Disability ship upgrades

h20skibum

People can be mean. I'm in my 40 years and use a cane and wheel chair. They stair and wonder what's wrong with me - won't ask but , give me that poor dear look. I have been using both for 10 yrs now due to a neuromuscular disease. I can't walk far so steps are out of the question. Most people think I'm lazy and I too have to wait for the elevator forever. But, it's ok I'm use to it . I walk very slowly. I just hate when people run in front of me to get in line before me . It annoys me a lot. They know I was going right there. It's like they are going to miss something

Carnival's policy of having all of their accessible cabins at the front is also an issue. A member of my family benefits from an accessible cabin, however having one at the front of the ship is not an option to her as the increased movement causes balance issues. Additionally, many cruiselines have their cabins in the middle which aids with decreased endurance. Fortunately, most of my family members are able to take the stairs so often she will go in the elevator and the rest of us meet her at the correct floor. Maybe we are just more conscious of some people's needs for the elevator as packed elevators can cause issues for her as well.

I really want to get in the pool, like others do... Need a pool chair lift PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!:(

Sorry, that won't happen and the ADA expressly says that:

under the ADA, there is no need to provide access to existing pools if doing so is not “readily achievable". The lift would be more dangerous than it would be worthwhile. I am sure that ships in design may provide one pool with a ramp to allow disabled passengers to run their chairs into the pool.

In the end, I wrote to Carnival suggesting that the announcements be broadcast on TV monitors around the ship to help the hearing impaired. What if there was a real emergency with panicky passengers? What would happen to the hearing impaired?

Anyhow - I will look forward to improvements for the hearing impaired and others with disabilities.

While captioned messages on T.V.'s seems like a good idea, what language would you like the captioning to be in ?

Most cruises I've been on have many different nationalities and English is usually not their first language.

While captioned messages on T.V.'s seems like a good idea, what language would you like the captioning to be in ?

Most cruises I've been on have many different nationalities and English is usually not their first language.

English comes to mind. This is the language of the PA announcements on Carnival.

I am hoping for more stateroom selections. Right now it is very limited especially if you are wanting a balcony. The other amenities we found suitable in their current state.

Because of the size of typical balconies they won't work for accessibility so that means the extended balconies would have to be reserved as accessible.

Carnival's policy of having all of their accessible cabins at the front is also an issue.

What policy is that? Looking at the Conquest-class deck plan, there are accessible cabins near the midship elevators on decks 6,7 and 8. On Lido deck there are 4 accessible cabins between the pool and the forward elevators.

What policy is that? Looking at the Conquest-class deck plan, there are accessible cabins near the midship elevators on decks 6,7 and 8. On Lido deck there are 4 accessible cabins between the pool and the forward elevators.

Many, if not all of those, are "modified accessible". Not enough turn around space for a wheelchair. They have the modified bathroom which actually makes the room smaller (the total space of the cabin is the same as any other, because the bathroom is larger, there's less room in the main part of the cabin).

On Conquest, the fully accessible cabins are mostly in the 4J category, and there are a couple (or sometimes 1) oceanview that is fully accessible; the balconies and suite have a sill (between 1 and 4 inches) instead of a ramp.

And don't get me started on accessible cabins that sleep more than 2 people; on Carnival, they are few and far between (dream class has a few, conquest class has 2-3, other classes have 1, and it's usually the suite).

I don't think it's fair that if we didn't need the accessible features, we'd be able to book 1 4K on the Pride but because my mother is a full time wheelchair user, and the accessible cabins only sleep 2, we have to book 2 (and pay a single supplement for the second cabin) for the 3 of us to sail together.

Edited by meatloafsfan

As I posted at the beginning of this thread, I do sympathize with those requiring accessible cabins, and feel that the booking requirements need to be changed, and that perhaps more accessible cabins need to be provided, but I place most of the blame on Congress for not giving the "clear mandate" that the Supreme Court stipulated.

I will say that I can foresee this settlement causing even more complaints from those requiring accessible cabins. As others have said, many Carnival ships already have 2.5% of their cabins as accessible. But under the settlement, the 3% required need to be distributed among all cabin categories. So, I would expect that some of the ocean view accessible cabins will go away in order to allow more new accessible cabins in higher price categories. I can then foresee this causing folks, when booking an accessible cabin, to find that all of the accessible cabins in their desired category have sold out, and they will complain that in order to have accessibility they had to pay more, which will lead to more investigations by Justice, and round and round it will go, until Justice says that all cabins must be accessible, and we know where that will lead. This, of course, is the worst case scenario, but given the litigation driven society we live in, it could very well happen. And even if it doesn't go all the way, I foresee more dissatisfied accessibility customers due to fewer cabins being in each category.

