Anthem Review (sailed 18th July 2015 - 14 Nights)

Were you able to book the All Access Tour in advance of sailing via your Cruise Planner (if so, about how far out?), or was it strictly book on board?

Booked it in advance as places are limited and sell fast. The activities were listed first then nearer the time in appeared. About 30 days prior to sailing. Keep checking once a week. I think someone on my rollcall page told me it was available.

Booked it in advance as places are limited and sell fast. The activities were listed first then nearer the time in appeared. About 30 days prior to sailing. Keep checking once a week. I think someone on my rollcall page told me it was available.

Thanks, it's very helpful to know that the Tour was listed later. I will keep checking. Much appreciated!

Thanks for your review, it is really useful.

Just wondering, did you get any gifts on the All-Access tour? We are going on it on our 15th Aug Anthem cruise, and I know my kids will love to get souvenirs!

Do you know if you are allowed to get sandwiches etc from the cafes to take with you on shore excursions?

Thanks for your review, it is really useful.

Just wondering, did you get any gifts on the All-Access tour? We are going on it on our 15th Aug Anthem cruise, and I know my kids will love to get souvenirs!

Do you know if you are allowed to get sandwiches etc from the cafes to take with you on shore excursions?

We got a special gift on the all access tour. Not telling you what, so it's a surprise.

You can't take food off the ship but crisps were allowed, as they are sealed.

Who is Magic Mike? We had Joff on board.

Yeah Joff was CD (and he was "splendid")

Mike was one of the entertainment staff. He was leader for our behind the scenes tour and did a few of the quizs in the Schooner bar. One of those amazing coincidences, he's also from around our neck of the woods. We were talking about local pubs. I promised to buy him a pint if we saw him in the Eliz.

e77757e3662f4112f950baec3602e4ec.jpg

Edited by papcx

All back from Party, went great, but I'm not reviewing that so back to the proper stuff.

Such a hot day today. Depending on where you went it was from 32-45 degrees C (can't do F). We went and did the Jerez and Horse Show. This was a great little journey to the town of Jerez and we saw the dancing horses school and a show. If you travelled on your own, you wouldn't have got in as it was sold out. Only those on the ship tour had reserved seats. All seats had a great view and worth the money. I personally felt like the horses didn't seem happy but that could have just been me and they were treated really well. The rest of the tour around Tio Pepe and learning about Spanish Sherry (Wine) was made was really good and had time to shop afterwards as well as a tasting session.

This evening we did Chops Grill. I have seen this venue on other ships but always dined in the MDR. But because we were moving around every night, we thought to give it a try. Great venue and the best wild mushroom soup ever. (We later met and thanked him personally for such a great soup). Service was brilliant, as was in two minds on a starter and they gave me both so I could try them both. I managed to confuse the poor waitress, as I said I'm saving room for Pudding. She said "we don't have any puddings on the menu." This then confused me as we had already seen them on the app and on the TV menu system (great for planning when someone is getting ready). Then had to explain that we call desserts puddings, she was thinking of things like sticky toffee pudding, which they didn't have. Will now book into a chops grill on our next cruise even if no dynamic dining available. This is what RCCL had planned and I did what they wanted.

This day we wanted to try something different so went for the Segway in Lisbon's historic Alfama. You got a good 20-30 minutes training on the segway before you went off as a group for the guided tour, stopping at various points and got told the history of the town. The segway was very easy to pick up and control. After going around for 20 minutes after practise, the confidence grew and I found it very easy to control. Some people struggled, but as I ride a motorcycle everyday at home, this was easier to understand and do. I didn't want to walk again and use a segway for every time I had to travel somewhere. They were restricted to only a maximum speed of 10mph for us tourists. The cobble streets and hills, were made light work of by using a segway and I wouldn't have enjoyed walking around as much as using one of these vehicles instead.

So on future cruise's I will be seeing where else in the world I can segway around.

This evening we should have been eating in Chic, which we swapped with tomorrows venue of Silk. But we didn't eat in Silk either. Earlier on I was in a competition on Day 6 and mentioned I won a free meal at Jamie's Italian. So this is when we took that offer and ate in here again. Loved every bit of it. Also we know all the staff in here from the two70 lunch/breakfast service. So we were chatting to all members as if it was our local restaurant and were a familiar face. This made Jamie's feel more homely than it already does. Food was perfect and tasted better being free.

After this we went and watched the Gift. NO I have already had words with someone on another app site for saying "DON'T see the gift as I didn't understand it". That's like saying don't watch opera as I don't speak Italian and it's not good because I don't don't know what's going on.

The truth is the singing is excellent (done by the WWRY cast), the dancing is excellent, the props and scenery used is excellent. The only issue is the story. As it is something brand new and never tried before, some people don't get it. I was one of them. It doesn't flow as a story and is just random scenes that need a narrative to help the viewer, through the journey they are trying to tell. So go and see it, it is free and you might not be doing something else at that time.

It is enjoyable but leaves you thinking, did that make sense or am I just not getting it.

Vigo is a lovely port and Spain is a lovely place to visit, but we buggered off back to Portugal on the Border Country tour. This messed with alot of peoples heads, as when ordering drinks that evening,

we were asked "Did you go ashore today?"

replied "Yes"

"Where did you go?" they would ask next.

We said "Portugal!"

