Alaskan Cruise packing need advice?Anyone just back?

Galleon1234

We leave next week. Starting to think about packing. What did you wish you had packed? What did you wear the most during the day? We are on the Jewel doing the RT out of Seattle. Hard to pack for cold when it is so hot in Texas:)!

Try the Alaska board. The folks over there are incredibly helpful and there are MANY packing threads!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

We leave next week. Starting to think about packing. What did you wish you had packed? What did you wear the most during the day? We are on the Jewel doing the RT out of Seattle. Hard to pack for cold when it is so hot in Texas:)!

We recently returned from a fabulous trip on Radiance and we are from South Florida, so get your thinking - going from such a hot place to cool temps! ;) I will say think layers and you truly don't need to overpack! We tended to wear the same things - tshirt - either short or long sleeve depending on temp with sweater (our sweaters aren't real heavy) over that and we had either hoodies/sweatshirts or our waterproof jackets depending on whether there was any rain. If weather looked good, we always just rolled up the jacket and put it in our backpack just in case. We had days that were sunny, then misty/rainy, then sunny again, so be prepared. For bottoms, we took more than we needed - we wore either jeans or waterproof workout type pants for our excursions. We wore sneakers for our excursions or hiking boots that were broken in and comfy - just make sure whatever footwear you are wearing is comfortable! :p As far as on the ship, we did dress up on the 2 formal nights - just shirts/ties for the guys, simple dresses for the girls. All the other nights were casual, so we wore jeans/pants and shirt/sweater for dinner. We did take gloves, scarves, hat (beanie kind to keep head/ears warm!) and we just kept those in our backpacks as well in case we needed them while out and about - which we did here and there and also while on deck while at Hubbard Glacier. Hope this helps and have a fantastic time!! :)

I am jumping on a RT Seattle cruise last min...leaving on the 15th on the Jewel. I just goggled the weather for each port and looks like it will be 65-75 at each port with chances of rain. This is GREAT news! I am glad to read I wont need full on winter wear. Its so much to pack and heavy. I am from PA where it is in the 90s and hot and humid now....how is the humidity in these places (same ports as OP)?

Well said Onefishtwofish. We just returned from a north bound cruise on the Mille and then another week driving ourselves all over. I packed way to many pairs of capris. It was very good weather and we generally wore jeans, either long sleeved or short sleeved tee and took a fleece jacket with us. If we expected rain we tossed in our raincoats. Did not take heavy hiking boots, just wore tennis shoes, even flip flops a couple of days. We are from SC and it is very hot and humid here, the cooler weather and lack of humidity was great. No suits for my husband on formal nights just dress shirt, no tie and I wore a dress, no heels either. The Alaskan cruise was the most relaxed we have ever been on and good not to have to take things that are heavy and take up a lot of room. I did take a very light weight sweater for dinner as the restaurants tend to be cool.

We are just back from a rt from Seattle. I packed way more shorts than were needed. Most days we wore pants, shirt slevved shirts, and a fleece or sweatshirt. In hindsight I wish I had packed more pants and an extra sweatshirt.

Sent from my phone so typing may be suspect

For Alaska I take:

Jeans, 2-3 pair

Capris, 2

Black slacks, 2

3/4 sleeve knit tops, 4

Tops to wear with black slacks, 2

Waterproof windbreaker with hood, 1

Sweatshirt, 1

Thermal underwear shirt & gloves (to wear for glacier viewing)

Tennis shoes, 1pair

Dressy sandles, 1 pair

Flip flops, 1 pair

Swimsuit & coverup (nothing like sitting in the hot tub watching the beautiful scenery go by)

& of course pjs,underwear and socks

Sunscreen and bug spray

Binoculars, camera, extension cord, travel clock and lightweight backpack that folds into a small pouch and a bra stash to pin inside my clothing to carry my room card. Of course we can't forget the airline tickets, boarding docs, credit card, $1 bills for tips and small purchases.