Accessibility requirements are wonderful and much needed but common sense is often overlooked in the ADA handbook. And my favorite are the disk shaped tactile warnings at crosswalks that fill with ice in the winter and become skating ramps and a hazard for everyone and are tripping hazards for women in heels the other days of the year.

We have all driven into parking lots, round and around while a half dozen accessible stalls mock us at every turn...or we have to wait in line at large public venue restrooms where stalls are at a minimum because of the "security" matron protecting the accessible stall from being used by anyone not in a wheelchair.

We also know, for a fact, that because of the "can't ask" nature of booking accessible cabins many passengers lie through their teeth to get a bit more space in their cabin. And don't even get me started on how some very lazy people rent scooters because they are too lazy to walk a few yards (with sincere apologies to those who actually "require" them.

I know what living with a disability is as my Father was a WWII vet who had his leg crushed in the war but my parents learned to live with it and never once expected that they wouldn't have to live in a world where things were harder for them than the average Joe. They would have been thrilled to have the opportunity to book a cruise and a more expensive room if that was what was available and would have considered it money well spent...but they would also, knowing their restrictions, would have planned and booked way early if they knew that their choices would be limited.

The ADA shouldn't give a disabled person "more"...it should give them the same chances a non-disabled person has. They are fully capable of waiting in line like the rest of us or having to pay a bit more if the cheap seats fill quickly.

I agree that a handicapped person is fully capable (usually, there are some who can't) of waiting in lines like everyone else. The ADA is not meant to give a disabled person "more", just equal access to things like an able bodied person is able to have.

When people are complaining about how awful that Carnival has to remake some cabin into handicapped accessible cabins, I laugh. Do you really know about how many cabins of the whole ship they are talking about when they say 3% have to be accessible? We are talking about only about 35 cabins of approximately 1000 cabins on a ship. They are just a drop in the bucket as to what is needed.

For my next cruise, I wanted to book an Ocean View on the Conquest. I could not get one. I couldn't get one, not because I didn't plan ahead and they were all booked, it was because there isn't any accessible cabins in the Ocean View category. I had to either book a 4j or a balcony in order to get a room with a window. I booked the 4j, but instead of getting a room where I could watch the ocean from, I got one where I will only be able to see a rail when I look out. This cabin also costs more than the lowest class Ocean View for the able bodied. I don't need much in the room except for the wider doorways and no threshold in the bathroom, but because of this I had to pay more than someone in a higher class cabin. If you were the one in this situation, wouldn't you be wondering to how this can be right?

I have rheumatoid arthritis and look fine. RA is an autoimmune disease and I have flares where I can't walk. My last cruise I needed a wheelchair several times. I look normal but I am overweight. I lost 50 pounds only to gain it back from being on predisone for 3 years! I have a friend who has Lupus and has gained close to 100 pounds from the medication. just because they are overweight doesn't mean they are lazy and fat.

Hi all interesting conversation. ljslight, yes so true, I have RA and Lupus I look

healthy even though I am a big woman imagine taking all that medication.

Sometimes even I feel very self conscientious about people looking at me as to why I am in a scooter, walking is very very difficult without a scooter I would not be able to enjoy my cruises. I simply love cruising.

Now as far as Carnival I would love, simply love, if they were to make their doors on the deck that takes you outside (maybe deck 3) handicap accessible. It is so so very hard to open that door to go out on the deck with all the wind sitting on a scooter.

With the baby boom aging population and people with diabilities and people living longer and wanting to travel with their limitations it is in cruise companies best interest to accommodate all these customers. Good for all.

I agree that a handicapped person is fully capable (usually, there are some who can't) of waiting in lines like everyone else. The ADA is not meant to give a disabled person "more", just equal access to things like an able bodied person is able to have.

When people are complaining about how awful that Carnival has to remake some cabin into handicapped accessible cabins, I laugh. Do you really know about how many cabins of the whole ship they are talking about when they say 3% have to be accessible? We are talking about only about 35 cabins of approximately 1000 cabins on a ship. They are just a drop in the bucket as to what is needed.

