Fire on Freedom?

I'm on the ship...stuck on Studio B mow. They've let everyone come back in from the Muster stations but we aren't allowed to roam around. You can smell the smoke throughout the ship. The captain keeps saying the fire is extinguished but they've been looking for 3-5 guests now for 2 hrs... Say we can be released until they are accounted for.

We were pulling into dock when we had to go to muster stations with life jackets. There were 3-4 fire trucks on the dock waiting on us.

Glad all is under control and things are safe. My big fear is staying in port to access damage and missing Grand Cayman. I understand things happen but we will be heartbroken. We booked this trip and have a private charter for Stingray City for my daughters birthday.

I hope you can go to GC! That is my favorite place as well, and I'd also be heartbroken. Saying a prayer for you guys!

So, anyone shorting the stock or looking forward to discounts when people start cancelling future cruises? Or, will this not make the headlines enough to matter?

This will make the headlines, but I don't know if it will result in discounted cruise rates. Based on prior experience on dealing with a ship's fire (CCL Splendor Nov. 2010), the ship was out of commission for several months and nothing was discounted when she started sailing again.

Also, the fire happened on Monday, we were notified by CCL on Wednesday that our cruise the following Saturday was cancelled (and many more after us).

For those scheduled on upcoming voyages, I would have a plan B in place, based on my experience. After I was notified on Wednesday, I was able to secure a spot on a different ship within 4 hours leaving on Sunday. However, those that waited 24 hours to try to make arrangements found all berths on all ships sold out.

Some are reporting that the fire was in the engine room but images from a Falmouth News site show flames emerging from the area where the smoke stack meets the top of deck 15.

freedom-of-the-seas-fire-falmouth-2.jpg

Maybe fire being vented out of the engine room? /shrugs

Happy to hear everyone is safe and sound.:) hope the crew member is doing well.

30+ ft. waves on one cruise didn't scare me but the smell of smoke and hearing "bravo, bravo, bravo" on another sure did.:eek:

On a related note, I wonder what sort of fire suppression system they use. Straight water, foam, mist, CO2 or some other form of gas.

According to royalcaribbean.com, the primary fire suppression system converts water to a mist and in galleys and engine spaces a combination of CO2 and mist is used.

Was the Star Princess the incident where a cigarette was assumed to be the cause, but nothing could be confirmed?

Hopefully things (repairs) can be managed without a dry-dock. We were booked on the 8/9 sailing, but switched to the (Carnival) Sunshine a couple of weeks ago.

Tom

Tom - Yes, it was suspected a combination of a poorly disposed cigarette butt flipped over the side of the ship while moving got sucked into another balcony which may or may not have had towels on it or other items and it caught them up and melted the balconies off the starboard side of the ship.

This one seems to be a lot more minor than that one but both ships ended up in Jamaica after the fires. Just the landing spot immediately brought to mind the Star Princess although these two incidents are completely unrelated.

Anyone know(from experience or prior knowledge) what the chances are of this Sunday's sailing being cancelled? My son and his new bride will be on their honeymoon! Aaaagh!! Don't want them to panic if there's no reason to.......

Edited by Momofshan

You might want to go to RCCL website and put a courtesy hold on another cruise sailing the same date just in case. Its free so cant hurt :D

Couldn't agree more. IMHO, we will find that RCCL is going to off load passengers in Jamaica and fly them back to Florida. The fire will need to be investigated and I'm pretty sure they will not move the ship until a full investigation has been done.

Anyone know(from experience or prior knowledge) what the chances are of this Sunday's sailing being cancelled? My son and his new bride will be on their honeymoon! Aaaagh!! Don't want them to panic if there's no reason to.......

It is really just too early to know anything. You might want to do some checking into other cruises leaving on Sunday.

Just being a realist but there must be smoke and water damage not to mention possible engine damage from the fire itself. Not a betting man but I would say a better than 50% chance she goes in to dry dock for repairs right away.

Unless it's a 3 night, looks like everything else is already booked.

There's always the Carnival Sunshine as well. It's actually a nice ship!

Nope... it's booked this weekend. They do have very limited openings for their 7/31 8-night sailing. Just FYI..

I agree - a 24 hour hold is an excellent idea at this point! Assuming that they do that for sailings right around the corner.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Unless it's a 3 night, looks like everything else is already booked.

Unfortunately, this time of year there aren't a lot of Caribbean options, especially for last minute travel. I took a quick look around, and the Carnival Breeze (Miami) and the Carnival Dream (New Orleans) are the only ships showing any availability for this Sunday.

Edited by Cindy

Anyone know(from experience or prior knowledge) what the chances are of this Sunday's sailing being cancelled? My son and his new bride will be on their honeymoon! Aaaagh!! Don't want them to panic if there's no reason to.......[/quote

If they got cruise insurance they are ok. Just get on line now and look for another cruise leaving the same date or a day later. Any cruise line is better than no cruise. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

We are not sailing on freedom until Oct 25th. Hopefully if any repairs and or dry dock is required, they should be completed by then. We are marrying onboard with 25 guests, that wont be easy to re-arrange onto another sailing...

Glad everyone, both passengers and crew are OK. It's fortunate that this happened as they were just pulling into port.

As far the missing passengers are concerned regarding the muster check in, that's why it's so important that everyone attend the muster drill when you first board, no matter how many cruises one's been on. I know that it's impossible with the mega ships nowadays, but the tightest muster drill we've done was our one and only cruise on NCL. At your muster station, roll call was taken. Heaven help you if you didn't answer or you joked around when your name was called. The officer doing the roll call guilted you and made you feel real small. It's a far cry from the drills nowadays.

We're on the ship too. Sitting in Margaritaville having a beverage and food. There was no lunch service, they were giving out sandwiches and pizza. We are leaving just one hour later tonight to give people more time on their excursions. The crew was great and the captain was communicating the entire time. Any questions, let me know!

We're on the ship too. Sitting in Margaritaville having a beverage and food. There was no lunch service, they were giving out sandwiches and pizza. We are leaving just one hour later tonight to give people more time on their excursions. The crew was great and the captain was communicating the entire time. Any questions, let me know!

WOW, I'm surprised that they are continuing the cruise. I'm very happy for you and all of the guests, just surprised.