Changes to ports

Warrior Princess

Has anyone else had the message that the Azura will now not be visiting Le Spezia on 19th September but will now dock in Livorno, we chose this cruise specifically because we had not been to 3 of the ports on the schedule but we have been to Livorno, Florence Pisa and wanted somewhere we had not been. We are disappointed as the only reason given was that we needed to anchor and we are now tendering also at Ajacio we were supposed to be docking there. Get sorted P&O if they advertise a port they should book ahead to make sure the ship can get in on that date, we have had this happen before in Norway when a bigger ship got in before us.

Has anyone else had the message that the Azura will now not be visiting Le Spezia on 19th September but will now dock in Livorno, we chose this cruise specifically because we had not been to 3 of the ports on the schedule but we have been to Livorno, Florence Pisa and wanted somewhere we had not been. We are disappointed as the only reason given was that we needed to anchor and we are now tendering also at Ajacio we were supposed to be docking there. Get sorted P&O if they advertise a port they should book ahead to make sure the ship can get in on that date, we have had this happen before in Norway when a bigger ship got in before us.

It is so disappointing when you miss a port that you are really looking forward to. P and O cover this in their small print.:(

If it upsets you that any cruise line does not stick to the ports it states it is visiting, then maybe cruising is not for you.

Book land holidays to where you want to go, then you might get there.

Never ever book a cruise because you must go to the ports. There are so many variables that could effect whether you actually get there-usually the weather.

We've missed out a complete port on one cruise.

This was due to the pilot boat drivers strike in Norway and completely beyond P&O's control we just had a slow cruise back to the UK with and extra day at sea.

These things happen and P&O have to act accordingly.

Edited by Scorpio41

The most extreme case of missing ports I have experienced personally on a cruise is missing all the ports and spending eighteen consecutive sea days on board. This was not a P&O cruise and down to weather so not the cruise lines fault. It happens fortunately we were with experienced cruisers who made the best of it. On another occasion the ship failed to arrive at the embarkation port; Southampton and we boarded two days later at Dover, where they managed to get a late booking berth. This was due to bad weather in the Atlantic. I felt bad for the Americans who had got flights reserved for two days ago! So our five night cruise became a two night land based stay in hotels in Southampton and Dover with a three night cruise and the overnight at the final port to enjoy the festival became a dash through the city to get straight to the airport to get flights home. People started to say lets get a portfolio of photos and incidents to make a claim I just laughed.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Now that is the sort of attitude one needs. I admire you.

No cruise company misses out ports of call out of spite or other such reason. They have a set of parameters if things go wrong they have to work around.

We were supposed to go to the Holy land a few years back, just before Christmas. The locals took to lobbing missiles at each other, so we did not make 2-3 ports that time.

Upside was we got an overnight in Istanbul, which I loved.

We also missed out Bergen, due to a pilot strike, as mentioned earlier, so I wonder if we were on the same cruise. I think it was on Aurora.

We did a NCL cruise to the Canary Islands 2 years ago and because of swells in the atlantic didn't actually get into any Canary Island. We did get into Madeira which was lovely but the Canary Islands days became sea days. Hubby was ill for about five days. Needless to say he is not fussed about cruising with NCL again.:(

I feel for you and its not even blameable (is that a word) on the weather.

My mum wanted a holiday in Jersey and I thought Id book a little cruise that stopped off in Jersey for us, you can guess what happened :o.

Yes we all know (or should) that the weather or situations such as industrial action or political instability which are clearly outside of the control of the cruise company may result in changes to the itinerary or cancelled ports as described already. As disappointing as these may be we have to accept that as a feature of choosing a cruise holiday. But changes made which are not due to such events are a different matter.

However it would be nice to know what circumstances prompt alterations to itineraries prior to sailing especially those where ports are substituted. Cruise companies plan their itineraries and book berths way in advance of taking bookings - so what happens close to departure which suddenly necessitates a change? Didn't they already have it sussed out whether they can dock/tender? And people do choose itineraries based on places they would like to visit (unless they just want to stay on the ship from choice) so it is very disappointing when ports are pulled. I would like to know the rationale behind some of these changes.

Edited by kruzseeka

There are only two ships in on that day. We have been to La Spezia three times and always tendered there so I wonder why that makes it a no-go for Azura. Interesting Cunard have also cancelled this port. It would be interesting to know if other cruise lines have done the same.

We did a NCL cruise to the Canary Islands 2 years ago and because of swells in the atlantic didn't actually get into any Canary Island. We did get into Madeira which was lovely but the Canary Islands days became sea days. Hubby was ill for about five days. Needless to say he is not fussed about cruising with NCL again.:(

That's a rather silly reason not to want to cruise with NCL again. Based on what you've said here, it sounds like he is upset with NCL because the weather was bad? :rolleyes:

Cunard have cancelled La Spezia as well, the berth was part of an Italian Naval base & permission to use it has been withdrawn.

