Disembarking Barcelona......do you have to do customs/immigration/security?

We are self disembarking in Barcelona. Since we are only visiting European Union countries (Spain, France,Italy), do we have to go through customs and immigration when we get off the ship? Or is there a security line?

I am trying to decide how much time to allow to disembark because we are hiring a private transfer to the airport for 6 of us.

Thanks!

Non-EU (non-Schengen) passport holders have a brief passport control at Barcelona and exit on the right escalator and EU citizens go directly to baggage claim.

No direct customs control. Luggage is checked prior to the ship being cleared for disembarkation. Customs may visually select any passenger they choose for further control, but this is rare.

Any passenger that has raised the interest of customs from the electronic passenger list is contacted onboard the ship and you will sometimes here specific passengers being called for customs control.

Barcelona only releases baggage when your number is called. This means you need self-disembark for the most control. They are very good about keeping the numbers moving though.

You could easily plan to meet a driver 30 minutes from the time you leave the ship.

• 1 month later...
I'm new to this! How do I ask a question ? I could be here all day searching. Is there no way of asking a question? If not, what is the point of this website if you can't get advice from people who have done more cruises than you?

To start a thread to ask a question just go to the board that pertains to your question. In the top left hand corner you will see something marked as New Thread. Click on that.

Then for the topic write something pertaining to your question. Then fill in the text and then click on submit reply.

Keith

We are self disembarking in Barcelona. Since we are only visiting European Union countries (Spain, France,Italy), do we have to go through customs and immigration when we get off the ship? Or is there a security line?

I am trying to decide how much time to allow to disembark because we are hiring a private transfer to the airport for 6 of us.

Thanks!

Once you are allowed to get off the ship the entire process will only take five to ten minutes.

Keith

Once you are allowed to get off the ship the entire process will only take five to ten minutes.

Keith

Wow--that is fast. Good to know, as we are planning to pull our luggage off to save time. Our flight is 10:45 so glad we can go that fast.

Thanks

I'm new to this! How do I ask a question ? I could be here all day searching. Is there no way of asking a question? If not, what is the point of this website if you can't get advice from people who have done more cruises than you?

Well, you just asked a question didn't you. There is some helpful info n the sticky notes that may be of help to you and there is a search function on each thread in the right hasnd corner where you put in a key word or two and some posts come up that may have info you need. That is the point of the web site Good luck.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

At the top of the forum page is a FAQ section (located just to the right of "User CP") which you may find helpful to read. You will find information regarding how to post there.

Wow--that is fast. Good to know, as we are planning to pull our luggage off to save time. Our flight is 10:45 so glad we can go that fast.

Thanks

Our flight was at 11:05, we booked NCL transport when leaving Epic on a Sunday and we were instructed to disembark at 06:00. We left the ship at about 06:10, our ship cards were scanned leaving the ship, there was no passport control, we went down the escalators, picked up our cases from the luggage carousel and walked onto the bus. The bus left around 06:35 and we were at the airport at 07:00, far too early.

In hindsight we could have left the ship at 07:00 and having seen an Epic Barcelona disembarkation document we should have been off at 07:00 for flights between 11:00 and 13:00.

Edited by Blocks

• 3 weeks later...
Our flight was at 11:05, we booked NCL transport when leaving Epic on a Sunday and we were instructed to disembark at 06:00. We left the ship at about 06:10, our ship cards were scanned leaving the ship, there was no passport control, we went down the escalators, picked up our cases from the luggage carousel and walked onto the bus. The bus left around 06:35 and we were at the airport at 07:00, far too early.

In hindsight we could have left the ship at 07:00 and having seen an Epic Barcelona disembarkation document we should have been off at 07:00 for flights between 11:00 and 13:00.

Glad to hear you were able to get off the ship that early. We also have a 10:45 flight. Have been stressing about it, but from what I've been reading online, it shouldn't be a problem. My wife and I have no problem getting up early and trying to be one of the first off. I'd rather get to airport early and wait, would hate to miss a flight that far from home.