Questions and/or concerns about Escape Aft Facing Penthouse

Hammergirl

We are looking at moving from the 2 bedroom family haven suite (it is just the two of us) to an aft-facing suite, specifically for the balcony. I have some questions and concerns that hopefully you will be able to help me. Please forgive me as this is my first cruise in 11 years and it is for my 15th anniversary so I want it to be extra special.

From reading here - it sounds like deck 9 will have the largest balcony, is that correct? But then I hear people talking about configuration of rooms and I get lost. What are people talking about when they are talking about this? Are the rooms set up differently?

I realize that these rooms are FAR away from the Haven but I think we are OK with that. I see us spending more time on the balcony then up in the haven. But I worry that the service will not be the same since we are so far from the actual haven areas. Anyone have experience with this?

Also - I worry about seasickness. Now, I am not super prone to sea-sickness but it would be a shame to spend all that money and end up sick the whole time!

The last thing I am really worried about is that since we are on the back of the ship, will there be s strong exhaust smell and soot issue, or is this a non-issue. I also worry about noise from the night club and don't want to be kept up until all hours of the night with loud music.

Can anyone help me with my questions/concerns? I would really appreciate it!

Kristine

Okay, let's see if I can answer some of these. (Please keep in mind all of these answers are from info garnered from the Getaway/Breakaway ships. The Escape will have some differences but not by a lot)

1. Yes, deck 9 has the largest aft balconies. In order, largest to smallest: 9, 12, 11, 10, 13, 14. It's impossible to tell where deck 15 will fit in this scenario on the Escape but, based on current pictures, it will not be larger than 9 or 12.

2. There are two configurations, A and B. A=bed by the window (balcony) and bathroom tucked behind. B=bathroom by window (balcony) and bed tucked back behind it. On Escape, most appear to be configuration A contrary to the Away ships. Unknown for sure on Escape until more inside images are seen.

3. We have had the aft penthouse once on the Getaway and have been in the actual Haven area twice and, for the most part, saw no difference in service. We had one of the best butlers on all the NCL ships when aft, Lani. She goes above and beyond and really makes you feel special. We had a few minor issues with the room steward, however, they were dealt with very quickly. One benefit to being in the Haven itself is they do place there top of the line stewards in the actual Haven area so differences could be felt aft. We do not rely a great deal on the Concierge for reservations or special requests. If needed, though, they are always just a phone call away.

4. Seasickness is difficult to compare. We've had no issues with this in multiple aft cabins. This has been true with seas of up to 12 feet. YMMV. There is no guaranteeing calm seas so anything can happen.

5. We have never noticed an extreme exhaust smell or had issues with excessive soot. Has there been some? Sure, but never to the point of us having to avoid the balcony. Yet, again, there is no predicting wind directions so anything could happen.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure others will be along to give their opinions and preferences.

Edited by tarps14

We are looking at moving from the 2 bedroom family haven suite (it is just the two of us) to an aft-facing suite, specifically for the balcony. I have some questions and concerns that hopefully you will be able to help me. Please forgive me as this is my first cruise in 11 years and it is for my 15th anniversary so I want it to be extra special.

From reading here - it sounds like deck 9 will have the largest balcony, is that correct? But then I hear people talking about configuration of rooms and I get lost. What are people talking about when they are talking about this? Are the rooms set up differently?

I realize that these rooms are FAR away from the Haven but I think we are OK with that. I see us spending more time on the balcony then up in the haven. But I worry that the service will not be the same since we are so far from the actual haven areas. Anyone have experience with this?

Also - I worry about seasickness. Now, I am not super prone to sea-sickness but it would be a shame to spend all that money and end up sick the whole time!

The last thing I am really worried about is that since we are on the back of the ship, will there be s strong exhaust smell and soot issue, or is this a non-issue. I also worry about noise from the night club and don't want to be kept up until all hours of the night with loud music.

Can anyone help me with my questions/concerns? I would really appreciate it!

