Disability ship upgrades

h20skibum

I suppose there will have to be some kind of crane system to get scooters onto tenders. I almost hate to say this, but I will: I've seen some passengers in scooters who top 400 pounds. They'll have to be helped onto tenders as well. It's going to be very interesting seeing how this is handled.

I'm editing this to ask how proof is shown that one is truly in need of an accessible cabin. For those who are disabled, do you have to show proof of your disability? We all know how people are. I can see some schmuck claiming a disability, snagging an ADA cabin, and using a cane to get on the ship. Then s/he will ditch the cane during the cruise.

You are a piece of work!

Let me say this I was 420 pounds after 3 years of massive dosage of steroids to keep me alive since my lung was removed to a lung disorder, I since have lost 65 pounds but I have a lot more to lose.

HOW DARE YOU assume that because a person is over weight that they are not disabled. Its people like you that I want to whip my shirt off in public and show you my 2 foot scar down my back where they removed my lung. So not only did they make me gain massive amount of weight, my bones are so brittle I can no longer stand or walk far without starting to shake. My limited lung capacity will be with me the rest of my life. So yea I am a schmuck as you call it milking the system.

You are what is wrong with this country today, you are nothing but a person who judges people just on looks. Not to wish this on anyone but one day that person who you are judging could be YOU! Then you will get the clue! Because as of right now you are clueless!

Next time you see one of "THOSE PEOPLE" instead of judging why don't you ask if they need help? Or better yet don't judge people!

Edited by PattBenatar

...... We all know how people are. I can see some schmuck claiming a disability, snagging an ADA cabin, and using a cane to get on the ship. Then s/he will ditch the cane during the cruise.

Just so you will know, some people have disabilities such as RA, Sarcodosis, Lupus, Pulmonary Hypertension, etc. where they may only need their canes when standing in long lines such as getting on and off the ship... and not need them when there will not be long amount of time standing or excessive walking. People who make comments like this is one of the reasons that people with disabilities feel uncomfortable in some environments. Heaven forbid you should ever have to suffer an illness that does not allow you to stand long periods of time or take steroids that make you gain excessive amounts of weight. :eek: Also, I can't speak for every state but in the state of Louisiana people with disabilities usually have an id card issued in addition to their driver's license if they have a car and a handicap tag or plate. They can show that card when away from their vehicle and need accessible considerations. Don't judge because you see a person standing in line with a cane or wheeled aboard in a wheel chair then later see them on the ship without a cane. Just thank whatever powers you believe in that you don't have to be in their shoes.

Katiel53 not all disabilities u can see. Sometimes u are better one day- some days you are in a wheelchair. It's hard enough to explain to every dr one sees much less a carnival rep. We don't want to explain to every person what our disease is and what's wrong with us.

Eileen, I do realize that as I am one with disabilities that are not seen. I am not speaking of the people who really do have problems. I am speaking of the ones who fake things to take advantage of the extra space in a handicap accessible cabin.

Do a search on here for handicap cabins and you will see how some people book them just for the extra space and then get worried that someone who really needs one might take it away. Those are the selfish ones.

Getting a handicap tag for a car requires a doctor certification of need. I personally look at cruise ship rooms as exactly like an accessible car space and would have no problem getting a doctor certification of need.

I am going to rock the boat, well ship in this case. I have gone through back surgeries and have lots of nerve damage that causes me to have a lot of trouble with my legs. On a 5 day cruise I can't walk very well on about the 3rd or 4th day. I stay in pain but try not to spoil it for my wife and whoever else goes with us. I keep in mind to schedule things around my disability. It's not CCL fault I'm disabled and I don't expect them to cater to me. If there is something I would love to do but know I can't do, oh' well I'll get over it. I'm not going to sue CCL because of it and don't think anyone else should either. I know I am disabled and have walking issues so I'm certainly not going to book something I know I can't do.

I like the way you think. I have been disabled for years. I cannot walk long distances and the disability I have causes weight gain, not to mention the fact that I am limited in the exercise I can do. Due to that, I get a lot of comment about just being overweight and lazy and using an assistive device because of it. I don't care what people think most of the time. But I also don't put my disability off on others. it was not their fault. It was not my fault either. I know I am disabled and have to live in an able-bodied world. Not a problem. I adapt. I can't get up to the top decks on the ship and would love to. But that isn't Carnival's fault. No sense blaming them or suing them for that. I can't go on a tender. That's okay. It's my choice to book a cruise that has a tender port or not.

