Booking Early Saver Rate - No Luck With Price Drops

abisha

For the first time, I thought I'd try booking Early Saver in the hopes to be able to get in on some price drops. I've heard some great stories of how some people get great price drops. However, in my case, this turned out to be a bust for me.

Every time I saw a price drop, I would call my TA, but unfortunately each time, I was told that I would also lose out on some of the OBC...making the final outcome become an even exchange (such as...I'd save $80 on the price drop, but lose $80 of the OBC, because it would come under a new or different promo, etc.), so why bother? This happened each time. The price drop was about the same as the loss of the OBC.

My final payment is due in a few days, and I know if prices drop after final payment, I can get it in the form of OBC, but there's only 4 cabins remaining in my category, so when those sell out, that's it.

I know there's no guarantees, but such a disappointment to not have any.

Unless you didn't get any or much of any OBC, then I honestly don't see the point of it. Too bad they don't grandfather in the OBC and have it remain on your booking.

It's kind of the luck of the draw with Early Saver. This year is the first year we have gotten money back using early saver and it's the 3rd time we've booked with it. We are still 170 days out and our category is sold out so we are done getting adjustments, but we did get a pretty good drop before that happened.

But as far as the OBC goes, if you matched to a rate that offered OBC then you price match again, yes, you are at risk for losing that OBC. Sometimes the new rate is enough of a price drop to make it worth losing and sometimes it's not. I know some people on my roll call had the same dilemma. Match to the price and lost OBC or not match. I think it was only about $10 difference in once instance so a few decided not to do it.

I hear ya im experiencing the same ..no price drops ..no obc ..my cruise is still 120days away but i feel like i paid more anticipating it and now its a bust not to mention ships mostly sold out already this far in advance ..i just figure i picked a popular ship/cruise ..oh well

It's kind of the luck of the draw with Early Saver. This year is the first year we have gotten money back using early saver and it's the 3rd time we've booked with it. We are still 170 days out and our category is sold out so we are done getting adjustments, but we did get a pretty good drop before that happened.

But as far as the OBC goes, if you matched to a rate that offered OBC then you price match again, yes, you are at risk for losing that OBC. Sometimes the new rate is enough of a price drop to make it worth losing and sometimes it's not. I know some people on my roll call had the same dilemma. Match to the price and lost OBC or not match. I think it was only about $10 difference in once instance so a few decided not to do it.

I got a decent amount of OBC to begin with...$120, and it came from 3 different sources. But it covered our tips for the 5 nights (Sunshine), so we really didn't want to lose that.

Anyhow, will see what happens after final payment due and only a few remaining cabins left in our category.

I really shouldn't complain because I have gotten other good deals in the past with other promos.

We have booked early saver rates on our last 3 cruises. Our first cruise with Early Saver we got price drops before final payment that brought our fare down about $400 total for 2 cabins.

Our second cruise with ES, we got $40 OBC after final payment for each of our 3 cabins.

My third cruise with ES, no price drops and im not expecting any since its a thanksgiving day cruise. The price for our rooms has increased over $200 from what we booked. Im not complaining. I know that i got the best price so far for my cruise/room. Yet i still check several times a week just in case. :)

I dont book ES expecting to get price drops, the rates and restrictions work for our family and the price drops are only a perk.

I have booked ES to guaranty that I get the cabin I want on the ship I want. That said, I have booked ES on my last 6 cruises and ended up with OBC (not a lot, but some) on all of them. My next two cruises -nada-zip-squat- diddly-the prices have gone up, but ......I did get the cabin I wanted on the ship I wanted on the days I wanted, and I paid 200 less than the guy who booked this week!:p:D

We booked ES for our June 2013 cruise for 4 people in a 8E cabin and received $750 in price drops.

We booked ES for our June 2015 cruise for 4 people in a 8D cabin and received $1,400 in price drops.

The biggest reason is the rate drop for the 3rd and 4th in our cabin.

We booked ES for 2 rooms with 2 people in each cabin for July 2016 and I am not counting on the price drops I have benefited from in the past.

Remember that if the price drops in a higher category you can always upgrade! That is also a benefit.

This year we booked a balcony on the Lido and we got a couple of drops early on, but right now it looks like they are sold out. It happens, especially if you book a category that doesn't have as many rooms or that sells out quickly.

Just think of it this way, if you book early saver and don't get any price drops, that means you've booked the lowest price possible for your cruise

Exactly. I don't understand the (tons) of posts complaining about no price drops.

It means you got the best rate. What's to complain about?

I'm pretty sure that even once your category sells out, if there is a higher category with a lower rate, you can change to it to get the new lower rate. So the OP may still see a price drop. Most drops (in my experience) come after final payment, or if you book a year or more out and qualify for a new sale.

My experience with early saver is to #1 not expect any price drops, #2 be patient, #3 be vigilant and know and understand the early save rules. I will never book with a TA because the TAs I have worked with in the past (other cruise line) were not eager to help me get a lower or better rate. Even my PVP now is not really helpful, it's always a coincidence when i have found a price drop or upgrade that he is out sick. With a PVP i can at least call Carnival directly and work it out, but with a TA you can't.