Kristine

Sounds like you are worried, worried, and more worried about staying in an aft suite. With all this worrying, just play it safe and stay in the two bedroom located in the actual Haven. You can also book the Courtyard Penthouse in the Haven, unless you prefer the two bathroom set up in the two bedroom suite.

We stayed in the aft penthouse on deck 9 back in November. We had our 13 year old son with us though. The balcony was wonderful, and with 3 in the room it was nice having the second bath.

Room setup is with the bathroom looking over the balcony. I think if we were to book this again, I would try to get the bedroom overlooking the balcony, and give up a little of the balcony size.

We did not notice any soot or smell problems.

We don't tend to get sea sickness, and this sailing was no different. I didn't feel any extra motion being at the aft of the ship.

Breakfast on the balcony every morning was wonderful on both sea days and port days.

We also will be celebrating our 15th anniversary our net sailing. Just the 2 of us this time. We have chosen to stay in the Haven courtyard penthouse this time. We like the idea of being right in the Haven. I think I will get a lot of use out of the pool area, and with the beverage package, we are right by the lounge to go grab a drink. I do like the convenience of the second bathroom for getting ready but with just the 2 of us, not that important. If they offered me the 2 bedroom for the same money I have spent now, I would probably switch for the extra room.

Whatever you decide, you will have a great trip. The service is wonderful.

Happy Anniversary.

• 1 month later...
Okay, let's see if I can answer some of these. (Please keep in mind all of these answers are from info garnered from the Getaway/Breakaway ships. The Escape will have some differences but not by a lot)

1. Yes, deck 9 has the largest aft balconies. In order, largest to smallest: 9, 12, 11, 10, 13, 14. It's impossible to tell where deck 15 will fit in this scenario on the Escape but, based on current pictures, it will not be larger than 9 or 12.

2. There are two configurations, A and B. A=bed by the window (balcony) and bathroom tucked behind. B=bathroom by window (balcony) and bed tucked back behind it. On Escape, most appear to be configuration A contrary to the Away ships. Unknown for sure on Escape until more inside images are seen.

3. We have had the aft penthouse once on the Getaway and have been in the actual Haven area twice and, for the most part, saw no difference in service. We had one of the best butlers on all the NCL ships when aft, Lani. She goes above and beyond and really makes you feel special. We had a few minor issues with the room steward, however, they were dealt with very quickly. One benefit to being in the Haven itself is they do place there top of the line stewards in the actual Haven area so differences could be felt aft. We do not rely a great deal on the Concierge for reservations or special requests. If needed, though, they are always just a phone call away.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure others will be along to give their opinions and preferences.

Just moved from an Aft Penthouse on 11 to deck 13. Is the difference in balcony size very great ? Understanding with the setback the higher up you go that makes sense that they would get smaller. Noticed that on Oasis Aqua Suites. Just thought the higher level 13 vs 11 would make a better view. Just don't want to sacrifice too much balcony though. Thanks Gerry

We are booked in an aft-penthouse on Deck 11 on the Escape next July and I am now paranoid that we will be one of the lucky recipients of a "B" configuration. It seems that NCL doesn't know the configurations of the rooms either. Does anyone know when we'll learn our fate? I shudder at the thought of having to walk through our bathroom to look out the window!

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

We are booked in an aft-penthouse on Deck 11 on the Escape next July and I am now paranoid that we will be one of the lucky recipients of a "B" configuration. It seems that NCL doesn't know the configurations of the rooms either. Does anyone know when we'll learn our fate? I shudder at the thought of having to walk through our bathroom to look out the window!

Deck 11 on Escape has the bathroom by the balcony. This is not speculation.

We are booked in an aft-penthouse on Deck 11 on the Escape next July and I am now paranoid that we will be one of the lucky recipients of a "B" configuration.

So far, we are all using the most recent aft pictures to determine configuration. (see photo below)

It seems that NCL doesn't know the configurations of the rooms either. Does anyone know when we'll learn our fate?

Until CC members actually sail, most info out there should be taken with a grain of salt.

I shudder at the thought of having to walk through our bathroom to look out the window!

