Buying cruise insurance and airline tickets

GoneJohnson

Hello,

I am booked on a 21 day HAL Panama Canal cruise March 12, 2016.

I need to buy cruise insurance and it looks like airfares are going up so maybe it's time to buy tickets also. I'm flying from rural Montana so my flight choices are limited.

Last year I booked my cruise insurance with my travel agent.

This year I booked my cruise direct with Holland. The price quoted from Holland seemed expensive. I called the company I had last year and it was quoted cheaper... I need to review coverages to be sure it's a fair comparison. Any reason not to go with the lower priced coverage? other than does it cover my needs?

Any comments, suggestions, input or advice is much appreciated. I have only cruised twice this will be my 3rd. I am still learning all the tips and tricks to ease the process bot physically and financially.

I am in a power electric wheelchair if that makes any difference. other than a PIA.

Thanks,

I can only speak for my group, but we always look for "primary" insurance. this means if I have to visit the infirmary, I can send my bill directly to my travel insurance company, rather than having to deal with my personal health insurance. My travel agent recommended primary coverage and that's what we always do. I am sure there are more things that others consider, but this works for us. Bon Voyage!

The most important thing for us is to make sure we have adequate medical and medical evacuation coverage. For the evac we have MedJet's annual coverage.

Being seniors our primary insurance is Medicare which only has coverage withing the US. Our secondary does have coverage, and then I supplement that with a travel medical policy.

The most important thing for us is to make sure we have adequate medical and medical evacuation coverage. For the evac we have MedJet's annual coverage.

Being seniors our primary insurance is Medicare which only has coverage withing the US. Our secondary does have coverage, and then I supplement that with a travel medical policy.

I agree with these comments.

We don't really try to insure our trip, we basically want medical and medical evacuation coverage, since we are seniors.

In the past we have purchased coverage from our TA, who offerred coverage from Travel Guard. The Travel Guard coverage allowed for a small additional fee the option to double the medical and emergency evacuation coverage which I have always done in the past until last year. Last year, when I went to purchase similar coverage found the rate doubled, still purchased with TA. After wards I contacted Travel Guard myself, found they offered a business travel package that can be purchased on an "annual basis" which was a 1/3 less than what I paid for a 3 week trip policy.

So this year, I plan to purchase a annual package directly from an insurance company.

In the past when I was buying trip plans I based the price and time frame on my air fares vs cruise since I was not trying to cover my trip expenses. This way we had medical and emergency evacuation for the entire time we were traveling, both before, after and during a cruise. We always purchase our cruise and air separately.

There is a travel/cruise insurance board here which you might want to do some reading on for lots of information.

The consensus is that insurance through the cruise lines is expensive for what you get.

If you have health problems that cause you to need the chair, you might want to start reading up on pre-existing conditions and see if there is a way you could now purchase insurance with a pre-existing waiver. Usually that has to be purchased within a couple of weeks of the first payment on the cruise.

HAL's insurance is mostly if you need to cancel and you will get 90% of your cruise fare back if you buy the premium plan which is expensive. It has very little coverage should something happen to you and you need to be evacuated from the ship in a foreign port.

I don't know what kind of health insurance you have and if it covers you outside of your country. But we know that Medicare and private insurance will not cover us outside the US and thus we have to purchase other insurance.

I don't know when you booked but most policies have a 10-15 day pre-existing conditions clause and it seems that you might have problems that need this. Call insuremytrip dot com and ask some questions. Many people on CC book through private insurance and get better coverage and a cheaper rate. I tend to go on cruises that are longer therefore have more seniors and there are quite a few accidents and medical emergencies on a regular basis.

We always look for insurance right after we book and if we cancel and rebook, it is transferable! We did that on one booking for a fall cruise and then just transferred the booking to a spring sailing.. No problem!

I agree with these comments.

We don't really try to insure our trip, we basically want medical and medical evacuation coverage, since we are seniors.

In the past we have purchased coverage from our TA, who offerred coverage from Travel Guard. The Travel Guard coverage allowed for a small additional fee the option to double the medical and emergency evacuation coverage which I have always done in the past until last year. Last year, when I went to purchase similar coverage found the rate doubled, still purchased with TA. After wards I contacted Travel Guard myself, found they offered a business travel package that can be purchased on an "annual basis" which was a 1/3 less than what I paid for a 3 week trip policy.

So this year, I plan to purchase a annual package directly from an insurance company.

In the past when I was buying trip plans I based the price and time frame on my air fares vs cruise since I was not trying to cover my trip expenses. This way we had medical and emergency evacuation for the entire time we were traveling, both before, after and during a cruise. We always purchase our cruise and air separately.

The only thing I would add to this is the addition of a United Explorer Visa credit card (or other card with similar perks), at least for purchase of all the non-cruise trip elements including airfare, ground transport, pre/post cruise hotels/tours, etc.. The Explorer Visa card will cover cancellation up to $10K (broad range of allowable reasons) thus permitting a lower trip cost element (cruise only) in the charge for the comprehensive policy (med/evac/cancel) from companies like Travelex (we prefer their midrange policy - "Select"). Note: make sure you cite your inclusive travel dates (from home departure to home return) on your comp policy.

We buy primary insurance for out of country medical/evac. We never buy it from the cruise company or from TA, or on line from the bank or the auto club. We find more cost effective and we have a more robust policy.

At the moment we have an annual contract with a 2K deductible. The price is significantly better than a TA or cruise line offering. The deductible also served to reduce our annual premium.

We buy primary insurance for out of country medical/evac. We never buy it from the cruise company or from TA, or on line from the bank or the auto club. We find more cost effective and we have a more robust policy.

