Breakaway / Getaway Fireworks

Then they did a better job on the GA. There were like 4 crewmembers in 80's costumes and they hardly played any 80s music.

Was your BA a Bermuda trip? Maybe summer/Caribbean was just a different crowd. The evening started with a thriller dance class in h20 that I stumbled into, then word spread about upcoming 80s party and the place filled up like crazy, THEN they announced the party/fireworks shipwide and started up the videos. I needed to get down one deck at one point and it was literally wall to wall bodies trying to escape h20. They admittedly went out of their way to get people up there, but most people on that sailing seemed happy / upbeat.

Was your BA a Bermuda trip? Maybe summer/Caribbean was just a different crowd. The evening started with a thriller dance class in h20 that I stumbled into, then word spread about upcoming 80s party and the place filled up like crazy, THEN they announced the party/fireworks shipwide and started up the videos. I needed to get down one deck at one point and it was literally wall to wall bodies trying to escape h20. They admittedly went out of their way to get people up there, but most people on that sailing seemed happy / upbeat.

Yes, it was a Bermuda trip, and yes, it was packed, but it was hardly an 80's party. If you're going to advertize it as such, don't pull a bait and switch with a half-hearted attempt. If you don't care about any of that, then it was a success.

I've seen quite a few priced-out DCL folks jumping over to GA/BA recently (on DIS). This is a mistake if NCL wants those ex-Disney dollars. Yes it's *just* one thing but it all adds up.

(I really enjoyed the fireworks on GA last month timed to 1980s hair metal bands, it was a highlight of my cruise, just a very fun night.)

Yeah. I feel like a bit of a dork now, talking up the great product on NCL to my DH, mom, and sister. I know DCL is special and wasn't going to be replicated on NCL, but it's getting old updating my family on the things that are disappearing.

*no free Illusionarium first night

*charges for room service

*increases in DSC

*NO FIREWORKS now.

AND - the NCL naysayers on DIS will enjoy this. :o

What cracks me up on this is that someone posts something that they have heard and people debate is it true is it not true, I don't know, I will wait for firsthand blah blah blah.

Hasn't everyone learned by now that every time there is a rumor and someone posts it is always confirmed and true in the end.

Well, I guess I'm glad I could crack you up. I guess you came for the laughs, rather than to be helpful.

Yeah. I feel like a bit of a dork now' date=' talking up the great product on NCL to my DH, mom, and sister. I know DCL is special and wasn't going to be replicated on NCL, but it's getting old updating my family on the things that are disappearing.

*increases in DSC

*NO FIREWORKS now.

AND - the NCL naysayers on DIS will enjoy this. :o[/quote']

Yeah. I'm a weird place because I loved my GA cruise, but I also know when a company is being too obnoxious and unsubtle with their cost-cutting, and it's difficult to defend some of this stuff. I keep asking people who have been cruising longer than I have (on this very forum, in fact) if this level of change that negatively impacts the customer, all in a six month period, is 'normal' in the cruising game; I get the sense it isn't.

DCL's base price is through the roof, and they've raised prices on adult dining (and it looks like another hike is pending...this morning in my reservation it won't reveal the price of Palo, just "Pending"), but other than the silly pillowcase signature thing I don't *think* they've taken anything away.

And the bottom line is ... after September I don't have cruises booked on either line. One is too expensive and the other is too erratic.

And the bottom line is ... after September I don't have cruises booked on either line. One is too expensive and the other is too erratic.

Samesies. Priced out of DCL, shaken out of NCL. But, for those of us fortunate enough to live within driving distance of 3 major ports, we can hope a last-minute deal will open up with DCL or RCCL. But no plans as of yet.

Yeah. I feel like a bit of a dork now' date=' talking up the great product on NCL to my DH, mom, and sister. I know DCL is special and wasn't going to be replicated on NCL, but it's getting old updating my family on the things that are disappearing.

*increases in DSC

*NO FIREWORKS now.

AND - the NCL naysayers on DIS will enjoy this. :o[/quote']

We're booked B2B on the Escape next May. I still am perfectly okay with this. No fireworks isn't a big loss for me. (Not sure if they were even going to do them on the Escape.). We watched them on the Wonder this past May only because it was my inlaw's first Disney cruise. Prior to that I couldn't tell you the last time I've made the effort to go. Just not interesting enough to me anymore....which is primarily why we are pushing to try other lines/ships. Lack of interest in what Disney does. They never change anything. Not even menus. ***yawn*** I won't overspend like a zealot on the few *new* itinerary offerings they come up with so here I am, excited as can be for something new, interesting, and fun!

So, I think all the folks jumping ship over on Disney might not be put off from NCL that easily. Many are looking for different experiences, ports, etc. Those that defend the mouse to the bitter end are not. It's that simple.

Don't feel like you're letting your family down. You aren't! You're expanding your horizons, seeking new adventures and experiences. If you never try something new you'll never know what else this world has to offer. Adventure is out there!

So, I think all the folks jumping ship over on Disney might not be put off from NCL that easily. Many are looking for different experiences, ports, etc. Those that defend the mouse to the bitter end are not. It's that simple.

We're by far anti-pixie dust BS type of family. We came to NCL as per some of the reasons you cite above: they barely change anything and their itineraries are "meh" at best. But we also have very high expectations for entertainment and programming for kids. We were not expecting DCL-quality entertainment on other lines, of course, and it's not just this one change. It's the sum of all the little changes that just made us cancel two reservations we had with them.

Had NCL not change so many things since we reserved merely 3-4 months ago, we would not be having this conversation.

Yeah. I'm a weird place because I loved my GA cruise, but I also know when a company is being too obnoxious and unsubtle with their cost-cutting, and it's difficult to defend some of this stuff. I keep asking people who have been cruising longer than I have (on this very forum, in fact) if this level of change that negatively impacts the customer, all in a six month period, is 'normal' in the cruising game; I get the sense it isn't.

DCL's base price is through the roof, and they've raised prices on adult dining (and it looks like another hike is pending...this morning in my reservation it won't reveal the price of Palo, just "Pending"), but other than the silly pillowcase signature thing I don't *think* they've taken anything away.

Stay the course. This dust will settle eventually. I'm new to the NCL thing so purely from an outsider's perspective it looks like quite a bit of restructuring going on. I'm trying to keep my mind open to that.

As far as DCL's pricing, I'm feeling precariously on the edge of zealot if I keep forking that over for things I've seen & done until I'm bored with it. When you go into every meal trying to think up ways to customize dishes just to have something different...including the upcharge venues....yeah...it's time. When you could practically teach the mixology classes because you've had or made every drink in the lineup multiple times....it's time. When you stop going to shows, think a 5 family line for a character is too long to bother, find yourself contemplating a flying elbow just to get a piece of itinerary-specific merchandise because it's something different....so many things....it's definitely time. I'm commited to the Dream cruises this year and next with my group of friends purely for the company. Beyond those 2, I'm not sure I'll continue shelling out to cruise with the girls. I'd rather roll solo somewhere new & interesting for my annual mom-escape. It's the same reason I stopped going to WDW. Wasn't enough things different to keep me interested...then they did the whole MM+ and that's a straight NO. LOL!

No fireworks? Okay. I'm good.

BTW, if people think the $12/day auto-grat on Disney is what it will be forever they've got another think coming. There's this thing called inflation. LOL! Eventually even Mickey is gonna have to raise those gratuities. Then there will be a big fluff and many will say "I'm out" but they won't really jump ship. I predict a raising of the auto-grat there sooner than later, too. With the addition of auto-grat to the upcharge restaurants not that long ago, I wouldn't be at all shocked if a higher auto-grat is placed on the concierge level staterooms as well much like the structure NCL has adopted. I don't see that being out of line at all. Additional staff & service warrants it. But oh won't the heads be rolling when/if it happens. Makes me laugh eeeeeeevery time!

Samesies. Priced out of DCL, shaken out of NCL. But, for those of us fortunate enough to live within driving distance of 3 major ports, we can hope a last-minute deal will open up with DCL or RCCL. But no plans as of yet.

Yeah, now that I've seen how things roll (only six months into this and one cruise under my belt) I'm not going to become one of those people who books cruises 12-24 months out. I like knowing what I'm paying for. I did my GA cruise with five days' notice and it doesn't seem like the price was much different from what I'd pay for that same studio room six or twelve months in the future right now (if anything it was cheaper). So there is no advantage to me trusting them that far in advance.

EDIT: sweetpee_1993 I just saw your reply above this one. I believe I've chatted with you on DIS (aren't we on the same sailing, even?) and I appreciate your input. The other bottom line is that I DID love my first cruise and I'm not going to stop, I am just giving these companies the side-eye a bit. :)

Edited by perditax

Are there honestly people that booked an entire cruise simply because of a 5 minute fireworks show, that might or might not have happened anyway because of the wind? Seriously? I'll send you a box of bottle rockets right now. It wasn't any big deal at all.

Agree

While the fireworks were a nice little 10 minute diversion for us and my college kids enjoyed

We see better at our high school football field. Lol

It's just a cost cutting measure but really don't worry it's no big loss

The more I think of it the less impressed/intrigued I am that we even sailed the ba...although spice and uptown are great places

We only cruised her because it fit all of our usual criteria for a cruise

Great rock bottom price..... It was jan ...12 night....true ksf

Great timing.....college kids off so we left the other kids at home with dad

Great ports....6 incredible southern and eastern Carib ports

Ship was very very nice don't get me wrong.....but the reality is we got lucky to sail a new mega ship.....but only because it fit our criteria

We didn't book just so we could sail the ba

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We won't cancel. But this sucks. It was something I thoroughly enjoyed on DCL last year & I'm a huge fireworks fan in general.

Ugh.

I booked this past March for next May. It seems like every month something is removed or there is a fee increase.

The cruise better be amazing or we'll be one-and-done for NCL.

I am booked on the Breakaway for this coming December 13, 2015....and i am wondering what next will be cancelled, or a price increase before i sail...I have seen the prices increase, taking away niceloldeaon, seeing a charge tacked on for room service....raising the DSC....what will be next? Now the Fireworks Display....which i could take or leave....but it was a nice thing to do...and was looking forward to seeing them, but i am not pouting over it.... what bothers me is, what else is going to happen between now and December....and by then, it will be too late to cancel out the cruise, as my finial payment is due September 29, 2015.... I have a cruise booked for October 15, 2016 on a repositioning cruise on the Gem....and i definitely am thinking on cancelling it, and going back to RCCL..... too many increases to suit me....look at the DSC....they increased that charge twice within the past six months.... what else is going to be increased????

Pyrotechnics never belonged on cruise ships because fire is the most dangerous thing to happen to a cruise ship while at sea. When I did the Trans-Atlantic crossing on the Breakaway some of the embers from the fireworks landed on the deck we were standing on. If it landed lower and items were out on the balconies that shouldn't be, we would be looking at the Star Princess fire all over again. I'm rather happy they're gone but what guest experience will be replaced by it? It seems like this is an idea to cutback further and for what?

I'm wondering what the next big announcement in August will be but I think that has more to do with an Asia deployment than any new features to the ship in lieu of fireworks, cancelled Nickelodeon programming and a high end restaurant not overseen by a quality chef (Geoffrey's departure). I wonder when Carlo's Bake Shop's contract is up... I bet that'll disappear too. :cool:

I'm wondering what the next big announcement in August will be but I think that has more to do with an Asia deployment than any new features to the ship in lieu of fireworks, cancelled Nickelodeon programming and a high end restaurant not overseen by a quality chef (Geoffrey's departure). I wonder when Carlo's Bake Shop's contract is up... I bet that'll disappear too. :cool:

A big factor that tipped us over to cancel is that they are not replacing things they are taking away. No fireworks, alright put in place a laser/screen show or an outdoor production. Not Nick theminng, alright tell me how you will replace it. But as of now it just seems they are trying to cut on costs, while providing nothing to replace them.

Stay the course. This dust will settle eventually. I'm new to the NCL thing so purely from an outsider's perspective it looks like quite a bit of restructuring going on. I'm trying to keep my mind open to that.

As far as DCL's pricing, I'm feeling precariously on the edge of zealot if I keep forking that over for things I've seen & done until I'm bored with it. When you go into every meal trying to think up ways to customize dishes just to have something different...including the upcharge venues....yeah...it's time. When you could practically teach the mixology classes because you've had or made every drink in the lineup multiple times....it's time. When you stop going to shows, think a 5 family line for a character is too long to bother, find yourself contemplating a flying elbow just to get a piece of itinerary-specific merchandise because it's something different....so many things....it's definitely time. I'm commited to the Dream cruises this year and next with my group of friends purely for the company. Beyond those 2, I'm not sure I'll continue shelling out to cruise with the girls. I'd rather roll solo somewhere new & interesting for my annual mom-escape. It's the same reason I stopped going to WDW. Wasn't enough things different to keep me interested...then they did the whole MM+ and that's a straight NO. LOL!

No fireworks? Okay. I'm good.

BTW, if people think the $12/day auto-grat on Disney is what it will be forever they've got another think coming. There's this thing called inflation. LOL! Eventually even Mickey is gonna have to raise those gratuities. Then there will be a big fluff and many will say "I'm out" but they won't really jump ship. I predict a raising of the auto-grat there sooner than later, too. With the addition of auto-grat to the upcharge restaurants not that long ago, I wouldn't be at all shocked if a higher auto-grat is placed on the concierge level staterooms as well much like the structure NCL has adopted. I don't see that being out of line at all. Additional staff & service warrants it. But oh won't the heads be rolling when/if it happens. Makes me laugh eeeeeeevery time!

:)

I only wish I'd had as many DCL cruises it would take to have reached my saturation point. :) I see the do same things over and over... but I really want to do them a little.

This was the year for NCL b/c at the time we sail my kids will age up in pairs nicely if they want to check out the clubs. We'll like the slides.

But I've learned (from CC) that all "Private Islands" are not equal, and we will likely disembark acknowledging we missed a little of the Disney Magic.

I just don't want anymore surprises...

Stay the course. This dust will settle eventually.

This makes no sense whatsoever. We're customers, not participants. We have plenty options out there. Why "stay the course"? Find some other cruise line, then if and when the dust settles consider NCL again. "Stay the course" is for the crew, for employees, or the country in times of toil etc. Not for consumers or customers wanting to get the most of their vacation.

I'm hearing rumors from folks on both ships that fireworks are ending soon, as early as 8/1/15. Did anyone else hear anything about this? CC doesn't have an article but it's been speculated by people on those ships for two weeks and now today a date was thrown out there saying this week was the last week.

Anyone know?

I'm not sure what is going on but this was posted to Youtube on 18 Jul 15. It's awesome to watch and see behind the scenes!

I'd be really disappointed to see no more fireworks!

Asked my PCC was or was it not a rumor and here is the response:

As of August 1, 2015 Fireworks are no longer offered onboard. It’s technically-challenging to execute and takes a very large amount of manpower and we want to ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible.

So sad!

You know what else gets me? If it weren't for CC' date=' we'd just show up for the cruise and wonder what happened to the fireworks. And room service.[/quote']

Yes. I think there's something to be said about NCL not being forthcoming about these things either. Were it not because of people reporting stuff to CC, we would have ben caught by surprise by the many things amiss that we assumed would be there.

You are actually correct. His cakes are way overpriced and stale by day 3. Also, Like the gelato stand It is never busy. Get rid of both and open a H[emoji102]TERS [emoji3]

Better chance of this happening on Carnival than NCL [emoji12]

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm not about to read 5 pages but I will add my opinion that I won't miss the fireworks. It was crowded, windy and my uppermost thought was the toxic debris falling into the ocean, adding yet another layer to the flotilla of pollution in the water. It's nice for people to believe the debris was non-toxic but I would think non-toxic materials would not burn, imho.

The fireworks at Disney are better and the fireworks at my local Single A baseball stadium for July 4 also beat the ships.

So far there have been a lot of changes, and yes, I am mostly reading them here as opposed to getting any kind of information from NCL concerning my February 2016 booking but I am reserving any judgement until after said cruise. Of one thing I am certain: I will be with DH and we will enjoy our vacation!