Even if you are in configuration B, you still have access to the balcony through the living room. Some actually prefer the natural light in the master bathroom.

15xpyja.png

Looking at the picture above, it appears that decks 11 and 14 have the master bathroom next to the balcony. This is based on the large square window on the corner of the balcony. The BA/GA H6 rooms with the large square window have the master bathroom next to the balcony (Config B) so most are using the windows on Escape as a guide.

For balcony size (deepest to least deep) most are also using pictures since nobody on CC has had a chance to actually measure.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Do you mean you are "lucky" to have a balcony facing tub or "not wanting" a balcony facing tub ? What do you think is preferable or what do most people prefer ? Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

Deck 11 on Escape has the bathroom by the balcony. This is not speculation.

Thanks for the info. For the future, how would I find this out? When we booked a forward, then called back and changed to aft, our PCC didn't know what the final layout would be of the room. I must be missing something somewhere...still new to the cruise lingo and all.

Do you mean you are "lucky" to have a balcony facing tub or "not wanting" a balcony facing tub ? What do you think is preferable or what do most people prefer ? Gerry.

In this case, I'm being a little sarcastic (I do that sometimes :rolleyes:). We do not want the tub next to the balcony. I don't want to walk through the bathroom to see the outside world/ocean. All in all, it's a matter of preference. We aren't "tub" people, so it won't be used much, if at all. On the other hand, we had a mini-suite aft balcony on the Jewel and the door spent a lot of time open. We enjoyed the breezes, the view, and the serenity...until someone on another balcony lit up a cigarette, but that's another issue altogether.

It would seem that we are booked in the bath next to the balcony and I'm thinking we are changing that.

In this case, I'm being a little sarcastic (I do that sometimes :rolleyes:). We do not want the tub next to the balcony. I don't want to walk through the bathroom to see the outside world/ocean. All in all, it's a matter of preference. We aren't "tub" people, so it won't be used much, if at all. On the other hand, we had a mini-suite aft balcony on the Jewel and the door spent a lot of time open. We enjoyed the breezes, the view, and the serenity...until someone on another balcony lit up a cigarette, but that's another issue altogether.

It would seem that we are booked in the bath next to the balcony and I'm thinking we are changing that.

Thanks. Thought so, smiley face, but...I am not sure myself. In reality probably won't use the tub much, however it seems the bathroom could perhaps be nicer and the bathroom lighter, but do not understand why NCL does not show both possible Aft Penthouse configurations on the floorplans. Wondering what the bedroom setup might look like in the other configuration. At this point in time I can choose deck 11, lower and according to one CC review, a larger balcony or deck 13, where I currently have booked with the bedroom/balcony configuration and higher up. Is 2 decks higher that big a deal. Anyone familiar with this feel free to jump in. Thanks Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

Thanks. Thought so, smiley face, but...I am not sure myself. In reality probably won't use the tub much, however it seems the bathroom could perhaps be nicer and the bathroom lighter, but do not understand why NCL does not show both possible Aft Penthouse configurations on the floorplans. Wondering what the bedroom setup might look like in the other configuration. At this point in time I can choose deck 11, lower and according to one CC review, a larger balcony or deck 13, where I currently have booked with the bedroom/balcony configuration and higher up. Is 2 decks higher that big a deal. Anyone familiar with this feel free to jump in. Thanks Gerry.

Hi Gerry. We called NCL and moved up to deck 12 so we could have the bed by the balcony. I am in agreement that they should let you know which configuration is available in which room so one is not disappointed when one arrives onboard and it's too late to change. As for higher up...that's still a matter of preference. 2 decks probably won't make that much of a difference in this scenario. If you were comparing, say, deck 9 and deck 15, then you have some thinking to do. I won't lie, balcony size was a consideration and part of the reason we moved from the front to the back with this reservation. I understand 12 is probably bigger than 11, and 11 is probably bigger than 13, although all of the aft-penthouse balconies should be large enough for the requisite 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and dining table with 4 chairs.

Happy Cruising!

• 11 months later...

Edited by Ackisland