Mosquitos on the Danube?

jeb_bud

I have been searching the forum about whether mosqitos are a problem on the Danube between Budapest and Nuremburg. The consensus seems to be, it depends on the year.

We will be cruising from Budapest to Nuremburg starting 24 August. I would really appreciate hearing from any recent cruisers on this stretch of the Danube. I'm sure the cabin lights will attract insects in the evening and that's fine as long as they are not biters:o.

The information I was able to find indicates that wet weather seems to exacerbate the mosquito situation. If that is the case this year shouldn't be too bad. As recent cruisers what was your experience?

There are mosquitos along the Danube, just as with any other waterway. The bite season is August to early October. It's not s safari, so leave the mosquito nets at home. You will probably not see or hear any as the boat travels at night. Just be prepared, take some insect repellant and gel in case you are bitten.

We did the Danube further east last year, and there were mosquitos. We didn't get any bites, but I killed dozens, we quit opening our french balcony doors. The worst place was in Hungary the day before we got Budapest. That said, they were not nearly as bad as I have experienced out west in Wyoming in June. Obviously, mosquitos are the worst around dawn and dusk.

jc