On my current cruise, I look at Carnival EVERY DAY. I started at an interior 4k and moved to a standard balcony and now to an extended balcony, and i have some OBC, though not much. On my last cruise, two price drops within 3 weeks of the cruise. You just don't give up looking.

We've been lucky to have price drops in nearly every Carnival cruise we have taken, but we have never booked with a travel agent, so I was able to take care of it all myself. The price drops back in 2010 were very frequent and quite a lot, but on our cruise this month, there was only one price drop.

I am weary of booking through a travel agent and have never done it. I just had a family member email me today about a cruise we are considering. She tried to book on Carnival's website and then went through her Travel Agent to compare and the travel agent price was nearly $400 more, so it makes me wonder if they are being truthful about prices and price drops and refunds. I'm not sure if that's what happened in your case though.

For the OP: I think your biggest hurdle is your TA, not the OBC issue.

Our last cruise was booked ES which included OBC as part of the new booking. I submitted for 3 separate price drops and was approved all 3 times and my OBC was never touched.

OP: What are the 3 sources of your OBC? Not all OBC is treated the same with regards to price drops!

For example, if it's shareholder credit, you would get to keep it and still get the price drop.

If the OBC was a promo on the rate you booked, most likely you won't get to keep it (though sometimes you met be able to).

I don't think your TA is necessarily giving you the whole story!

I dont book ES expecting to get price drops

Just think of it this way, if you book early saver and don't get any price drops, that means you've booked the lowest price possible for your cruise

Exactly. I don't understand the (tons) of posts complaining about no price drops.

It means you got the best rate. What's to complain about?

Exactly - there is a huge Cruise Critic membership. When members see some threads about price drops, many wrongly assume most are getting drops. WRONG !

Look at the reality, some get price drops, most do not.

The fare of our balcony cabin has gone up $300 before they all sold out = I got a great price !

It has been my experience that the rates drop within two months of the cruise and mostly with the more=merrier rate. We had 5 drops in January for our March cruise. I don't expect any this time since we booked 2 cabins with 2 each. I did receive an early saving offer this month with $100 OBC but it was for new bookings only.

That is what happened to us for our Sunshine cruise. What we paid is the lowest price because the price has only went up since the cruise became available to book.

On our last Breeze cruise, we booked ES and ended up boarding with almost $700 obc. This time, I have $50 obc so far, but the price in my category is now over $400 more than what I paid, so I'm sure there will be no more drops below my original fare. Happy that I booked at such a great rate, but anyone who has had a hefty obc knows how exciting this can be. Hang in there- you never know what could happen- its just so unpeedictable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP: What are the 3 sources of your OBC? Not all OBC is treated the same with regards to price drops!

For example, if it's shareholder credit, you would get to keep it and still get the price drop.

If the OBC was a promo on the rate you booked, most likely you won't get to keep it (though sometimes you met be able to).

I don't think your TA is necessarily giving you the whole story!

My TA has actually been great and used them several times (I also noticed they were at listed here on the CC home page as an accredited TA and sponsor of cruise critic, but I used them prior to that anyways). I actually do get the whole story because they are always very good and explain in full why OBCs tend to get removed, added to, etc.

First, if it doesn't go my way, they will always put in more than one call to Carnival just to double check and also to be sure they are getting the correct info/answer.

Right now, I have 3 OBCs:

1 from Carnival, 1 from the TA and one from a separate promo.

Each one is treated differently.

The separate promo one will always stay on my booking and is never lost.

The one from Carnival...may or may not stay on the booking if I accept a price drop. According to both the TA and Carnival, it really depends on the type of promo. If I opt for the price drop, my existing OBC from Carnival might drop off or might remain..or even in some cases might even remain and I could even get more OBC...again, just depends on the new promo type.

The one from the TA is given out and based on the price bracket and is also controlled by Carnival (the TA cannot just give out any old OBC they want. they are indeed regulated under a contract w/Carnival). In my case, my TA gave me $50 OBC for this booking. If I accept the price drop, it places me in a lower bracket, and I would lose $25 of this particular OBC.

Anyways, thus far, I've chosen to accept these price drops cuz it did me no good since the loss of the OBCs had me coming out even.

My TA did say to just keep checking, especially after final payment (which is in 2 days) where I could get OBC.

The fare of our balcony cabin has gone up $300 before they all sold out = I got a great price !

Same here. Balconies for my Oct 25th cruise on the Dream were up 54% as of yesterday, and as of today, they are sold out. The only thing I was able to price match to was to get the $50 promotional OBC that they offered at one point. But oh well, I never went into it expecting price drops, and in this case, booking early saved me a lot!

Edited by bakersdozen12

On our last cruise this past March, we ended up with multiple price drops, and then $650 OBC. I lost track on how many ES forms I sent in and calls to Carnival. On one of those calls, I actually had one of the reps tell me that 90 days out is typically as low as it goes.