Anthem Review (sailed 18th July 2015 - 14 Nights)

Thank you for the detailed review, very helpful. I was wondering if you could shed more light on this

We will be on the 9nt Athem in June 2016. I have read that on some of the nights they have the same menu in all of the complimentary restaurants. Does anyone know which nights this is? Would be helpful when planning restaurant reservations

I will explain this again with more detail as these 'other people' are missing out the important details on this matter and misleading people, including me.

When there is a 'gala' / 'royal evening' event going on, you get a Royal menu in all 4 complimentary restaurants that is the same in all 4 complimentary restaurants. So no matter which restaurant you are in, being one of the 4 complimentary restaurants, you will get this same menu.

You WILL ALSO get that venues normal menu AS WELL. You know have a choice to eat off both menu's with any course. This extra Royal menu is like a special menu you get in a normal land restaurant.

The specisl extra menu features a mixture from all 4 complimentary restaurants and you can be eating Silk food in the Grande.

The special extra royal menu DOES NOT replace that venue's menu. This fact has not been said by the 'other people'. Who have been saying it does and making everyone change venues because of this misleading information.

If anyone wants to disagree with these facts and want to mislead more future cruisers, then please stop posting rubbish on CC. You aren't helping anyone.

On our June cruise, we did not notice a difference with the menu on royal nights, the menu given was the same one, and only changed after one week, slightly, some items changed but others stayed the same. There was a section on the menu, cannot remember what it was called, and was the same in every resturants. It included things like, salomon and chicken

BTW, we were never given two menu, on the same evening to choose from, there were two sections to the menu, the section specific to the venue and the section that was the same in each venue. We thought this was very limiting, as we were not interested in the common options that were the same across all resturants.

I'm no food expert but for anyone who has seen the Gordon Ramsey tv show in the USA, there would have been a lot of shouting going on with what was delivered.

The second extra menu is really just a piece of card with 2 starters 3 mains and 2 desserts on it. You could have missed it, if not pointed out.

The venue menu is split into 3. 1 changes on longer cruises as mentioned above. 2 is the specials for that venue that stay there all the time in that venue and then 3 for the fussy eaters who want Salmon every night or dont fancy the others.

Do they still have sea day lunch in one of the more formal dining venues? If so which location. Wife is really hoping they haven't eliminated the tutti salad. Thx

I hope so!! That salad was awesome!! Not only that, I would get veggies only on the salad and a side of prosciutto. Then I would order melon from the waiter. I would have my appetizer of prosciutto and melon and then my salad as my "entree". Best ever!!

Yes they do. It's in the American Icon Grill.

Also there is a salad bar in two70 where you can make your own salads.

Was lunch also available in Silk? Some have reported it being open with same menu as American Icon.

Was lunch also available in Silk? Some have reported it being open with same menu as American Icon.

Silk is an overflow restaurant. So if AIG is full, Silk becomes available. Silk is on the same deck as AIG. The menu is the same as well.

Thanks for information.

You are very welcome. People posted answers for my questions before I sailed and it helped loads. So I am just doing the same for others. This is what Cruise Critic is meant to be about, not a place to moan.

When you have sailed, do the same and pass the knowledge on.

Thank you for your detailed review! I have a silly little question...was there a giant swing in the 270 venue? There was one on Anthem to the left when you entered the venue. It was great fun (even for us big kids). Thanks

Not a silly question at all, but a very good one.

Shame my answer isn't as good, because NO there isn't a giant swing. There is these wicker basket seating pods but no swing.

There's a big swing at the front of the solarium.

Looks like they moved it. Never sat in it, as by the time of day I got up there it had someone in it.

I'm not one for just laying around in the sun all day long on a sea day, I like to do something, like a quiz or crafts.

We have the same itinerary, right now I have booked the "Rock of Gibraltar & Upper Galleries" (want to do the tour with the cable car that it sounds like you did but I waited too long and all the online spaces are taken, I will need to try to switch on board) and our teenagers booked on the small group tour of Pisa and Florence but that is it.

Just reading through my post and spotted this little gem, that I need to tell you.

Your Teenagers or anyone under the age of 21, are NOT allowed of the ship without a Parent (or any adult willing to be their parent for the day). I did this for two girls in Lisbon, as they were aged 20 and 19 and still needed an adult parent to get off the ship. Security will stop them and ask. I just said I was their Dad and they were happy with this. Of course their Mum came to the theatre to find a responsible person to take care of them on our trip. But she couldn't find anyone and had to ask me. It's only needed for getting off, as they are not asked when returning.

Just making you aware of this in advance.

We were on the same sailing as you and it has been interesting to read of your experiences of this lovely ship, much of which I totally agree with. I did a similar day-to-day retrospective blog on another (UK) cruise forum and, like you, found it great to re-live our cruise through the blog.

Our favourite complimentary restaurant for food was American Icon and for ambiance was The Grande. Our least favourite (and by that I don't mean it was in any way bad) was Chic, so just goes to show we are all different. Just to add a bit more about the Royal Evenings, Captain Gus would hang around the Royal Esplanade so you could, if you wanted, have your photo taken with him - not for us but I know some people like that sort of thing.

Hope you enjoy your October sailing before she leaves our shores for the US.

Lorraine

Just to add a bit more about the Royal Evenings, Captain Gus would hang around the Royal Esplanade so you could, if you wanted, have your photo taken with him

Captain Claus (love autocorrect) was good enough to have his photo taken with us on an ordinary evening. He even waited about 5 minutes while we waited our turn with the photographer.

02e3a4a4a6b20bea2973140b6fa0fa77.jpg

We had prime table that night, so we were in our good stuff.

Our Captain was Captain Gus. Not Captain Claus as pictured above. No auto correct mistake made. Two different people. Captain Gus is going on Harmony when she launches.

Ahhh, I didn't know that. I saw Claus Vs Gus as a possible autocorrect issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, missed that bit out. It was a D8 on deck 6. Just after the hump so the balcony was huge. Nearly double the size of normal balcony size.

Do you have any pics of your cabin or the view and can you tell me if bed was by the balcony or door?

Do you have any pics of your cabin or the view and can you tell me if bed was by the balcony or door?

I have loads of pics, inside and out. I've made a lovely photo-book of them all. I'm not posting pictures on here as I feel it will spoil the surprise.

The bed was by the balcony. This I felt gave you alot more room to get ready in. Also don't forget the extra storage above the bed. There is no visible handles and I missed it until 4 days in.