"But that was yesterday, we are in Spain today??" with a puzzled look on their face.

"We are in Spain, but we went to Portugal!" and then explained how close to the border (about 30 minutes drive) we are and that we went back across to Portugal. This happened with about 7 staff and guests when asking the same question. We amused ourselves with this little pantomime conversation piece.

Anyway, the trip was great seeing a walled town and having free time for shopping. I stopped at a restaurant for a coffee, so the wife could use the restroom. I had an espresso. The manager came over and apologised for the high prices as Portugal were paying 23% VAT (UK is on 20%) and Spain could be cheaper, but they have had in increase their prices. I then paid the bill. It cost me 1 Euro. Yes, that's right, even with their price increase it was only 1 Euro. Compare that to onboard where it is $2.75 (2 Euros) or Florence at 3 Euro's, this was the cheapest ever and they thought it was expensive. So how much was it before the increase. I also asked if I could buy the little metal spoon (I only have plastic ones at home that fit the little cups) and they gave it to me for free.

We then travelled back into Spain and visited a lovely place with fantastic views of the Vigo below. The ship was only in port for 4 hours and this trip used every available minute of that tie and you saw alot. You could have just walked off the ship and into a shopping mall or a short walk to a market area. We did these as we returned to the ship just to see an oyster market.

That evening we did Chic and ate another menu we had seen before. There was no escaping the repeats from the way we had done the dinning previously. But still enjoyed all the food and service was still quicker in Chic than anywhere else.

This was the last sea day and we spent the morning going round and taking pictures of the ship, doing quizzes, and having fun.

We had been invited to a special VIP tour of the kitchens for Wonderland, with my competition from the chef show and the tasters and another couple that head chef Bruce liked. So to get on this special list, look out for head chef Bruce (you can't miss his big cheeky face) and talk to him, every time you see him. Be friendly to everyone and you get invited to these exclusive treats.

This was such fun, seeing how things were made and having alot of tasters. We also meet the other chefs involved and Chops Grille chef's whilst in there. We took pictures and videos of it all. Now I haven't posted any pictures or spoilers as I call them but there is 15 short video's I have put on my youtube channel if you want to have a little look. The playlist of all the videos is here:

Enjoy. The longest is 6 minutes and some are only 15 seconds long.

We also ate our final evening meal in Wonderland as well. We knew what was good from before, and wanted to try some other things we hadn't from before. And because we knew the portions were large, we had only ordered one main each to enjoy. This was our favourite venue for dinner and are so happy to see that Harmony of the Seas is getting a two-tiered Wonderland venue on board (as well as all the other things she will have) from Anthem(Quantum) as well as the WOW bands, and the bionic bar. Harmony is the best from Oasis plus the best from Anthem and some more added to wow even more. That could be our next RCCL cruise.

Day 15 was just disembarkation and that just as easy as getting onboard. So organised and nothing really to say about it. Just sad to leave her. First thing we did as we were leaving was to see how long before we return for my Birthday Cruise and it was 85 days then.

So in conclusion, The Anthem of the seas scores 4.8 out of 5 (always leave room for improvement and not everything is going to be to everyone's liking) and I hope this review helps others in planning and booking for her in the future. Thank you to all those that have left kind words for me in writing it and I will always come back and answer any further questions that might come up.

Now go and get cruising!!!

Really enjoyed your review.

I'm booked on Anthem from here in the States for Christmas with my family. I confess I have not done any research on her, as we never really anticipated sailing given the prices are much higher here in the East Coast. But, we got a decent price for a holiday, we're doing a quad room for all of us, so unless we decide not to go through with it, Christmas on Anthem it is.

I have little to no understanding of DD and I have zero about the shifting of the menus. If you have a few minutes, would you mind giving me a short education on both? If not, I completely understand...will try and search other threads to see what I have missed about them.

It looks like I should be making advance dining reservations for DD before we sail (we have selected DD). I just need a better understanding of how the menus change, so I can select some of the extra pay venues to sprinkle in. We're doing an 8 night sailing.

Thanks again for your wonderful report.

It looks like I should be making advance dining reservations for DD before we sail (we have selected DD). I just need a better understanding of how the menus change, so I can select some of the extra pay venues to sprinkle in. We're doing an 8 night sailing.

On your 8 day the menu will be changed to the second choice on day 5, so every 4 days. Because you are only doing 8 days and there are more choices of restaurant venues than days, then you shouldn't be eating in the same place twice. Book now for the times you want before it gets fully booked.

Can you clarify fro me when you say the men is changed every 4 days? Do you mean on the 4th day or after 4 days? In other words, new menu from day 1 is introduced on day 4 or day 5?

LOL thank you

Menu 1 on day 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Menu 2 on day 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Thank you for the detailed review, very helpful. I was wondering if you could shed more light on this

We will be on the 9nt Athem in June 2016. I have read that on some of the nights they have the same menu in all of the complimentary restaurants. Does anyone know which nights this is? Would be helpful when planning restaurant reservations

Thank you for the detailed review, very helpful. I was wondering if you could shed more light on this

We will be on the 9nt Athem in June 2016. I have read that on some of the nights they have the same menu in all of the complimentary restaurants. Does anyone know which nights this is? Would be helpful when planning restaurant reservations

After push-back, they have modified this: you can order from the bland combined menu OR off the regular menu for that restaurant.