Pre-cruise Paris to Versailles help

SCHappilyRetired

Hello CC experts! We are staying pre-cruise at Hotel Pullman Paris Montparnasse and would like to take a day trip to Versailles. It looks like my closest stations are Metro Gaite and Gare Montparnasse. I down loaded the train lines map (it's a maze to say the least!) and I know I need the "Vick" line "C" on RER.

Can anyone give me directions to get to the line from my hotel? Thank you in advance!

The simplest station is Gaite as that is a simple station and not a rabbit warren like the Gare Montparnasse.

Options are either Gaite line 13 direction St Lazare change at Invalides, or Gare Montparnasse line 6 Direction CDG Etoille change at Bir Hakeim.

It is very simple and if you go to the Information desk at Gaite, they have a number of free maps - A good one is map 2!

and if you meant 'how do I walk to the station'

Turn right out of the front entrance, go to the end of the road.

Gaite is visible on the right.

An entrance to Gare Montparnasse is just before the end of the road on the left.

However Avalon and Ama have desks at the hotel in addition to the standard concierge staff

About 4 years ago I did this trip and took the train, it worked out well because we were there before many of the bus groups arrived.

You'll take the SNCF trains (national Railway) directly from Gare Montparnasse. Do not bother taking the RER trains (these are suburban trains) There was a 15 minute walk from Versailles-Chantiers Station to the Palace of Versailles.

You are staying directly across the street from the Montparnasse Train station. If you want to take the metro there is a station very close by the hotel.

We visited Versailles last March while in Paris, from CDG airport.

You take the RER from the RER/Metro station called Saint Michel / Notre Dame.

Then look out for the sign RER C and take the direction “ Versailles Rive Gauche chateau de Versailles “. This station is the line terminus. Just make sure that you take the correct direction.

Of course, if you are leaving from Montparnasse, you may be able to connect at a station closer to Versailles, since Montparnasse is on the West side of Paris (although sw side)

We visited Versailles in June, taking the train from Paris. Our Museum Pass got us into Versailles free but we booked a 9:40 am apartment tour on the Versailles web site. Cost was very reasonable and well worth it. By doing this you bypass the normal security lines and get a wonderful tour of the apartments which are not part of the normal public tour. The guide provided a great amount of information which made the public tour more enjoyable. We also rented a golf cart to tour the gardens which really saved us from a huge amount of walking. You'll have a wonderful time.

We visited Versailles in June, taking the train from Paris. Our Museum Pass got us into Versailles free but we booked a 9:40 am apartment tour on the Versailles web site. Cost was very reasonable and well worth it. By doing this you bypass the normal security lines and get a wonderful tour of the apartments which are not part of the normal public tour. The guide provided a great amount of information which made the public tour more enjoyable. We also rented a golf cart to tour the gardens which really saved us from a huge amount of walking. You'll have a wonderful time.

Thank you, yes I will be reserving the tour. Did you rent the golf cart before arrival or on site? Cost? Something we are interested in doing. Thank you!