Bringing Back Rum Cake

Squirty27

I am going to be bringing back rum cake for one of my co-workers. Is there anything I should know about bringing it back?

Can I bring it back to New York in my carry on without any problems? Do I have to pay duty on it or anything?

Thank you.

I am going to be bringing back rum cake for one of my co-workers. Is there anything I should know about bringing it back?

Can I bring it back to New York in my carry on without any problems? Do I have to pay duty on it or anything?

Thank you.

You would only have to pay duty if you used up your duty free exemption (it does need to be declared on your customs form just like everything else you buy and bring back). If anyone looks twice at your rum cake it is because they want to eat it:).

Edited by sparks1093

Thank you.

If you want to avoid buying and carrying it home, you can buy it on line. The Tortuga Rum Cakes from that big on line retailer (and I get free prime shipping) is as cheap or cheaper than most of the port stop stores, and no hassle. I do like it. Now....the Tortuga rum. Can't buy it except at port stops.

You would only have to pay duty if you used up your duty free exemption (it does need to be declared on your customs form just like everything else you buy and bring back). If anyone looks twice at your rum cake it is because they want to eat it:).

lol - ok -- will just save my receipts. I tried some last year. Too, "rummy" for me - would rather have all that rum in my drinks!

Thank you.

You will have to declare it on your customs form as "food", so there may be more questions, and you may have to show it at customs.

You will have to declare it on your customs form as "food", so there may be more questions, and you may have to show it at customs.

My BF and I have brought back rum cake a couple times and have never been questioned or asked to show it. I don't think customs has ever given my form more than half a glance.

I brought 2 back from the store in Dockyard and wrote it on my customs forms along with my 2 bottle of Gosling's. The cakes are in cryovac inside the boxes and customs didn't seem to have an issue.

Agree with this!

We declared it on our form and had it visible in our shopping bag, but no one gave it even a first look at customs. They seemed to be more interested once in the hot sauce we bought in MX. They read all of the ingredients in that and I am still not sure what they were looking for. Just make sure you declare whatever you but on the form.

You can also buy Tortuga rum cake onboard in the duty free shop. We declared the rum cake and no problems with customs

If I remember correctly, the Tortuga rum cake onboard was cheaper than on Bermuda. However, check the store onboard first and make sure they have the sizes/flavors you want. They usually have the large size and 6 packs of the small size, but each sailing could be stocked differently.

Maybe it depends on the color of your passport and the port, but I have never even had my luggage with me when going through customs. They collect the forms and away you go. You could have a suitcase of rum cakes (or rum) and I think you'd be fine. We used to always sneak in a few Cubanos too. I always wondered about someone shopping at Diamond International - how easy to bring that in...:eek:

In case it matters to anyone sailing to Bermuda, Tortuga rum cakes are made in the Caribbean, not in Bermuda. If you want rum cakes made in Bermuda, you can get them from the Bermuda Rum Cake Company in the Dockyards. I thought they were terrific. (Not everone likes rum cakes, though.)

My BF and I have brought back rum cake a couple times and have never been questioned or asked to show it. I don't think customs has ever given my form more than half a glance.

I'm glad you said this. I have never even had a glance with one exception.

In the late 90's, my name along with a few others, were paged over the ship PA system to come to a certain area on the ship. It was early, before I was dressed, and it was not a quick procedure. They had my receipts from the gift shop which included some jewelry which was over the limit. They had me fill out my form and pay right there. I have no idea if this was, or is the norm, but I have NEVER set foot in an NCL gift shop again!