Gratuties

dodgydino

I did reduce my tips to the waiters on one cruise - envelopes were in use then as the service wasn't very good throughout with them either hurrying us thru courses or being long waits between courses, they were not particularly friendly or helpful so overall they were adequate. I still tipped them as they were not bad and never split anything on us.... ( I did se many dodge the last night so as not to pay)

With auto grats - I leave them on unless the service is bad but I would politely complain beforehand and see if service improved before I did - hasn't happened yet.

I have tipped the wine waiters as they normally have given me excellent service well above what I would have expected.

P&O have the lowest grats of any line that expects you to pay them an its all upfront in their booking so you should know what you are getting.

We leave the auto gratuities in place and often tip extra to people who have been particularly looking after us well.

Same here. :):D

It is our way of saying a personal "Thank you".

Edited by Presto2

Aren't they all?

David.

We have only ever been with P&O and Princess. Princess we didn't really like after P&O. But we have noticed some differences.

We will probably try other lines, I have heard NCL are good but don't know much about them.

We have only ever been with P&O and Princess. Princess we didn't really like after P&O. But we have noticed some differences.

We will probably try other lines, I have heard NCL are good but don't know much about them.

NCL iare very casual no formal nights no set dining . We've been 3 times now including last Christmas and New Year from Malaga to the Canaries. Very enjoyable but as I said very casual.

Do many people take the tips off? Didn't even realise you could

Funnily enough there is seemingly always a big queue at reception on the last day. Some people even do the buffet on the last night to avoid contact with their regular waiters. I regard passengers who do this sort of thing tightwads.

Regards John

As for Gratuities . I've been through the whole cycle .

In the beginning I was all British and took Cash to pay individuals . The theory behind that was " You cant pay for service until you've had it " Then I let it go on my on board account which I normally let go into my credit card at the end of the cruise. Now with 20+ cruises under my belt I just prepay when I settle the final cruise balance and don't give it another thought. Although I didn't get that option with P and O so I will just let it go onto my on board account

Edited by glynandkath

I also complete the questionnaire, and have always so far given the room steward top marks. We have never had a problem one and I know the questionnaire matters.

This questionnaire is vitally important to your cabin steward. My cruising mate always tends to make friends with the cabin steward and talks in depth about the set up. Our last cabin steward divulged that there is a bonus scheme on P&O paid by the cruise line as part of their wages. Each steward must have a "top marks all round" from a minimum of three cabins he/she services to get this extra payment from the company. This is of course nothing to do with tips but it does show that people must complete this type of form.

Regards John

And don't forget that on US cruise lines you also pay an extra 18% on top of every purchase ... and there is still an extra line on the bill for additional gratuities if you so wish.

Not on all American cruise lines Princess only charge 15% and the spirits measures are 44ml compared to 25ml with P&O and Princess dont charge for mixers with a spirit not like the rip off prices P&O charge on top of spirit for mixers therefore making Princess cheaper.

Not on all American cruise lines Princess only charge 15% and the spirits measures are 44ml compared to 25ml with P&O and Princess dont charge for mixers with a spirit not like the rip off prices P&O charge on top of spirit for mixers therefore making Princess cheaper.

Thanks, didn't know that. Must admit 50p for a shot of lime in a larger was a bit steep!

On our recent cruise onboard Ventura, we left the auto-tips on and gave our cabin steward 30 Euros extra at the end of the cruise. The only other 'over and above' tip we gave was for the one time we ordered room service and that was just a few Euros.

I think, if you are on Anytime/Freedom Dining then it is very unfair to turn the tips off. You are, in theory, served by different waiters every night so the option of handing out envelopes on the last night isn't really practicable.

If you cruise then, in my opinion you should accept that tipping is an integral part of the experience. If you cannot, or will not accept this then you should look elsewhere for your holiday or at the very least book with a cruise company that includes gratuities within the price of the cruise.

In respect of two people in a cabin I wonder if it possible to leave the tips in place for one and use the amount for the other person to tip individually. While I leave the tips in place I also tip individually to those who have given exceptional service such as the cabin steward and the head waiter organising my vegetarian meals.

However, after reading several threads on the subject I feel I'm tipping too much but don't particularly want to be seen as a scrooge by removing the daily tipping charge altogether.

Instead of adding the tip at the start of the cruise in one payment, maybe the auto tip could be added daily and people would have to go everyday and have a VALID reason for that days tip to be removed.?

They must visit CS by midnight and give a valid reason for that day, if they go the next day then it's to late. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The answer is very clear and one which I have thought about for some time. Stop the auto tip, tell people tipping is not needed now. And put the cost of the cruise up. Then all this nonsense stops and the crew are treated fairly and the people who won't tip are stuffed.

I do agree wholeheartedly.

The answer is very clear and one which I have thought about for some time. Stop the auto tip, tell people tipping is not needed now. And put the cost of the cruise up. Then all this nonsense stops and the crew are treated fairly and the people who won't tip are stuffed.

Seems to work for Thomson's and a few others? [emoji106]

Seems to work for Thomson's and a few others? [emoji106]

Yes, no evidence of any reduction in the standard of service :)

Of course increasing the headline price of the cruise will be looked at in horror by the corporate bean counters :rolleyes:

Hear Hear! Fed up with hearing the moaning about tipping. Include it in cost of cruise and be done with it.

The stark difference in attitude to tipping between the nationalities is clear. Read the NCL forum for example and whilst our American cousins discuss the service charge, which is far higher than PO, they also routinely tip after being served drinks, $ here and a $ there to the bar staff. I know it's a cultural thing but some of us Brits just hate tipping. I'm not saying that stiffing, waiters and cabin stewards is right, it clearly isn't, but it's the way it is for some.

Clearly making it part of the fare is the best solution.

Edited by bobstheboy