There is always a good reason behind port change decisions but CC users always jump to other conclusions. Thanks for the info.

We are also on this cruise and a little disappointed by this change. We have already booked and paid for an excursion from La Spezia - "Beautiful Cinque Terra" - and I'm not sure if it can be done from Livorno as it is that much further south. (That said I see that it is still in the advertised excursions, but now with a duration of 9 1/2 hours instead of 7 1/2.)

Can I ask the OP (Warrior Princess) how they learned about this change of itinerary? We have not heard from P&O so far.

Edited by tom_uk

We are also on this cruise and a little disappointed by this change. We have already booked and paid for an excursion from La Spezia - "Beautiful Cinque Terra" - and I'm not sure if it can be done from Livorno as it is that much further south. (That said I see that it is still in the advertised excursions, but now with a duration of 9 1/2 hours instead of 7 1/2.)

Can I ask the OP (Warrior Princess) how they learned about this change of itinerary? We have not heard from P&O so far.

Well if you can still do the Cinque Terre from Livorno I'd recommend that you do even with the longer excursion time - it's stunning. It's a pity though as it's very easy to do the Cinque Terre from La Spezia independently and choose which towns you want to spend most time at and how to plan your day (train and/or ferry and walk - along the Via del Amore) but I guess the greater distances involved would make it advisable to go with the ship's trip. I hope you get there and love it as much as we do!

Ooo that's hopefully an unusual swell Wilson,as we are doing same itinerary in a few weeks on Azura! What a shame for you.

Azura's been to la spezia today according to my MarineTraffic app, but she's recently departed so now can't check if docked or was at anchor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have an overnight in Istanbul on our upcoming cruise. There is a report out by the Foreign Office of terrorist threats to pubic transport. I was wondering if P& O will still go there?

For a change I'm sailing with Princess on the 19th Sept they've reduced our time in Istanbul Athens and Mykonos saying Port Congestion is the issue !! altogether we've lost 9 hours in port !! but they keep saying its in the small print - Really disappointed though don't think I'll even get off in Istanbul now with the current situation ...

For a change I'm sailing with Princess on the 19th Sept they've reduced our time in Istanbul Athens and Mykonos saying Port Congestion is the issue !! altogether we've lost 9 hours in port !! but they keep saying its in the small print - Really disappointed though don't think I'll even get off in Istanbul now with the current situation ...

And that's going to be an ever increasing problem with the growth in the cruise industry! Disappointing though as given shorter and shorter port times it would make a real difference to us since it's visiting new places and exploring independently with a decent amount of time in port is our preferred choice when considering itineraries.

If cruise lines choose to have short port stops I think they have a moral responsibility to advertise that prior to folk booking as it may well affect whether they would book that cruise or not. To do it close to departure isn't good PR - and did they really not know how many other ships were in port when they reserved their berth? If they have a berth and have prebooked their tour operators then it's the later bookers who have the problem isn't it? I suppose they would say it's for the comfort/convenience of their passengers!

We once booked a cruise over a year ahead because it had two new ports we wanted to visit. Six months later the new brochure appeared and both those ports had disappeared! The cruise company claimed they were able to do that and it was in the small print as it didn't constitute a 'major change'. 60% of the ports in one week different from those we'd booked? Looks pretty major to me. They made these changes six months after first bookings were taken and nine months before the cruise. Whatever their reasons, I suspect it was operational and probably economic. They were very resistant to us cancelling without a cost! We were resistant to paying anything. I'd still have gone on the cruise I'd booked - the one they had now substituted just wasn't it. We cancelled and paid nothing in the end but it left a sour taste in terms of how companies can try to change the goal posts and that having taken our booking it seems they feel able to play fast and loose with passenger's trust.

Shorter port times of course means slower speeds between ports and less berthing costs - I wonder how often that is a factor?

Well if you can still do the Cinque Terre from Livorno I'd recommend that you do even with the longer excursion time - it's stunning. It's a pity though as it's very easy to do the Cinque Terre from La Spezia independently and choose which towns you want to spend most time at and how to plan your day (train and/or ferry and walk - along the Via del Amore) but I guess the greater distances involved would make it advisable to go with the ship's trip. I hope you get there and love it as much as we do!

It now appears that the Cinque Terra excursion won't be available from Livorno - too far, it seems (it's an extra hour each way). Looking at the map I can see why - the Cinque Terra area is in fact almost as far north as Genoa.

It's disappointing - going to La Spezia and being able to get to the Cinque Terra was going to be one of the highlights of this cruise, and was one of the reasons we specifically chose it.

Still, never mind. We've booked a pasta, pizza & wine excursion as a replacement.....

My husband had an email as it was his details given when we booked the cruise, although P&O have my details I was not informed. If you booked via a travel agency they may have been given details but they are not always first to know. Luckily we did not book any tours from there as we wanted to see the place however we may now book something from Livorna although not Florence and Pisa as we have done that.

My husband had the email not me as his details are registered if you booked with a travel agent they may not have got round to letting you know