For my next cruise, I wanted to book an Ocean View on the Conquest. I could not get one. I couldn't get one, not because I didn't plan ahead and they were all booked, it was because there isn't any accessible cabins in the Ocean View category. I had to either book a 4j or a balcony in order to get a room with a window. I booked the 4j, but instead of getting a room where I could watch the ocean from, I got one where I will only be able to see a rail when I look out. This cabin also costs more than the lowest class Ocean View for the able bodied. I don't need much in the room except for the wider doorways and no threshold in the bathroom, but because of this I had to pay more than someone in a higher class cabin. If you were the one in this situation, wouldn't you be wondering to how this can be right?

The question is, who's forcing you to sail Carnival if you can't get the cabin you want?

Hi all interesting conversation. ljslight, yes so true, I have RA and Lupus I look

healthy even though I am a big woman imagine taking all that medication.

Sometimes even I feel very self conscientious about people looking at me as to why I am in a scooter, walking is very very difficult without a scooter I would not be able to enjoy my cruises. I simply love cruising.

Now as far as Carnival I would love, simply love, if they were to make their doors on the deck that takes you outside (maybe deck 3) handicap accessible. It is so so very hard to open that door to go out on the deck with all the wind sitting on a scooter.

I think you need to bone up on your physics. An accessible door automatic opener isn't going to win in a battle with the wind...in fact it just might make things worse. And if you took the threshold out to allow scooters a flat surface all the water that accumulates on outside decks will flood into the interior every time the door is opened making interior conditions unsafe.

Accessibility requirements are a good thing but when people don't use common sense to understand the limitations of making "everything" accessible conditions will become worse for everyone.

I am very excited about the upcoming changes! I am deaf with cochlear implants. On my Hawaii cruise last December there was bad weather and the day we were supposed to be in Maui they made lots of announcements over the PA system that I was not able to understand. I had to keep asking people around me, "What are they saying?". As it turned out, we would be in Hilo that day instead of Maui and of course there were lots of announcements regarding the length of stay, shore excursions, going to Maui another day, etc. This may not seem like a lot to some, but to not understand what is happening is frustrating. We ended up with several itinerary changes during this cruise and so there were several days like this.

In the end, I wrote to Carnival suggesting that the announcements be broadcast on TV monitors around the ship to help the hearing impaired. What if there was a real emergency with panicky passengers? What would happen to the hearing impaired?

Anyhow - I will look forward to improvements for the hearing impaired and others with disabilities.

I agree with you. I started to learn sign language. I really enjoyed learning. I often thought about people on cruise ships who still need someone to interpret for the deaf. Just to become an interrupter it requires a BA. So much schooling. So I had to quit. But if someone around me needed help I would help someone.

I think you need to bone up on your physics. An accessible door automatic opener isn't going to win in a battle with the wind...in fact it just might make things worse. And if you took the threshold out to allow scooters a flat surface all the water that accumulates on outside decks will flood into the interior every time the door is opened making interior conditions unsafe.

Accessibility requirements are a good thing but when people don't use common sense to understand the limitations of making "everything" accessible conditions will become worse for everyone.

Actually, a number of other lines and newer ships have the automatic doors and the proper kind of easy ramps. Your argument would only fly if all cruise ships had the same issues, they don't.

I love sailing Carnival but they have not produced the most accessible ships.

Actually, a number of other lines and newer ships have the automatic doors and the proper kind of easy ramps. Your argument would only fly if all cruise ships had the same issues, they don't.

I love sailing Carnival but they have not produced the most accessible ships.

That is interesting...please let me know which ships have on demand automatic doors direct from interior to exterior spaces...I'd like to check them out and to see how they handled the force/weight/hinge issue and the extent of the ramps both directions for compliance. Thanks.

That is interesting...please let me know which ships have on demand automatic doors direct from interior to exterior spaces...I'd like to check them out and to see how they handled the force/weight/hinge issue and the extent of the ramps both directions for compliance. Thanks.

Swing doors are generally not an option in these cases, though I've seen a few. Sliders are more common. The Norwegian Sky has sliders from the buffet out onto deck, and also on the other side of the deck. A couple on the promenade deck as well. They don't use a ramp (though I think there is a very small one on the promenade doors), they have a covered gutter outside the door that will drain the water away. All are motion activated.