I have used a walker for years. This next cruise will be a first for me using a wheelchair. I know it will be different, but I intend on having a great time anyway. My wheelchair is collapsible and will fit through the door of a standard cabin. I specifically bought it for that reason since we love to cruise and intend on doing a lot more of it. I prefer that someone with more need for the accessible cabin have access to it.

Just two things that I would recommend... people using wheelchairs and walkers be more considerate of able-bodied people and that able-bodied people be more considerate of the handicapped and not cut them off by stepping in front of them. We can all have a great time.

Not in a million years. All I see are the "poor me" statements.

I'm sure glad that the disabled people I know are all about the "look what I can do" mentality rather than the "don't you realize I have an issue" set. There is a whole lot of one-upman-ship in play on a cruise ship from those who think they should get preferential (instead of equal) treatment. But, seemingly, it is often the "caregiver" who seems to be the most demanding in making sure everyone knows that their loved one needs and has a right to expect others to go out of their way to accommodate them.

It's been my experience that people who are truly working with their disability don't "walk" around with the proverbial chip on their shoulder. They, like regular folks, wait their turn and don't want to call attention to themselves, choosing to refrain from making others feel uncomfortable since it isn't always easy to know how to react to someone with a disability.

I cruise with my disabled adult son who is confined to a wheelchair. The disability occurred 6 years ago. Prior to that I had not had any experience with disabilities. We have taken about 30 cruises.

1st I have to address the comment made about people with disabilities shouldn't complain because complaining displays a lack of "Can DO Attitude". Trying to do any type of travel with a disability displays a can do attitude. And who are you to judge what kind of attitude a disabled person should have.

Change sometimes requires conflict. Cruise ships claim to provide accessibility by providing a very limited number of modifications. Remember when most places of business were inaccessibility was the normal and those needing a wheelchair pretty much couldn't go anywhere because there weren't any ramps and steps to enter most stores and other places of businesses. Now thanks to the ADA that was fought against so hard those with disabilities can go almost anywhere. With this court's decision better accommodations will become improved and the new ships will be built with more accessibility.

As far as automatic doors, every time I come across one on a cruise ship I thank God for the miracle of that moment. We just returned from a Disney Cruise and the automatic door to our cabin was so wonderful I almost cried every time we used it. If we can send men to the moon we can surely engineer better automatic doors.

Our constitution is based on protecting the rights of the individual which includes the disabled. Yes these shipped are flagged in other countries but most call upon an American port and target the US consumers so the ADA should apply.

I won't give my opinion about what needs' to be changed or added because those desires have already been addressed in this thread accept to say Carnival's staterooms's categorized as modified are a joke and only add to the confusion and frustration when trying to book an accessible cabin.

If State handicapped tags for parking require a Physician's statement be signed I don't understand why the cruise ships can't require this. The statement wouldn't explain the disability just state the disability is real.

Lastly, elevators, I have spent as long as 45 minutes waiting for an elevator that will accommodate my son's wheelchair because elevators are full or other's race in front of us before we can get in. Sometimes I just start backing in and tell people to make room.. This may have seemed rude but because of other's lack of courtesy we may still be waiting for an elevator on the Main deck if it weren't for being aggressive. Please be courteous to those in a wheelchair and you will have good Karma.

Just so you will know, some people have disabilities such as RA, Sarcodosis, Lupus, Pulmonary Hypertension, etc. where they may only need their canes when standing in long lines such as getting on and off the ship... and not need them when there will not be long amount of time standing or excessive walking. People who make comments like this is one of the reasons that people with disabilities feel uncomfortable in some environments. Heaven forbid you should ever have to suffer an illness that does not allow you to stand long periods of time or take steroids that make you gain excessive amounts of weight. :eek: Also, I can't speak for every state but in the state of Louisiana people with disabilities usually have an id card issued in addition to their driver's license if they have a car and a handicap tag or plate. They can show that card when away from their vehicle and need accessible considerations. Don't judge because you see a person standing in line with a cane or wheeled aboard in a wheel chair then later see them on the ship without a cane. Just thank whatever powers you believe in that you don't have to be in their shoes.