I also try to take with me an attitude of flexability and cheerfulness because no matter what I plan to have a good time.

Just back and wore rain coat and rain pants all day in Juneau and morning in Skagway but had cold and wet feet as shoes not waterproof. Saw many without rain pants but don't want to picture the hours I would have spent in wet cold jeans as well as with cold feet. Needed just sweater/sweatshirt under rain coat except at Tracy arm when I also had a fleece under rain coat. Only changed for dinner 4 out of 7 nights and even on "formal" nights just had on a easy packable travel dress in black with shrug.

If is not raining just jeans, tee shirt and fleece. Wore tennis shoes too. If is rainy take your raincoat. Most boats have the option of going inside too.

I agree with this list except that whether or not it us raining when I leave I like to take my hooded rain jacket in my backpack because the weather can change quickly and unexpectedly and if it is not too cool but just windy on the boat I'll change out the fleece and/or sweatshirt and wear the rain jacket because it helps more as a windbreaker.

Are you able to "generalize" about the weather? My specific question is whether or not it tends to be clear in the morning and misty/rainy in the afternoons or the other way around. For example, when we sail the Caribbean we expect a clear, sunny morning to develop into rain at some point in the afternoon; when in SoCal we expect a hazy grey morning to morph into bright sunshine as the day goes on. I would really appreciate input on this question. TIA

No, you cannot generalize. All of my trips have been different. I have experienced sunshine and 80º with no rain for an entire week (2009) but last week we had rain/showers nearly every day, with constant, all-day rain in Juneau. Even our last sea day, which started out nice and sunny, got foggy and drizzly late in the day, with the fog horn blowing every couple minutes.

I always watch the extended weather forecasts, they they are usually generally right, but I still go prepared for anything and everything.

Did you carry binoculars with you the whole time? Or really not especially needed. We are trying to decide if we each need a pair.

We each took a pair of binoculars and took them with us in each port... and used them. We also used them in Glacier Bay and at other times on the ship when we were looking for whales. I wouldn't go to Alaska without them!

I think the only generalization that can be made about Alaska weather is better to bring layers and be prepared because it is unpredictable.

Totally agree! Best thing is to take things in your backpack, that way you will have them. As we got closer to Nugget Falls at Mendenahall and when we got close to glaciers, it got cooler and we used hats and some of us gloves/scarves and I would say always take that rainjacket/waterproof jacket. There are a lot of rainforests up there as well as weather changes!! Our rainjackets were easy to roll up and put in the backpack and didn't take up much room at all.

My best advice based on experience is to dress in layers. On my last trip I actually used my waterproof pants and jacket quite a bit .......so be prepared for rain. When glacier viewing, it will be cold. I had on base layer underwear and then another shirt and pants over that with a fleece jacket. Also smart wool socks that will keep feet warm and repel moisture. I also will be taking my now old Merrell hiking sneakers with Goretex along with scarf, gloves, and earmuffs or toboggan. If you get convertible pants, then it is easy to convert to shorts if it warms up or if you are doing land excursions not near water or glaciers. Carry a backpack so you can strip down as needed. Don't bring a bulky large coat.....just do LAYERS!

Yes we each have a pair of binoculars. I would recommend that each person have a seperate pair of binoculars although if someone is a photographer they can somwtimes use one of the large zoom lenses in place of the binoculars. In my backpack I carry the bug spray, sunscreen, binoculars, camera, cell phone, $1bills, credit card, my drivers license to use for picture ID (which some ships require to reboard), bottle of water, and whichever layer I am not wearing (fleece/sweatshirt, rainjacket, gloves) and sometimes a few packages of prepackaged peanutbutter crackers. I just usually keep these things packed in my backpack unless I am wearing or using them. It sounds like a long list but it all fits well into a small backpack and all of the items are lightweight. Of course I have to add my room key card after I use it to depart the ship. I take this backpack with me whenever we leave the ship and sometimes I take it out on the deck of the ship if we are viewing scenery or looking for wildlife.