Hotels in Galveston

Finzo4

Can someone help wth a decent hotel in Galveston. Looking for clean and maybe something with transfers to cruise port. I dont want expensive but i dont want a hole in the wall place either. Your input or help in greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cher

Can someone help wth a decent hotel in Galveston. Looking for clean and maybe something with transfers to cruise port. I dont want expensive but i dont want a hole in the wall place either. Your input or help in greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cher

Here is a link to the gulf coast departure board, where there are many posts on hotels and transportation. Our three times sailing out of Galveston, we stayed over on the sea wall where there are many good options. I do not believe there are any that over free transfers, but if I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected by someone.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Edited by jimbo5544

We stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort. It had a nice seafood restaurant within walking distance, it also had shuttle to the port. We were also able to walk across the street to the beach, as well as it having a nice pool. I think it was a bit pricy, but it was a great hotel! If you get a room with a water view it's a huge plus!

Edited to add: The transfer was not free, maybe $6 per person, but you signed up for it when you checked in.

Edited by kelkel2

It also depends entirely on the time of year. When we cruised in June, the hotels were in excess of $200/night. I checked again for a cruise in late August, and the Harbor House (right next to the cruise pier) was $125 versus over $300 in June.

The Gulf Coast board is very helpful. That is where I was told about Texas City, which is about 20 minutes outside of Galveston. We stayed at the Comfort Inn and drove to the port the next morning and parked at the Park N Cruise lot. Since we cruise during spring break, this is a much cheaper option and it worked great. They have a pretty nice free breakfast buffet also. We are doing this again in February.

The Gulf Coast board also has great Galveston hotel info. My choice would be the Harbor House if you can get a good rate--you can see the ship when you wake up that morning!

We stayed at Harbour House at Pier 21 in February this year before our cruise on the Carnival Magic. The hotel was very nice and I would definitely stay there again if we port out of Galveston. We booked from Hotels.com as they were the cheapest and got a rate of $140/night. Hotel is very modern and right on the water. We loved watching the ships come in. The best part was in the morning we just walked to the cruise port. From the airport to hotel we booked a private shuttle and we were suppose to have a suburban but they surprised us with a Limo! Our kids were so excited :) Good luck as finding and deciding on a hotel and transportation was the worst part of porting out of Galveston.

Next year we are porting out of Miami so I can't wait to have something to compare against :)

We stayed at Harbour House at Pier 21 in February this year before our cruise on the Carnival Magic. The hotel was very nice and I would definitely stay there again if we port out of Galveston. We booked from Hotels.com as they were the cheapest and got a rate of $140/night. Hotel is very modern and right on the water. We loved watching the ships come in. The best part was in the morning we just walked to the cruise port. From the airport to hotel we booked a private shuttle and we were suppose to have a suburban but they surprised us with a Limo! Our kids were so excited :) Good luck as finding and deciding on a hotel and transportation was the worst part of porting out of Galveston.

Next year we are porting out of Miami so I can't wait to have something to compare against :)

Which private shuttle did you book?

We used a taxi driver who we had used the night prior to take us to the Cajun Greek for dinner.

The distance from most any hotel to the port is very short so cost of taxi wasn't that bad and we could go on our schedule and not somebody else's.

We staying at that Hilton when it was a Holiday Inn Sunspree. It was just OK, in a nice location but rooms were dated. Hopefully since it is now a Hilton property if might have been renovated.

Thanks Cher

Problem is that all decent hotels in Galveston have doubles price in last few years and many including Hilton now require a 2 night stay before ship leaves. You might want to consider just getting a hotel by the airport and then getting transportation to pier next day. WE stayed at doubletree by Hobby for about 100, nice hotel with restaurant and also bar/lounge and a small outside pool.

Generally, the best combination of price/quality is going to be the hotels right near where I-45 turns into Broadway Avenue as you enter the island. Those are more of your chain, roadside-type of hotels and do not charge a premium price because they are farther from the water. Otherwise, the above poster is correct about looking for chain hotels on the I-45 exits (Texas City, La Marque) before you get into Galveston.

The Hotel Galvez and Tremont House are the nicest hotels in town, but both can get quite pricey.

Generally, the best combination of price/quality is going to be the hotels right near where I-45 turns into Broadway Avenue as you enter the island. Those are more of your chain, roadside-type of hotels and do not charge a premium price because they are farther from the water. Otherwise, the above poster is correct about looking for chain hotels on the I-45 exits (Texas City, La Marque) before you get into Galveston.

The Hotel Galvez and Tremont House are the nicest hotels in town, but both can get quite pricey.

Yes there are sa few hotels over causeway going into Galveston, that are not subject to prime location price demands and therefore less in price. But are also a number of chains and locally owned motels on Seawall Blvd. like Commodore and Gaidos many chains !

I will add the San Luis and Moody Gardens to you're list of better hotels.

Edited by ssb

The Gulf Coast board is very helpful. That is where I was told about Texas City, which is about 20 minutes outside of Galveston. We stayed at the Comfort Inn and drove to the port the next morning and parked at the Park N Cruise lot. Since we cruise during spring break, this is a much cheaper option and it worked great. They have a pretty nice free breakfast buffet also. We are doing this again in February.

The Gulf Coast board also has great Galveston hotel info. My choice would be the Harbor House if you can get a good rate--you can see the ship when you wake up that morning!

Did the Comfort inn have a shuttle? We are going in January and trying to figure out transportation. We are planning on renting a car and stoking it off in Texas city. So still need to figure out how to get to the port from there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Did the Comfort inn have a shuttle? We are going in January and trying to figure out transportation. We are planning on renting a car and stoking it off in Texas city. So still need to figure out how to get to the port from there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

No, it didn't. It worked for us since we drove to the port. I would look on the Gulf Coast board for transportation ideas--I know some people hire private companies. Or maybe even a taxi--it was a very short drive to the port, 20 minutes at most.

There are 2 of us (friends) traveling and staying in Galveston overnight before our cruise. We needed 2 beds and got an excellent rate through hotels.com for Comfort Inn and Suites across the street from the Pleasure Pier - and includes breakfast.

We are staying on that side of Galveston, as well. There were more options for dining, and the hotels were not as overpriced as the ones closer to the cruise terminal. Only the $300/night hotels close to the terminal offer "free" shuttles, we will stay on the other side and pay half the price (and take a $10-15 cab ride in the morning). It's all what you want...and what you are willing to pay, right?