At the moment we have an annual contract with a 2K deductible. The price is significantly better than a TA or cruise line offering. The deductible also served to reduce our annual premium.

...And the company is .........?

Thank you all

My thoughts are similar but it helps to hear others express their reasonings as to why you do it your way.

I'll be gone today but will reread this tomorrow. Any comments still greatly appreciated.

My cruise and airfare will be separate. I need to buy my airfare before they'll insure me as they wanted cost.

I've had TravelGuard the past two years.

Randy

We do buy HAL's Premium insurance and have had to use it a couple of times when we had to cancel cruises at the last minute.

Just for edification -- for our next cruises we are going to buy Geo Blue Trekker Choice Insurance for medical purposes.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

We are insured for 60 days of out of country travel by my pension plan.

The second insurance policy that we purchased is an annual contract.. The first sixty days of the trip are covered by my pension plan carrier. Then the travel insurance policy that we purchased kicks for a period not exceeding 35 days, ie we are insured for a total of 95 days. We often travel for this long. So the policy is very flexible and meets our exact needs. We can add additional days if needed-and we did have to add two days on our last trip.

As luck would have it we did have a $750. foreign hospital claim pertaining to day 45 while travelling. Pension plan insurance carrier paid it without question. Did not even ask for our boarding passes to verify when we left the country.

Edited by iancal

Thank you all

My thoughts are similar but it helps to hear others express their reasonings as to why you do it your way.

I'll be gone today but will reread this tomorrow. Any comments still greatly appreciated.

My cruise and airfare will be separate. I need to buy my airfare before they'll insure me as they wanted cost.

I've had TravelGuard the past two years.

Randy

I have usedvAllianz and was able to add the airfare later and pay the difference.

I have Travel Guard now and was able to insure as soon as I booked the cruise. I can add airfare after I book it, and pay the difference.

I have usedvAllianz and was able to add the airfare later and pay the difference.

I have Travel Guard now and was able to insure as soon as I booked the cruise. I can add airfare after I book it, and pay the difference.

Why would you add airfare to a comp policy when it is covered by some credit cards? A $90/yr United Explorer Visa had $10K of trip cancelation for fares purchased with the card. Buy the comp policy for the cruise only. At approx $2k/person for Int'l airfare, you're looking at $90 for the card (covers both of you) vs more than $150 x 2 people for adding air to the policy.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I should check into my Master-cards and Discover to see if they offer anything. Good thought...

TravelGuards looks to have a fair price from my searches and a phone call. I hate making a decision when the outcome really ends up about the same.

Thank you all

Why would you add airfare to a comp policy when it is covered by some credit cards? A $90/yr United Explorer Visa had $10K of trip cancelation for fares purchased with the card. Buy the comp policy for the cruise only. At approx $2k/person for Int'l airfare, you're looking at $90 for the card (covers both of you) vs more than $150 x 2 people for adding air to the policy.

I am more interested in the medical coverage and medical evacuation part of the policy than I am the trip cancellation part. Our current credit card would pay most of that if needed. but I want us to be medically covered not only on the ship but also while flying.

Hubby has pre-existing medical problems . Our policy already covers that for the cruise and by adding the coverage to the flights, especially the international flights, gives us peace of mind. Worth the money.

Edited by NMLady

I am more interested in the medical coverage and medical evacuation part of the policy than I am the trip cancellation part. Our current credit card would pay most of that if needed. but I want us to be medically covered not only on the ship but also while flying.

Hubby has pre-existing medical problems . Our policy already covers that for the cruise and by adding the coverage to the flights, especially the international flights, gives us peace of mind. Worth the money.

The United Airlines Explorer Visa card covers medical and dental emergencies up to $50k and med evac up to $500k for any part of your trip paid for using the card.

The United Airlines Explorer Visa card covers medical and dental emergencies up to $50k and med evac up to $500k for any part of your trip paid for using the card.

Disregard my previous post. That was my regular med insurance -not the Visa. But the Visa does cover tix cancelation. Note that your supplemental comp travel policy should be able to be dated to start from the day you leave home on your trip. So, you'll then have the med coverage while in transit to the cruise.

... Note that your supplemental comp travel policy should be able to be dated to start from the day you leave home on your trip. So, you'll then have the med coverage while in transit to the cruise.

You are correct. We always give the starting date as the date we leave home even though the cruise is not until the next day. We do the same for the return date. When I confirm a change in our post cruise hotel dates and have our return flight date I'll be able to give the final date to insurance and amend the coverage dates.

Edited by NMLady

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I need to use the date I leave home and date I get home.

Also... I don't see it now but thought someone said not to include extra's the prepaid gratuity, fees, Port charges etc. just use the cruise price. Can someone confirm this or explain a little? I have a breakdown of all costs so it's easy to separate. It makes sense that it should lower the cost of the insurance some.

Thank you,

I am having good ,personal interaction with the trip insurance store....I add as I go for a med cruise next year with pre and post arrangements and needing pre-existing med cov.....they have been very thorough and helped me with a couple of errors I made...

Okay, so I need to use the date I leave home and date I get home.

Also... I don't see it now but thought someone said not to include extra's the prepaid gratuity, fees, Port charges etc. just use the cruise price. Can someone confirm this or explain a little? I have a breakdown of all costs so it's easy to separate. It makes sense that it should lower the cost of the insurance some.

Thank you,

If you've got a good travel related credit card (e.g., United Airlines Explorer Visa), it will provide coverage for associated things like airfare, tours, etc (purchased with the card)

For a great comprehensive cruise policy (primary payer regardless of your own health insurance coverage specifics abroad), do consider Travelex "Select Traveler."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer