balconies forward facing that can match a caribe deck size on the older Princess ships and more on the aft facing decks.

The deck plans will tell you where these are located.:D My review of the Regal below has some pics.

I recently posted a response (with visual aids) to a similar question about the few cabins with larger balconies on the Regal Princess which is - with respect to this issue - virtually identical to the Royal.

I believe there should be some usefful information in that post, which you can find here:

Larger Balcony cabins on Regal and Royal

If it doesn't go directly to my post, just scroll down a little until you see a big blown-up close up picture of the mid-ships deck plans with some arrows. :)

Hope that helps.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did look and it appears that the bigger balconies are mid ship. We are slightly aft so it looks like a regular size balcony for us. The balconies directly below us on Caribe deck are the same. I am sure what we have now will be fine. I don't want to pay more for a bigger balcony. Thanks again.

We booked our first ever suite on Princess, a penthouse suite on the Royal.

Are the balconies really so bad? From the pictures I have seen, the balcony for our cabin is long and narrow. We always book a balcony cabin, and really enjoy using it. I hope we are not very disappointed in this one.

marge