Help me figure this out.

cruiseelady

I am interested in going on NCL Breakaway June 12-19 to Bermuda from NYC. Here is what I would like to know, what date do summer vacation starts for all schools and colleges? I want to go when everyone is still in school. Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks

I am interested in going on NCL Breakaway June 12-19 to Bermuda from NYC. Here is what I would like to know, what date do summer vacation starts for all schools and colleges? I want to go when everyone is still in school. Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks

Nobody could possibly answer that. Some schools get out later than others, snow days and other makeup days etc. My sister and I live in neighboring towns and our kids last day of school was a week apart. We also had 4 snow days tacked on to the end of the year this year. The year of Sandy we had a week tacked onto the end of school... Most colleges end in May

Edited by russianmom

Unless you're willing to search the net and get school calendars for thousands of schools, there is no way to know. It will vary by state, level of schooling, public vs private etc. Generally speaking I believe colleges break before primary school. College semester may end late May to early June. Primary and High School may end mid to late June.

I have gone to Bermuda on Breakaway 3 times, and on other ships two other times. Every time, except once, the first week of October. And I havent hit a cold spell or hurricane yet! There also were very few young children.

Terry

We almost always do cruises in September-November time frame because:

1) Prices are usually way down compared to other times of year and

2) Kids are in school

We have three grown kids (34, 31 & 28) so we have nothing against kids but we find cruising less stressful & more relaxed w/o a bunch of "rugrats" running around...lol :D

In answer to your original question it is, as other posters have stated, nearly impossible to accurately determine "what date does summer vacation start for all schools and colleges". I think you'd be better off going in October.

We've been to Bermuda in October on 2 different cruises and have never had bad weather. Yes, technically it is still hurricane season but as the old gambler said, "You pays your money and you takes your chances..."

Have a great cruise (whenever you decide to go)

Tom

Thanks

It is absolutely certain that schools in the tri state area are still in session at that time for high school and below...

As a parent of several college kids.... By mid June they are either working or taking summer credits...either at home ...away on campus...or via study abroad.

There is no college break partying for college kids in June. All have left campus and scattered. They have started their summer.... presumably paid of course internships ......because the kids have just stopped taking unpaid gigs and rightly so...( this comes from knowing many college kids and they pay their tuitions so many have just begun to stand their ground about unpaid gigs...but i digress. Lol ). or have left for their study abroad programs...usually paid via scholarships or previous summer gigs....or daddy and mommys deep pockets ....here I go again. Lol

If a college kid is planning a cruise it would usually be the end of may before work and summer classes start

And those cruises are usually family cruises for the most part but you might find a groups of friends

I highly suggest you read the current ba Bermuda reviews and unfortunately they are not all glowing

I also strongly suggest that you do not book later than your stated date

Also I checked June 2016 and don't actually see any ba Bermuda cruises for the last 2 weeks of June 2016....but with ncl these days anything is possible lol

Also the first 2 weeks of September are very susceptible to huge kid crowds when sailing out of NYC as NYC public schools...high school and below...do start on the later side and in 2015 the religious holidays are during that timeframe so parents take kids out of school as they only miss a few days. Religious holidays for 2016 are later though than in 2015

College kids do not cruise in sept...they are back on campus

IMHO look into celebrity out of jersey to Bermuda...it was better priced this year than the ba or rccl

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Nobody could possibly answer that. Some schools get out later than others, snow days and other makeup days etc. My sister and I live in neighboring towns and our kids last day of school was a week apart. We also had 4 snow days tacked on to the end of the year this year. The year of Sandy we had a week tacked onto the end of school... Most colleges end in May

NYC public schools are definitely still in class at the time the op is asking about Trust me

I know that the last day of school in my area this year was May 6, 2015.

And how close is your area to NYC? Is there a big rush in your area to cruise out if NYC or would it be just a few families interest?

If you said you live in the tri state area that date would be an issue...but you don't as the tri state gets out in late June.....all the time.

What about October 2-9 for next year, everyone still in school/college?

Yes for the most part.... But some parents will take kids out the week after Columbus Day in the tri state area. Still the ship will not be overrun!!!

Also google something called " jersey week" when jersey schools lump a bunch of days off around election and Veterans Day in November....

I have 2 school age children and I take them out for vacation once a year. Also, in the southern hemisphere, most schools have summer break in the middle of our winter.

There will always be some kids on the ship. If you avoid Christmas holidays, July and August and February and March you will avoid the busiest kid times.

You could always sail a line that does not cater to kids or offers adult only experiences. But otherwise there will be kids and some of them undoubtedly be unruly.

And how close is your area to NYC? Is there a big rush in your area to cruise out if NYC or would it be just a few families interest?

If you said you live in the tri state area that date would be an issue...but you don't as the tri state gets out in late June.....all the time.

I have lved in the tri state area for almost 50 years (10 mikes from NYC). Kids here have almost always gone back to school a couple of days after Labor Day. However, with Labor Day being so late this year, many are actually going back to school before Labor Day.

I just want to reiterate that your choice week if June 12 to 19...2016... I presume.....

You can rest assure that the NYC public schools are still in session

College kids are otherwise preoccupied

But families with really young kids....would see this date as perfect due to pricing

If I were to book the ba to Bermuda it would be my choice with second choice being last 2 weeks of September...but not in 2015 due to the Jewish holidays ....regardless of hurricane season

Do not even consider the ba based on your preferences in July or august😱

I have lved in the tri state area for almost 50 years (10 mikes from NYC). Kids here have almost always gone back to school a couple of days after Labor Day. However, with Labor Day being so late this year, many are actually going back to school before Labor Day.

Yes it's true in the suburbs they are going back before Labor Day...mine going sept 2... but I just asked a NYC public school teacher friend and she said sept 9 for NYC public

I was surprised but don't believe she was incorrect

The change for2015 is of course 2 fold....

The Jewish holidays being early

Plus

The ridiculous knee jerk reaction to last years harsh winter and not calculating in enough snow days

After 25 years thus far of dealing with school calendars I just chuckle now as it is so obvious that they overreact and make changes that don't really need to be made

In our northern NYC suburb they go back for just the wed and thurs before Labor Day but have the Monday Tuesday and Friday of the week before Labor Day off

Really? Again a knee jerk reaction

Edited by luvtheships

Thanks

Summer breaks for colleges begin as early as the end of the first week in May. K-12 begin as early as that same time frame though most of them don't start until the 3rd week of May. Anytime in June you can be assured that 90% of all students K - college are on break.

What about October 2-9 for next year, everyone still in school/college?

This week and the week after are typically about the time most colleges have fall break. K-12 will usually be in school at this time.

Summer breaks for colleges begin as early as the end of the first week in May. K-12 begin as early as that same time frame though most of them don't start until the 3rd week of May. Anytime in June you can be assured that 90% of all students K - college are on break.

Absolutely untrue in the NYC area...where the vast majority of ba cruisers will be from

NYC and the highly populated with school age kids environs will be in school until late June......guaranteed

College kids are already working and June cruises are not a spring break cruise type thing for college kids

Will there be some families from Vermont or Ohio who may get out in may....yep....but it is the NYC masses with school age kids that will not be cruising on June 12

This week and the week after are typically about the time most colleges have fall break. K-12 will usually be in school at this time.

And those breaks are sometimes just a very long weekend

To the op.... college kids aren't cruising in masses in October

Some parents will of course take their kids out of high school for the Columbus Day week but seriously don't worry