Alaska in Sept

2Yanks

Hi, since you live there, please comment on what the hours are for daylight in early September. We are sailing from Seeattle on 9/6/2015..will be at Ketchikan on 9/8/15 from 6:30am - 3:00pm; Juneau on 9/9 from 12:30pm to 10:00pm; Skagway on 9/10 from 7:00am - 5:00pm.... I spoke to a lady yesterday afternoon in Juneau, she said it was 57 and rainy. She said it had been a very rainy summer.

daylight hours are easily accessed on-line. Just plug the town into this grid:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/Alaska.asp

Weather happens ... it will be what it will be. All you can do is pack appropriately. Pack layers ,including a waterproof jacket and take a small daypack to store your layers in case the weather changes during the day.

Hi, since you live there, please comment on what the hours are for daylight in early September. We are sailing from Seeattle on 9/6/2015..will be at Ketchikan on 9/8/15 from 6:30am - 3:00pm; Juneau on 9/9 from 12:30pm to 10:00pm; Skagway on 9/10 from 7:00am - 5:00pm.... I spoke to a lady yesterday afternoon in Juneau, she said it was 57 and rainy. She said it had been a very rainy summer.

Dark is going to be around 7pm. I've sailed this timeframe- many times, including again last year. Always the same. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

daylight hours are easily accessed on-line. Just plug the town into this grid:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/Alaska.asp

Weather happens ... it will be what it will be. All you can do is pack appropriately. Pack layers ,including a waterproof jacket and take a small daypack to store your layers in case the weather changes during the day.

thanks, I have bookmarked the site. Not really caring about the weather...I am pretty flexible...I live in the Midwest! LOL

Dark is going to be around 7pm. I've sailed this timeframe- many times, including again last year. Always the same. :)

Thanks Mz. BQ, you are always so helpful to so many. I really appreciate your willingness to answer questions that I am sure you have seen/answered a bazillion time before.

Hey BudgetQueen, or anyone else,

Question about clothing --

Ok, I get the layered thing due to the weather; I'm used to shorts during the day; smart casual for dinner (Caribbean attire).

What is normal for during the day in Alaska? Jeans? Dockers? From all the weather concerns, it seems shorts are out of the question -- but I'm also worried about my packing (weight of my suitcases) if I need 10 pairs of jeans and another 10 pairs of 'Smart Casual' dress pants, that's a lot of weight.

Suggestions for the daytime?

Kirk

Hey BudgetQueen' date=' or anyone else,

Question about clothing --

Ok, I get the layered thing due to the weather; I'm used to shorts during the day; smart casual for dinner (Caribbean attire).

What is normal for during the day in Alaska? Jeans? Dockers? From all the weather concerns, it seems shorts are out of the question -- but I'm also worried about my packing (weight of my suitcases) if I need 10 pairs of jeans and another 10 pairs of 'Smart Casual' dress pants, that's a lot of weight.

Suggestions for the daytime?

Kirk[/quote']

I've never worn shorts in Alaska, but some people like them. I would not bring any more than a couple pair. IF you are taking about a 2 week trip, cut your pants numbers in half. Do LAUNDRY, it's your best friend in travel. :) Even when I'm gone over a month, I still only have ONE bag (and not one of the jumbo ones either) for two people. I do not have any flight baggage limits- can take 6 checked bags between us. I can manage all my travels far better packing light, a significant advantage for me. I am a multi time cruiser, with over 100 cruises- I haven't done formal night in at least 10 years.

We are all different, just my traveling style.

IF you are taking about a 2 week trip, cut your pants numbers in half. Do LAUNDRY, it's your best friend in travel. :)

I agree completely--that's a lot of pants and they're bulky. I'm willing to spend an hour or two doing laundry to avoid traveling with too much stuff.

Even when I'm gone over a month, I still only have ONE bag (and not one of the jumbo ones either) for two people.

That's less than we manage--we "allow" ourselves each one carry-on and one day bag (camera bag, purse or day backpack) for a long trip. We actually some times end up with a bit more for a cruise since we do like formal night.

I haven't done formal night in at least 10 years. We are all different, just my traveling style.

I know some people don't like formal nights, but I love dressing up and love the way my husband looks in a tux ;) so we dress up for formal night!

you need 2 pairs of jeans...one black that is good looking.....and pair of nice dressier pants......and undergarment that you can layer, and over garment that you can layer and a windproof raincoat....Most raincoats are windproof. They sell them here in Costco for 19.99.....just bought one for an Italian cruise....sweater....bring a pair of gloves and a hat if you are not Alaskan or from Maine or Minnesota.....or etc......don't need fancy hiking shoes....I bring carry on....it works just perfect....tip....if you have anytime dining, no ones knows if you had the same pair of pants or shirt on the night before unless you dribble your wine....and then there is a washing machine...or heaven forbid....you can send it out or wash it by hand....:).....go light.....really light....it can be done...hone injun....even if it isn;t politically correct....these days...

Twenty pairs of pants/jeans?!? Good heavens. A couple pairs of jeans and a couple pairs of casual slacks for dinner, and maybe one nicer for formal night is the max you would need. Everyone is different but I can't even imagine wearing jeans just once and then on to the next pair. Worst case (if this is a longer trip) - send out for some laundry once or twice - it is not that expensive. No one knows (and more importantly no one CARES) if you wear the same pants multiple times. And if you happen upon someone who does, then you will never ever see them again anyway and why would you care what they thought. I am not trying to be mean here - just practical. Heck, I am female and I bring exactly two pairs of dress slacks for a 7-10 day trip and wear them every night with different tops - and for the record I usually wear at least some of the tops more than once per cruise.

....... but I'm also worried about my packing (weight of my suitcases) if I need 10 pairs of jeans and another 10 pairs of 'Smart Casual' dress pants' date=' that's a lot of weight.

[/quote']Definitely not.

Just 2 of each - maybe 3 at most.

On some ships nice jeans are acceptable as 'Smart Casual' for dinner, so would really only need the dress pants for formal night.

Good advice here from phoenix_dream, rotating one pair to wear while the other is out for laundry or dry cleaning.

Same for shirts and other tops; but most would want to bring a few extras for variety as they are light and take little space.

While there are some passengers who like to spend their cruise vacation time doing laundry, I am not one of them, preferring to pack light and make good use of the laundry and dry cleaning services provided by the ship.