Avalon vs Viking

83tonio

On our 2013 cruise, we docked very close to the Eiffel Tower. That is where you want to be so you can enjoy Paris. It has been reported that the Viking longship, Rinda is docking outside of Paris in Le Pecq.

This results in bus rides to and from the ship. Next year Viking lists the ships on this itinerary as two longships. Will both longships dock outside Paris?

We are looking at the Avalon Paris to Normandy next year. We've had several Viking cruises and were very happy with 5 of 7. We spoke with them a couple of days ago and won't consider them for another cruise out of Paris because of the new docking location outside of Paris. They told us that it was for all the 2016 cruises as well. We loved docking within sight of the Eiffel Tower on our previous cruise there.

We did Paris to Normandy Beaches with Avalon this summer...outstanding. :)

Avalon's Panorama balcony wins hands down.

The included and the optional tours were all excellent. I can't imagine what other tours you would be looking for over what Avalon offers on that itinerary. Among my favorite tours were Monet's Gardens, the Palace of Versailles, and the town of Honfleur.

It was great to sail all the way to lovely Caudebec, and be a lot closer to the Normandy Landing Beaches.

• 4 months later...

We've made over 6 cruises with Viking with only 1 major problem (for us on a new ship not quite ready for prime time). We'll be making our first Avalon voyage this year and we can't wait to see what our impressions are.

Just as an FYI IMO - The Paris docking location is a big deal for some (it is for us) and that's in favor of Avalon. One convenience we've found with Viking is the ability to board much earlier than with Avalon. You can go on Viking mid-day, have a light lunch and relax in the lounge till cabins are ready. This is great for jet lag. With Avalon we'll have to check out of our hotel by 11am and can't board the ship til at least 3pm by Avalon's policy. Same with disembarking - Viking needs you out of the cabin but you can stay on board longer if you're waiting for a later plane or train. We consider this a real plus for Viking.

We did Viking's Normandy cruise in October and had a great cruise. You can find my blog of the trip on this thread.

One thing you may want to consider, is spending extra time in Paris if you haven't been there before. The savings on Viking may cover that added cost.

In either case, you will have a great experience.

We took the Avalon cruise down the Rhine river and were very happy. However, we booked a cruise via Viking and this is what happened?

We were notified by email the afternoon before we were to leave for our Viking cruise and pre and post stay that the boat was in dry dock and the entire trip canceled. We had purchased everything from Viking - air, hotels, transfers, insurance. They canceled everything! No option to not cancel the airfare and hotels, no call - just one email notification that arrived the afternoon before we were to leave the next morning. That was bad enough but the lack of customer service was stunning. The wait time to call in was long, the answers were simply you will receive a refund in the next 7 to 10 days. We wanted to take the trip without the cruise portion - planning a 2 week vacation is really tough when you work. The would not let us keep the airfare for which we had already paid or the room reservations. We went to France any way and had a marvelous time, but will never ever do business with Viking again. There was a post on Viking's Facebook page that the trip before ours had issues with the boat and they got bussed to a nearby town and boarded at a less than desirable hotel. There is a review on this site that the same cruise trip was tremendously impacted by the heat wave and the air conditioning was woefully inadequate and condition were less than acceptable. I can't verify their stories, but I can assure you Viking was terrible with us and not at all helpful. Watch out for their cancellation polices. We will NEVER use Viking again and suggest that everyone else avoids them!!

Why anyone would ever choose to book with Viking is beyond me. I know they will never be on our radar.

Your story is appalling but unfortunately it is not unusual to read things like this about how Viking treats their clients. Their FB page is an eye opener, if you can catch what people post before Viking removes them.

While Avalon is not our personal favorite, it is VERY rare to read customer service complaints about the company.

Whatever Viking has going for it is IMO grossly overshadowed by their woeful customer service.

Edited by caviargal

I totally 150% agree with Caviargal's opinion regarding Viking! Anyone who has been on these Cruise Critic Boards long enough has had ample opportunity to read the reviews and many unfortunate stories from past Viking passengers of their river cruise vacation disappointments.

Yes, there are many who like Viking and have had no issues when all is well with water levels. Just remember the flip side of having to deal with poor customer service and communication from Viking when there are problems. There are many, read their FB pages and these boards. Don't say you were not warned.

