Breakaway / Getaway Fireworks

Our shore excursions went up another five dollars this week. That is now $25 higher. I had not wanted to book this far out as it is giving $800 of money for others to use for months.

The costs are seeking up. This is just one day and the only way to do this trip is through ncl.

I am not sure about the rationale of '... we want to ensure we're focusing on the best overall guest experience possible.' How is less than what we thought we were getting a better overall guest experience....less is more? :rolleyes:

That seems like what we are getting lately. :(

A big factor that tipped us over to cancel is that they are not replacing things they are taking away. No fireworks, alright put in place a laser/screen show or an outdoor production. Not Nick theminng, alright tell me how you will replace it. But as of now it just seems they are trying to cut on costs, while providing nothing to replace them.

I agree. Where are the replacements? What are we getting instead? All questions I have as well during these "for your convenience" cutbacks. It's one thing to say you are doing away with something (well, honestly, we don't even get that...they tell us nothing and everything is trickling down the grapevine only to find out on here instead) but at least have something else in place to offer so that it softens the blow. You wouldn't have so many upset customers.

We absolutely had a blast during the 80's show, dancing and watching the fireworks. It was an awesome night for us on the Getaway last year. We dressed up, the place was packed and dancing the night away...lots of participation! The CD and the staff was all dressed up and stayed there half the night. They even had their own "little show" as well. They may not be the greatest fireworks you've ever seen, but definitely a different kind of experience. Not only did our little ones love it, but we did too. I mean how many cruises can you say you had fireworks? We will never sail Disney...just not worth it to us for the price. We'll do a land vacation for that.

I'm really disappointed that we will not get to see them on the BA in October. It will be my oldest sons first cruise with us (he hasn't been since he was a teen and he'll be 29 on this cruise) and I was bragging to him about the fireworks not too long ago. Too bad. :(

After this cruise in October, I think I'm done with NCL for awhile. There's just too many changes going on (although most have not affected me, it's just how it's done with no notice) that I think I will wait until things settle down and see how it goes. It's too bad though. I really liked their product and freestyle and (I might add) Kevin too. He was such a nice man and so friendly and down to earth.

Imo I don't think it's the cutting of the fireworks per se that people are upset with. Yes, they were nice but nothing over the top.

What it is is another cutback to add to the already changing list in the last few months.

Raising prices for less product ,all in the argument for our convenience and to enhance our experience. How dense do they think their customers are?

Las Vegas hotels went that route also with the resort fee. They touted it as You wanted it so we listened!! For your convenience we will now have a resort fee to enhance the customers experience! Those resort fees have not gone away. In fact, they continue to raise them. At some hotels the resort fees are almost the same price as a nights stay.

Sorry, that's a lame excuse. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay more money for less of an experience and I'm not talking the fireworks.

It's all the changes the last few months. Every week, heck almost every day it's another change or cutback.

We're sailing the Jewel in December, not sure if that's the last one with NCL or not. It depends how much has changed on board and the entire experience. This will be our 4th cruise with NCL. I like them but hate all these changes in such a short time.

I know Disney has been doing it for years, but it really is a safety hazard to shoot fireworks off of a moving vessel at sea. Even not moving, with the wind, it's not the smartest thing to do.

Hardly anyone responded to your post, I actually agree with you. Pretty much what everyone is saying on here is safety hazard be damned we need big boomies in the sky. Then there are others whining my kids love fireworks okay I'm sure they will love something else then.

All I can say is that I am glad I got to see fireworks at sea once in my life ;)

Pretty cool and I imagine it is lots of work. But it did add lots of life to the 80's party. Seeing purple fireworks go off in the middle of the ocean during Prince's Purple Rain song was pretty cool :eek:

Edited by david_sobe

All I can say is that I am glad I got to see fireworks at sea once in my life ;)

Pretty cool and I imagine it is lots of work. But it did add lots of life to the 80's party. Seeing purple fireworks go off in the middle of the ocean during Prince's Purple Rain song was pretty cool :eek:

I thought they were great too. Somehow the sparkle of seeing them again is gone, if they are gone. Some people here say it makes no difference to them, but it does to many of us. But, then again, extra gratuities at specialty eateries makes no difference to me as I won't spend extra money to eat when the food otherwise is already paid for in the cruise fare.

I always wondered how NCL or Disney, or any other line that may do it, is able to launch fireworks off of a ship. I'd imagine they could easily be mistaken for distress flares? How did they get clearance for that?

Maybe ChengP75 can chime in with some knowledge for us all.

The fireworks are fairly elaborate. I don't think they would be mistaken for a simple distress flare.

As for clearance, I'm guessing its all been cleared through the US Coast Guard as well the various insurance agencies that insure the ships. No doubt many precautions have to be taken to meet the insurance regulations as well as any Coast Guard requirements. Obviously it can be done as it has for many years now, and quite safely at that.

I always wondered how NCL or Disney, or any other line that may do it, is able to launch fireworks off of a ship. I'd imagine they could easily be mistaken for distress flares? How did they get clearance for that?

Fireworks are very different from flares used for signaling (at least here in Finland there are always some morons firing red emergency flares (rockets) at new years and those are very very distinguishable as they burn significantly longer than fireworks).

So no clearance is needed for fireworks - otherwise one wouldn't be able to shoot any fireworks anywhere within couple of miles from any water area.

All these changes are really disheartening. We had such a great cruise in BA in June that I bought two FCC's one for me and hubby and one for a Christmas present for my daughter and her boyfriend who are planning like us to go to Bermuda in 2017.

But the icing on the cake is my younger daughter going May 1, 2016 on the BA with her boyfriends family. They have been exclusive to Royal Caribbean and are trying NCL for the first time to be able to get more time in Bermuda and a longer cruise. They booked before we cruised and since then they have lost 2 hours in Bermuda, had an increase in DSC and are now loosing fireworks. I know it is not the end of the world but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth BEFORE you even step onboard.

Any more changes and I might just jump ship to Celebrity and sell my FCC's. :(

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

I don't believe for a minute the elimination of fireworks on NCL has anything to do with safety. They have been performed safely for over a decade on Disney and continue to be. The same is true of the operation on GETAWAY and BREAKAWAY. This is purely about profits. Another example of the cuts NCL is making (along with fee increases) but absolutely nothing to enhance the customer experience.

I've experienced the fireworks shows on both Disney and NCL and enjoyed them. Those on Disney were better and more elaborate, but the 80's party with fireworks on GETAWAY was a lot of fun too with a great turnout. It's unfortunate for those that won't get to see them, but just one of many things going away on NCL under the new management.