Impressive someone actually knows what Sarcoidosis is. I have had it now for 15 years, and I am part of the 5 percent club. But I don't let things like that slow me down. This year I am driving 2000 miles and cruising for my first time and I will accomplish task solo. Your words are very thoughtful. I tend get a tad emotional when I have people who discriminate blatantly on a open forum.

People look at me, and automatically think that fat slob why don't she just get up and walk. I wish it was that easy.

One day while shopping I was dressed up and I looked hot. (or so I assumed) a Father and his daughter looked at me and said loudly enough look at that fat pig, she has to be carried that is why you don't overeat.

Needless to say I ignored that comment, I felt bad for the little girl, she was being taught by a ignorant jerk.

The thread was about ship upgrades. A couple of you started talking about disease processes on a personal level.

The very first page fyree39 started attacking people about disabilities. She drew first blood. Not me.

I am all for upgrades to make a persons life easier or normal as it can be in the situation.

The biggest improvement will be:

Carnival will provide specific ADA training to employees and managers.

Like any place if you have staff that is quite aware what to do and what not to do makes a huge difference.

Edited by PattBenatar

I am cool with how this thread is going. Discussions are about exchanging ideas and getting an understanding on where the other side is coming from. The odd heated colorful exchanges simply add some spice to the thread and make it a more interesting read.

Since I am overly familiar with disabilities that don't show I have an abhorrence for "readily apparent healthy individuals" who crowd cruise line elevators to go up or down a single deck at the expense of those others "with disabilities whether apparent or otherwise". And on many threads I get the same flack for my pet peeve from disabled passengers as well as healthy passengers. In fact more disabled passengers read me the riot act because who am I to think that someone who looks healthy (like the guys who just finished an hour of basketball) aren't really capable of taking the stairs. Having any kind of empathy seems to be continual discouraged.

Disabled people are just as apt to be rude and inconsiderate as the rest of mankind. My friend who can't bend one of her legs was sitting with the bad leg outside of the confines of our booth. A very surly lady on a scooter to big for her to handle kept running into my friend's leg and finally screamed at my friend to move her leg with unseemly language so that she could get by. Being discourteous isn't reserved just for healthy folks.

And to backtrack and in response to the lady who is upset that Carnival doesn't demand "proof" that someone needs an accessible room...I can only say that said lady needs to understand that there are laws in place to protect those with disabilities from being discriminated against, such as revealing their disability. It isn't Carnival's choice that they don't require proof.

Since I am overly familiar with disabilities that don't show I have an abhorrence for "readily apparent healthy individuals" who crowd cruise line elevators to go up or down a single deck at the expense of those others "with disabilities whether apparent or otherwise". And on many threads I get the same flack for my pet peeve from disabled passengers as well as healthy passengers. In fact more disabled passengers read me the riot act because who am I to think that someone who looks healthy (like the guys who just finished an hour of basketball) aren't really capable of taking the stairs. Having any kind of empathy seems to be continual discouraged.

Disabled people are just as apt to be rude and inconsiderate as the rest of mankind. My friend who can't bend one of her legs was sitting with the bad leg outside of the confines of our booth. A very surly lady on a scooter to big for her to handle kept running into my friend's leg and finally screamed at my friend to move her leg with unseemly language so that she could get by. Being discourteous isn't reserved just for healthy folks.

And to backtrack and in response to the lady who is upset that Carnival doesn't demand "proof" that someone needs an accessible room...I can only say that said lady needs to understand that there are laws in place to protect those with disabilities from being discriminated against, such as revealing their disability. It isn't Carnival's choice that they don't require proof.

So, in other words, someone can just call and say they "need" a handicap cabin, whether they did or not just to protect the privacy of someone truly handicapped?

So, in other words, someone can just call and say they "need" a handicap cabin, whether they did or not just to protect the privacy of someone truly handicapped?

Yes they can, don't agree with it, but thanks to the ADA and the politicians, that is the way it is.

I don't understand the issue of requiring a letter of need from a physician that this cruiser requires an accessible stateroom. Just like the state does when getting a handicap parking pass. No description of a disability would be required or included.

I am not being critical one way or the other I really do not understand the issue. Could someone explain to me how the ADA words the issue. If the challenged cruiser signed a HIPPA release form would that work?

Of course that makes it pretty complicated. But with only 1 or 2 staterooms being available in the desired class of service it would be worth the work for us.