Avalon may not be for everyone but we have had 4 and soon to be 5 high quality cruises with Avalon and their customer service never fails. The Panorama suites are excellent and they strive to always keep you aware of any potential issues to impact your trip.

I think anyone who has only cruised Viking will be pleasantly surprised at the very different River cruising experience you will have with Avalon or AMA.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are many who like Viking and have had no issues when all is well with water levels. Just remember the flip side of having to deal with poor customer service and communication from Viking when there are problems.

I think anyone who has only cruised Viking will be pleasantly surprised at the very different River cruising experience you will have with Avalon or AMA.

Actually, I have cruised Viking - and Avalon, and AMA - and would happily cruise with any of them again. We have had our issues with Viking - but felt they were eventually ironed out.

We look at itinerary, then dates - then prices. Sometimes Viking wins, sometimes it doesn't - even with the pay-in-full date so far out.

We don't book a suite, so can't comment on the Panorama suites that Avalon has. But, traveling Aquarium class, we have been quite happy with the accommodations on our Viking cruises.

This is quite an old thread - but my advice would be the same to anyone asking this question. Look at everything - price, dates, inclusions, stops etc. If there is something that is really important to you, then let that be your guide. If the risk of water issues - and how it is dealt with - is the major issue, then perhaps river cruising isn't the best choice for your travel plans.

Still lots of people here who continue to post why they would never sail on Viking (and make judgements on those who do...) without ever having sailed with them. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion - but it doesn't (IMHO) help much if you are making suggestions or comments based on other people's posts or experiences. I can see it if this thread held a Pollyanna view of Viking - and you posted just to suggest that people take a closer look - but many here continue to comment on why they wouldn't book Viking, instead of saying why they would book Avalon.

Fran

Edited by franski

Actually, I have cruised Viking - and Avalon, and AMA - and would happily cruise with any of them again. We have had our issues with Viking - but felt they were eventually ironed out.

We look at itinerary, then dates - then prices. Sometimes Viking wins, sometimes it doesn't - even with the pay-in-full date so far out.

We don't book a suite, so can't comment on the Panorama suites that Avalon has. But, traveling Aquarium class, we have been quite happy with the accommodations on our Viking cruises.

This is quite an old thread - but my advice would be the same to anyone asking this question. Look at everything - price, dates, inclusions, stops etc. If there is something that is really important to you, then let that be your guide. If the risk of water issues - and how it is dealt with - is the major issue, then perhaps river cruising isn't the best choice for your travel plans.

Still lots of people here who continue to post why they would never sail on Viking (and make judgements on those who do...) without ever having sailed with them. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion - but it doesn't (IMHO) help much if you are making suggestions or comments based on other people's posts or experiences. I can see it if this thread held a Pollyanna view of Viking - and you posted just to suggest that people take a closer look - but many here continue to comment on why they wouldn't book Viking, instead of saying why they would book Avalon.

Fran

Very well said, Fran.

Still I say NEVER based on 3 yrs of reading CC and Viking FB page with disappearing nasty ugliness! The floods from a couple years ago & water issues this year on the Elbe in particular, Paris docking. Basically the complete failure to disclose river issues known for weeks if not longer and no matter how polite we try to be, the people (Viking) flat out LIED to cruisers trying to get info prior to departing their home countries. These are passengers in some cases who had CFAR travel insurance coverage and would have cancelled had they known their boat would never move.

Any company who thinks their current CS practices are to deceive and lie to passengers while charging 5 Star prices is eventually going to pay the piper.

I started this journey thinking to book with Viking until my research showed me differently.

I book and sailed with Avalon who provided a lovely trip. Was Avalon perfect, no but I can absolutely in good conscience tell people to sail with them they will have a wonderful experience. Will I sail with them again? maybe, maybe not because I would like to also try AMA and Uniworld. Price and itinerary also enters into the picture.

Last, while I have never sailed Viking, this last Sept during the low water I saw Viking every day. We Rafted next to longboats, walked thru longboats and spoke with many Viking cruisers. Even shared wine thru our Rafted Windows with the people in the Viking boat next to us. We got an eyeful, literally!

Ok, I admit it, if it was a FREE cruise I'm not stupid!

Disclosure: walking thru 6 plus Vikings longboats did show me that the boats & public areas are gorgeous! I understand from my research they do a fabulous job in China. Last, our regular Avalon cabin seemed enormous vs the fancy balcony cabins we saw while rafted. JMHO