San Diego & USS Midway tour

djwho

I'm hoping people from San Diego can advise.

I'm flying into San Diego, figure by the time I get to the hotel (Ramada/St. James) 1:30 p.m. at the latest.

I'm hoping someone can advise how long it would take to tour of this ship? I believe it closes at 4:00.

Thanks

Takes as long as you want it to be.

We would have found two hours to be too short. The Island takes 30 minutes on its own.

If the Midway doesn't work out, check out the Maritime Museum. It's just north of the cruise dock. Several ships and boats. They just got a replica of a 1500's sailing ship. Don't know when it's going on display.

Edited by SadieN

It appears that is the Ramada Gaslamp location? If so, it shows a 20 minute one mile walk.

The Midway's website shows the last admission is at 4:00 and it closes at 5:00. I've read that sometimes there is a wait to get into the island however haven't experienced delays elsewhere. If you could arrive by about 2:00 that should be enough time to tour the ship. Decades ago I was assigned to the Midway's catapult crew for a couple of years & it took me a while to find my way around the ship. Although they didn't have tours available so it should be easier to navigate now. ;)

http://www.midway.org/

Edited by Astro Flyer

The hotel is 10 minutes from the airport. I would leave my bags at the hotel and do the full check-in later. It's arguably faster to walk to the Midway versus taking a taxi, as long as you're mobile.

I've been there 3-4 times. IMO, 2 hours for a very fast "skim", 4 hours for the highlights, and all day for a good visit. Even friends who aren't too keen on that sort of stuff end up fascinated. Most of the docents served on the Midway and have interesting stories to tell.

I've been there 3-4 times. IMO, 2 hours for a very fast "skim", 4 hours for the highlights, and all day for a good visit. Even friends who aren't too keen on that sort of stuff end up fascinated. Most of the docents served on the Midway and have interesting stories to tell.

We've done four visits to the Midway and we always spend most of the day there, arriving just after it opens and leaving about 3 or 4 PM. The included guided audio tour is excellent, and the little cafe on the fantail offers some nice sandwiches. Given the size of the Midway I can't imagine how a two hour visit could do it justice, but we have seen folks with the all day trolley stickers come running through.

I will have to say I went on the USS Midway in 2011 while wife was at a conference and before our 5 day cruise to Cabo on CCL. I got there at opening and spent almost the entire day before walking back to convention center to meet my wife. I think an entire day is truly needed to explore this ship!

• 2 weeks later...